Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Simon Hill
"Neither team really had the quality"
 real 14k

Coventry's Mark Edworthy
"Nice to get an equalizer"
 real 56k

Man City's Darren Huckerby
"It was a good game for the fans"
 real 56k

Coventry manager Gordon Strachan
"We are on the road to recovery"
 real 56k

Monday, 1 January, 2001, 17:21 GMT
Coventry's Edworthy denies Man City
Telfer and Haaland
Telfer (l) challenges Haaland at Highfield Road
Coventry 1-1 Manchester City

Manchester City goalkeeper Nicky Weaver's error gifted Marc Edworthy his first goal for Coventry as the Sky Blues fought back for a draw at Highfield Road.

The away side were on top of this relegation battle after Paulo Wanchope scored the opener with 54 minutes gone.

But Edworthy grabbed the equaliser, his first goal in more than four years, when Weaver allowed his hopeful 25-yard shot to pass him at the near post after 72 minutes.

It was Weaver's second blunder in 48 hours. His poor clearance led to Charlton's second goal in a 4-1 defeat at the weekend.

Only one point separated the teams beforehand, with Coventry fourth bottom and their opponents two places lower in 19th.

Manchester City boss Joe Royle made six changes to his starting line-up and gave a full debut to recent signing Huckerby, who had spent three seasons with the Sky Blues.

  Key moments
26 mins: Coventry penalty claims rejected after ball hits Wanchope's arm
54: Wanchope puts the visitors ahead
58: Wanchope blows chance for a second
72: Edworthy levels for Coventry
74: Hadji nearly puts home side ahead

Huckerby, who scored the consolation goal as a subsitute against Charlton, was the main early source of danger.

He forced keeper Kirkland into a hurried clearance almost straight from the kick-off.

Huckerby also saw both a goalbound shot and threatening run inside the penalty area cleared for a corner.

Meanwhile, Richard Edghill, playing his first Premiership game since August, blazed a shot over from 12 yards.

Coventry gradually began to threaten, with Weaver tipping over a Steve Howey mis-kick and Paul Williams wasting a good heading opportunity.

My scoring record's been a bit appalling, so it was nice to get the equaliser
  Marc Edworthy

Coventry continued to pressure without creating too many clear-cut chances

Weaver parried a Craig Bellamy drive for a corner, while Wanchope appeared to touch the ball with his arm in his own area, but the spot-kick appeal was turned down.

Manchester City's keeper was called into action again, tipping over a Quinn shot which looped off defender Richard Dunne.

Just as the away side showed frustration, with Huckerby booked for dissent, they nearly went ahead.

Centre-half Steve Howey's powerful header from an Ian Bishop free-kick was palmed out by Kirkland and Gary Breen headed clear for a corner.

The hosts looked to maintain their dominance after the break, and Ysrael Ziniga fired a close-range volley over.

But then Manchester City forced an opener.

We started well and probably deserved the point
  Darren Huckerby

Huckerby pressed down the right flank, and fed an inviting low ball into the area for Wanchope, who made no mistake.

The Costa Rican striker had a gilt-edged chance to grab his second four minutes later, but Kirkland halted his run and then Wanchope could not convert after rounding the keeper.

Williams looked set to equalise, but headed over Thompson's 71st minute corner.

A minute later, Coventry were level - largely thanks to Weaver.

Edworthy fired a speculative 25-yard shot which should have been a routine stop for the highly-rated young keeper, but the ball bounced past him at the near post.

It was only the third goal of Edworthy's 10-year career. The last one came for Crystal Palace against Bury in September 1996.

Rattled by the strike, Manchester City almost leaked another when Dunne fluffed his clearance only for Hadji to fire inches wide.

Coventry: Kirkland, Edworthy, Breen, Williams, Quinn, Thompson, Carsley, Telfer, Bellamy, Zuniga, Hadji. Subs: Shaw, Chippo, Eustace, Aloisi, Hydlgaard.

Manchester City: Weaver, Dunne, Morrison, Howey, Edghill, Bishop, Haaland, Tiatto, Granville, Wanchope, Huckerby. Subs: Prior, Goater, Wright, Wright-Phillips, Charvet.

Referee: B Knight (Orpington)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

30 Dec 00 |  Eng Prem
Sorry City gift Addicks vital win
30 Dec 00 |  Eng Prem
Battling Boro deny Sky Blues
Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top