Plymouth 4 - 1 Northampton
Page last updated at 19:26 GMT, Saturday, 26 November 2011
Plymouth shrugged off their shock FA Cup defeat at Stourbridge as a first-half goal-blitz saw off Northampton.
Three goals came within the opening 17 minutes for rock bottom Argyle, who ended their seven-match winless run.
Simon Walton converted a penalty after John Johnson's handball and then Nick Chadwick headed a second in his first match since returning to Home Park.
Will Atkinson and Ashley Hemmings made it 4-0 at half-time, before Adebayo Akinfenwa scored a late consolation.
Hemmings joined Plymouth from Wolves on Thursday, while Chadwick moved on loan from Stockport, three years after ending his first spell at Home Park.
Chadwick, making his 50th league start for the Pilgrims, netted his 11th goal for the club with a powerful header from Conor Hourihane's cross.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Nick Chadwick's last goal for Plymouth was in September 2007, in a 1-1 draw against Wolves in the Championship
Atkinson made it 3-0 on 17 minutes when his mazy run ended with an angled shot that flew in past Northampton goalkeeper Sam Walker.
And things would get worse for the Cobblers just before half time when Chadwick set up 20-year-old Hemmings to score his first goal in professional football.
Northampton have now conceded 11 times in their last two matches following a 7-2 home defeat by Shrewsbury in their last outing, David Lee's only game as caretaker manager.
It was a miserable day for former England goalkeeper Tim Flowers, who was taking temporary control of Northampton for the first time since Lee's exit.
Akinfenwa's late header was no more than a consolation for the visitors, who have not won any of their last eight league matches and are in 21st place in the table.
Plymouth, meanwhile, remain bottom but are now just three points adrift of safety.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Plymouth Argyle manager Carl Fletcher told BBC Radio Devon:
"We had a few new faces and I'm really pleased with the result.
"We could have played anyone today and we'd have beaten them.
"I'm really pleased for the lads that have been here all season, its been a tough week."
Northampton Town caretaker manager Tim Flowers tells BBC Radio Northampton:
"We were completely and utterly blown within 17 minutes - run over the top of by a team that's bottom of the table. That's no disrespect to Plymouth, because they murdered us.
"Defensively, out of possession, it was a horrendous performance in the first half. We were second best to everything. It's unbelievable.
"Whoever comes in (as manager), the mission is the keep the club in the league. The Blue Square Bet Premier is littered with clubs like us who've gone and haven't come back."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 26 November 2011
Npower League Two
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 23 Cole
- 02 Berry
- 05 Purse
- 14 Bhasera
- 22 Blanchard
- 08 Walton (Young 80)
- 20 Hourihane
- 21 Atkinson
- 10 Sutherland (Daley 81)
- 29 Chadwick (Lecointe 73)
- 31 Hemmings
- 01 Larrieu,
- 06 Nelson,
- 07 Daley,
- 15 Young,
- 27 Lecointe
- 01 Walker
- 03 Corker
- 04 Crowe
- 05 Tozer
- 14 Johnson yellow card
- 25 Westwood
- 07 Davies
- 17 Jacobs
- 31 Niven (Turnbull 46)
- 08 Robinson
- 10 Akinfenwa yellow card
- 26 Hall,
- 28 Langmead,
- 11 Holt,
- 15 Turnbull,
- 18 Purcell
- Plymouth 50%
- Northampton 50%
Attempts on target
- Plymouth 6
- Northampton 2
Attempts off target
- Plymouth 8
- Northampton 5
- Plymouth 5
- Northampton 1
- Plymouth 7
- Northampton 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:38 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+2:08 Ben Tozer provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+2:08 GOAL - Adebayo Akinfenwa:Plymouth 4 - 1 Northampton Adebayo Akinfenwa finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Plymouth 4-1 Northampton.
- 90:00+1:54 Paul Turnbull produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the area and strikes the post.
- Correction - 89:33 The assistant referee flags for offside against Luke Daley. Free kick taken by Paul Turnbull.
- 89:33 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Paul Turnbull.
- 87:12 Luke Young produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 83:57 Free kick taken by Ashley Hemmings. Shot from just outside the box by Luke Young goes over the bar.
- 83:57 Booking Adebayo Akinfenwa goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 83:35 Adebayo Akinfenwa challenges Onismor Bhasera unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 79:48 Substitution Craig Sutherland goes off and Luke Daley comes on.
- 79:48 Substitution (Plymouth) makes a substitution, with Luke Young coming on for Simon Walton.
- 79:02 Craig Sutherland is ruled offside. Sam Walker takes the free kick.
- 78:19 Simon Walton produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 75:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Durrell Berry by Ben Tozer. Darren Purse takes the free kick.
