Swindon 3-0 Crewe
Page last updated at 16:13 GMT, Saturday, 6 August 2011 17:13 UK
Paolo di Canio's first competitive game in charge of Swindon Town ended with a comfortable win over Crewe.
Callum Kennedy gave the Robins the lead from the penalty spot after Billy Bodin was fouled by Adam Dugdale in the area.
Crewe almost drew level when Byron Moore's shot deflected just wide of Phil Smith's goalpost.
Oliver Risser doubled the host's advantage with a superb strike from long range before Aden Flint headed in from Raffaele De Vita's free-kick.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM:
Swindon Town manager Paolo di Canio told BBC Wiltshire:
"A good start is crucial for every team. The lads were amazing because they never lost their confidence.
"I told them it would be tough in the first 25 minutes - they are a sharp team with Miller up front.
"In the first half hour we were in trouble because they created two or three chances but in the end we deserved to win."
Crewe manager Dario Gradi told BBC Radio Stoke:
"We could have easily been three up after twenty minutes as we were the side asking all the questions.
"The referee gave a penalty, which I wouldn't have given, but he gave the penalty and it was right before half-time.
"The trick in games is to know how to overcome a disappointment, and they quite clearly didn't."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 6 August 2011
Npower League Two
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 26 Smith
- 03 Kennedy
- 04 Flint
- 05 Devera
- 07 Caddis
- 10 Ritchie yellow card
- 13 Risser yellow card (Ferry 82)
- 22 Timlin
- 24 Smith (McCormack 67)
- 31 Bodin (Connell 75)
- 23 De Vita
- 30 Bedwell,
- 15 Thompson,
- 08 Ferry,
- 12 McCormack,
- 17 Connell
- 01 Phillips
- 02 Tootle
- 03 Davis
- 05 Artell yellow card
- 06 Dugdale yellow card
- 12 Shelley yellow card (Leitch-Smith 65)
- 04 Westwood
- 07 Bell yellow card
- 09 Miller (Clayton 75)
- 11 Moore
- 25 Powell
- 13 Martin,
- 22 Ray,
- 08 Murphy,
- 10 Leitch-Smith,
- 19 Clayton
- Swindon 50%
- Crewe 50%
Attempts on target
- Swindon 2
- Crewe 2
Attempts off target
- Swindon 9
- Crewe 1
- Swindon 3
- Crewe 5
- Swindon 8
- Crewe 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:13 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:37 Effort from the edge of the area by Simon Ferry goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 90:00+2:06 Unfair challenge on Alan Connell by Lee Bell results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Paul Caddis.
- Correction - 90:00+1:33 Michael Timlin challenges Ashley Westwood unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Lee Bell. The ball is crossed by Lee Bell.
- 90:00+1:33 Unfair challenge on Ashley Westwood by Michael Timlin results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Lee Bell. Lee Bell produces a cross,
- 89:54 Corner taken right-footed by Raffaele De Vita, Shot from just outside the box by Alan McCormack misses to the left of the goal.
- 88:02 Booking Booking for Lee Bell.
- 86:25 Michael Timlin is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Nick Powell restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:28 The offside flag is raised against Max Clayton. Joe Devera takes the direct free kick.
- 84:18 Effort from deep inside the area by Alan Connell misses to the left of the goal.
- 82:47 The referee blows for offside. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 81:01 Substitution Simon Ferry joins the action as a substitute, replacing Oliver Risser.
- 79:13 Max Clayton is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 76:24 Assist on the goal came from Raffaele De Vita.
- 76:24 GOAL - Aden Flint:Swindon 3 - 0 Crewe Aden Flint fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top left corner of the goal. Swindon 3-0 Crewe.
- 75:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Harry Davis on Callum Kennedy. Raffaele De Vita restarts play with the free kick,
- 74:04 Substitution (Swindon) makes a substitution, with Alan Connell coming on for Billy Bodin.
- 74:04 Substitution (Crewe) makes a substitution, with Max Clayton coming on for Shaun Miller.
