Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Prem  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Simon Brotherton
"John Robinson rescued a point"
 real 14k

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley
"The fans are happy, I'm happy"
 real 14k

United boss Ferguson
"It's important we took something from the game"
 real 56k

Saturday, 9 December, 2000, 18:54 GMT
Battling Charlton hold Man Utd
Ryan Giggs (third left) and the Manchester United team
United's second was an amazing strike from a restart
Charlton Athletic 3-3 Manchester United

United were held to a draw by the battling hosts in a thrilling encounter at The Valley.

Ryan Giggs was involved in all three of United's goals, scored by himself, Roy Keane and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer.

The Norwegian's was an amazing strike from a Charlton restart and came after Giggs hit the woodwork from halfway.

But two goals from home debutant Shaun Bartlett and a late equaliser from John Robinson made sure of a point for the home side.

We were shell-shocked at half-time, to play that well and go in 2-1 down
  Alan Curbishley
Charlton manager

Charlton took an early lead through Bartlett, only to see United go 3-1 ahead, before their late revival.

United barely got hold of the ball for the first 20 minutes.

Their first shot on goal did not come until six minutes before half time when Keane threaded a ball through for Giggs.

Shaun Bartlett
Bartlett celebrates taking the lead

His curling shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Kiely.

Four minutes later, Solskjaer made a run down the right wing.

He squared for Giggs to curl the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

The second goal amazingly came straight from restart as Charlton gave the ball away to Giggs.

From the halfway line he launched a looping shot bounced back off the underside of the crossbar.

Solskjaer was there to follow up and Charlton had seen a lead turn to a deficit within a minute.

It was a magnificent game of football. Six goals and it could have been more. So we've contributed once again to a really entertaining match and that pleases me
  Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson
Giggs was also involved in the third goal midway through the second half.

His long pass found Keane, who calmly placed the ball beyond the reach of the diving goalkeeper.

Charlton refused to lie down and 11 minutes from the end, Bartlett knocked a header past Raimond van der Gouw.

With five minutes remaining, Robinson turned and shot sweetly into the far corner after United had failed to clear a free kick.

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Powell, Stuart, Rufus, Kinsella, Jensen, Johansson, Salako, Fish, Bartlett. Subs: Robinson, Brown, Konchesky, Svensson, Caig.

Man Utd: Van Der Gouw, G. Neville, Brown, Silvestre, P. Neville, Giggs, Keane, Beckham, Butt, Solskjaer, Chadwick. Subs: Irwin, Sheringham, Scholes, Rachubka, Greening.

Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Eng Prem stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Prem stories

^^ Back to top