- 73:50 Paul Turnbull concedes a free kick for a foul on Will Atkinson. Darren Purse takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 72:16 Substitution Nick Chadwick leaves the field to be replaced by Matt Lecointe.
- Correction - 72:16 Nick Chadwick concedes a free kick for a foul on Ashley Westwood.
- 72:16 Free kick taken by Paul Turnbull.
- 72:16 Substitution Matt Lecointe comes on in place of Nick Chadwick.
- 72:16 Nick Chadwick gives away a for an unfair challenge on Ashley Westwood.
- 71:15 Unfair challenge on Paul Turnbull by Maxime Blanchard results in a free kick. Ashley Westwood restarts play with the free kick.
- 70:19 Nick Chadwick challenges Ashley Corker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ashley Westwood takes the free kick.
- 69:32 John Johnson fouled by Nick Chadwick, the ref awards a free kick. Sam Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 66:33 Craig Sutherland fouled by John Johnson, the ref awards a free kick. Ashley Hemmings restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:53 Headed effort from deep inside the area by Nick Chadwick misses to the right of the target.
- 60:48 Ashley Hemmings crosses the ball, Darren Purse produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 60:22 Unfair challenge on Nick Chadwick by John Johnson results in a free kick. Onismor Bhasera takes the direct free kick.
- 59:45 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Sam Walker.
- 54:40 Onismor Bhasera challenges Michael Jacobs unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jason Crowe takes the direct free kick.
- 50:11 Unfair challenge on Michael Jacobs by Simon Walton results in a free kick. Sam Walker takes the direct free kick.
- 49:34 Ashley Corker gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Will Atkinson. Darren Purse takes the free kick.
- 49:09 Shot by Conor Hourihane from outside the box goes over the target.
- 48:10 Unfair challenge on Will Atkinson by Ashley Corker results in a free kick. Darren Purse takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Paul Turnbull is brought on as a substitute for Derek Niven.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:24 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:43 Adebayo Akinfenwa has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 43:19 Assist on the goal came from Nick Chadwick.
- 43:19 GOAL - Ashley Hemmings:Plymouth 4 - 0 Northampton Ashley Hemmings fires in a goal from just inside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Plymouth 4-0 Northampton.
- 43:05 Conor Hourihane has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses right.
- 42:27 Simon Walton takes a shot. Sam Walker makes a save.
- 41:29 Ben Tozer concedes a free kick for a foul on Darren Purse. Free kick taken by Darren Purse.
- 40:30 Craig Sutherland is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Sam Walker.
- 38:34 Arron Davies is adjudged to have handled the ball. Jake Cole takes the direct free kick.
- 37:53 Effort on goal by Arron Davies from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 33:14 Ashley Hemmings takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, John Johnson manages to make a clearance.
- 32:06 Corner taken left-footed by Ashley Hemmings from the left by-line, Will Atkinson takes a shot. Sam Walker makes a save.
- 30:47 Ashley Hemmings crosses the ball, Will Atkinson takes a shot. Save made by Sam Walker.
- 26:33 Ashley Corker produces a cross, Adebayo Akinfenwa produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 24:13 Nick Chadwick challenges John Johnson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Sam Walker restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:06 Corner from the left by-line taken by Ashley Hemmings, clearance by John Johnson.
- 19:01 Craig Sutherland is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Sam Walker.
- 18:21 Foul by Adebayo Akinfenwa on Darren Purse, free kick awarded. Jake Cole takes the free kick.
- 17:34 Shot from deep inside the area by Adebayo Akinfenwa clears the bar.
- 16:15 The assist for the goal came from Simon Walton.
- 16:15 GOAL - Will Atkinson:Plymouth 3 - 0 Northampton Will Atkinson gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Plymouth 3-0 Northampton.
- 9:00 GOAL - Nick Chadwick:Plymouth 2 - 0 Northampton Nick Chadwick scores a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Plymouth 2-0 Northampton.
- 9:00 Assist by Conor Hourihane.
- 8:36 Ashley Corker takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Durrell Berry makes a clearance.
- 8:12 Michael Jacobs takes a shot. Darren Purse gets a block in.
- 7:35 GOAL - Simon Walton:Plymouth 1 - 0 Northampton Penalty taken right-footed by Simon Walton and scored. Plymouth 1-0 Northampton.
- 6:48 Booking The referee shows John Johnson a yellow card.
- 6:25 The referee gives a against John Johnson for handball.
- 5:41 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Will Atkinson from the left by-line to the near post, save by Sam Walker.
- 5:05 Ashley Hemmings takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Adebayo Akinfenwa.
- 4:29 Effort from inside the penalty area by Nick Chadwick bounces off the post.
- 2:03 Michael Jacobs is adjudged to have handled the ball. Jake Cole takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League Two results
Npower League Two table snapshot
|23||Dag & Red||19||-19||13|