- 74:04 Paul Caddis produces a cross, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Matt Ritchie misses to the left of the goal.
- 71:27 Ashley Westwood takes a shot. Phil Smith makes a save.
- 68:21 Ashley Westwood fouled by Oliver Risser, the ref awards a free kick. Lee Bell crosses the ball in from the free kick, Aden Flint gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Lee Bell from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Aden Flint.
- 67:23 Paul Caddis fouled by Byron Moore, the ref awards a free kick. Phil Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:46 Substitution Jonathan Smith goes off and Alan McCormack comes on.
- 65:47 Foul by Jonathan Smith on Ashley Westwood, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Nick Powell.
- 64:28 Substitution Danny Shelley goes off and Ajay Leitch-Smith comes on.
- 62:01 GOAL - Oliver Risser:Swindon 2 - 0 Crewe Oliver Risser gets on the score sheet with a goal from a long way out to the top left corner of the goal. Swindon 2-0 Crewe.
- 59:37 Outswinging corner taken by Danny Shelley, save made by Phil Smith.
- 58:31 Byron Moore takes a shot. Joe Devera gets a block in.
- 57:03 The official flags Billy Bodin offside. Direct free kick taken by Adam Dugdale.
- 56:40 Ashley Westwood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Matt Ritchie. Free kick taken by Oliver Risser.
- 55:45 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Raffaele De Vita.
- 52:16 Michael Timlin crosses the ball, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Matt Ritchie misses to the right of the target.
- 49:48 Handball by Shaun Miller. Phil Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- Correction - 45:00+10:53 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+2:59 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+1:55 Paul Caddis takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+1:55 Booking Danny Shelley is shown a yellow card.
- 44:53 Booking David Artell goes into the book.
- 44:43 GOAL - Callum Kennedy:Swindon 1 - 0 Crewe Penalty taken left-footed by Callum Kennedy and scored. Swindon 1-0 Crewe.
- 44:43 Unfair challenge on Paul Caddis by Danny Shelley results in a free kick.
- 44:43 Booking Adam Dugdale booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 44:15 Adam Dugdale challenges Billy Bodin unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 40:38 Inswinging corner taken by Raffaele De Vita from the left by-line played to the near post.
- 40:13 Effort on goal by Michael Timlin from outside the box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 36:49 Booking Booking for Oliver Risser for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:44 Unfair challenge on Oliver Risser by Nick Powell results in a free kick.
- 35:45 Matt Ritchie challenges Matt Tootle unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Artell takes the direct free kick. Unfair challenge on Paul Caddis by Danny Shelley results in a free kick. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 34:57 Matt Ritchie produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 26:46 Foul by Michael Timlin on Ashley Westwood, free kick awarded. Adam Dugdale restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:35 Michael Timlin produces a right-footed shot from long distance which goes wide right of the goal.
- 22:33 Steve Phillips takes the direct free kick.
- 22:33 Booking Matt Ritchie receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 21:34 Matt Ritchie challenges Matt Tootle unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 18:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matt Ritchie on Ashley Westwood. Direct free kick taken by Steve Phillips.
- 17:09 The referee blows for offside against Billy Bodin. Steve Phillips takes the free kick.
- 11:24 Close range shot by Billy Bodin hits the post.
- 8:44 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Danny Shelley from the left by-line, clearance made by Callum Kennedy.
- 4:52 Lee Bell fouled by Michael Timlin, the ref awards a free kick. Harry Davis restarts play with the free kick, The ball is swung over by Callum Kennedy. Matt Tootle has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target. Corner taken by Danny Shelley, clearance by Callum Kennedy.
- 3:28 Corner taken right-footed by Danny Shelley from the right by-line, clearance made by Joe Devera.
- 2:11 The ball is crossed by Lee Bell, clearance made by Aden Flint.
- Correction - 0:00 The match gets underway.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League Two results
Npower League Two table snapshot
|5||Dag & Red||1||1||3|