AFC Wimbledon 2-3 Bristol R
Page last updated at 13:49 GMT, Saturday, 6 August 2011 14:49 UK
Adam Virgo's late penalty for Bristol Rovers condemned AFC Wimbledon to defeat on their Football League debut.
Scott McGleish fired Rovers ahead with a low angled drive, before Matt Harrold nodded in from six yards to give new boss Paul Buckle a dream start.
Jamie Stuart pulled one back when he headed in Sam Hatton's free kick.
Substitute Charles Ademeno equalised with a smart turn and shot in the box but Virgo converted from the spot to win it after Brett Johnson handled.
The two sides were separated by two divisions last season, with Rovers subsequently relegated from League One.
AFC Wimbledon completed their meteoric rise through the non-league since being formed in 2002 - when Wimbledon FC were relocated to Milton Keynes - by beating Luton Town on penalties in the Blue Square Bet Premier play-off final.
There was a carnival atmosphere at Kingsmeadow before kick-off, but that was soon deflated by two goals in three minutes from the visitors.
McGleish, one of 10 debutants in the Rovers starting line-up, grabbed the first, drilling the ball low past Seb Brown after Matt Gill had dispossessed Ricky Wellard as he tried to bring the Dons keeper's throw under control.
The veteran striker then seized on the rebound after Brown had saved another shot to turn provider by crossing for Harrold to head in.
Rovers keeper Scott Bevan smothered at Luke Moore's feet to keep his side's two-goal lead intact, but was then left helpless as Stuart powerfully flicked home Hatton's precise delivery to go down in history as the scorer of AFC Wimbledon's first Football League goal.
Harrold was denied a second on the stroke of half-time by a combination of Gareth Gwillim's brave block and crossbar, while after the break Brown had to be alert to keep out Gill's snap-shot.
The Dons came increasingly into the game and grabbed a deserved equaliser when Ademeno pounced on Lee Minshull's knock down to turn and shoot past Bevan from eight yards three minutes after coming on.
But after Brown had pulled off a string of saves to keep his side on terms, there was a sting in the tail as Johnson flung an arm at a hanging cross and Virgo coolly sent the Dons keeper the wrong way from the spot.VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
AFC Wimbledon manager Terry Brown told BBC London 94.9:
"It was a very eventful game and I just have an overiding feeling of disappointment at the way we played today.
"We need to play better than that and we can play better than that and we looked nervous today.
"We never really looked comfortable at the back."
Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle told BBC Radio Bristol:
"It was exciting. I tried to say to the players let's get on the front foot, try and get excited and win games and today we've done that.
"I'm positive our attempts on goal outweighed Wimbledon's and this was a tough place to come to today.
"I thought our supporters were first class and didn't disappoint in any shape or form."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 6 August 2011
Npower League Two
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|AFC Wimbledon||2-3||Bristol R||FT|
- 01 Brown
- 03 Gwillim (Chris Bush 81)
- 05 Stuart yellow card
- 06 Johnson
- 07 Hatton
- 04 Porter (Minshull 62)
- 08 Wellard
- 11 L Moore
- 23 Yussuff
- 10 Midson
- 12 Jolley (Ademeno 65)
- 20 Turner,
- 13 Chris Bush,
- 14 Minshull,
- 15 S Moore,
- 09 Ademeno
- 01 Bevan
- 02 Smith
- 14 Brown
- 15 Anthony
- 19 Virgo yellow card
- 06 Stanley
- 08 Gill
- 16 Anyinsah yellow card (Carayol 70)
- 26 Zebroski yellow card (Lines 52)
- 09 Harrold yellow card
- 10 McGleish (Kuffour 62)
- 05 Bolger,
- 04 Lines,
- 21 Brown,
- 11 Carayol,
- 17 Kuffour
- AFC Wimbledon 56%
- Bristol R 44%
Attempts on target
- AFC Wimbledon 3
- Bristol R 11
Attempts off target
- AFC Wimbledon 4
- Bristol R 4
- AFC Wimbledon 3
- Bristol R 7
- AFC Wimbledon 8
- Bristol R 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:33 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:17 Unfair challenge on Adam Virgo by Chris Bush results in a free kick. Scott Bevan takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+3:11 The ball is delivered by Lee Minshull, Strike by Chris Bush from inside the six-yard box clear the bar.
- 87:49 Mustapha Carayol is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Seb Brown takes the direct free kick.
- 87:38 Jo Kuffour takes a shot. Save by Seb Brown.
- 87:00 Jack Midson fouled by Byron Anthony, the ref awards a free kick. Samuel Hatton takes the direct free kick.
- 84:32 Assist on the goal came from Chris Lines.
- 84:32 GOAL - Adam Virgo:AFC Wimbledon 2 - 3 Bristol Rovers Placed penalty scored by Adam Virgo. AFC Wimbledon 2-3 Bristol Rovers.
- 83:36 Brett Johnson handles the ball and concedes a .
- 83:08 Foul by Brett Johnson on Matt Harrold, free kick awarded. Chris Lines crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing.
- 82:16 Michael Smith delivers the ball, Mustapha Carayol takes a shot. Save made by Seb Brown.
- 81:05 Foul by Matt Harrold on Samuel Hatton, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Seb Brown.
- 80:42 Jamie Stuart challenges Jo Kuffour unfairly and gives away a free kick. Craig Stanley takes the free kick.
- 80:13 Lee Minshull fouled by Chris Lines, the ref awards a free kick. Seb Brown takes the free kick.
- 80:13 Substitution Gareth Gwillim leaves the field to be replaced by Chris Bush.
- 79:17 A cross is delivered by Charles Ademeno, Michael Smith makes a clearance.
- 78:27 Centre by Luke Moore, save by Scott Bevan.
- 77:56 Charles Ademeno delivers the ball, clearance by Adam Virgo.
- 77:37 Jo Kuffour takes a shot. Save by Seb Brown.
- 76:47 The ball is crossed by Lee Brown.
- 73:24 Rashid Yussuff produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 70:47 Unfair challenge on Luke Moore by Chris Lines results in a free kick. Samuel Hatton delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing.
- 69:06 Substitution Mustapha Carayol joins the action as a substitute, replacing Joe Anyinsah.
- 67:44 Assist on the goal came from Lee Minshull.
- 67:44 GOAL - Charles Ademeno:AFC Wimbledon 2 - 2 Bristol Rovers Charles Ademeno fires in a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Bristol Rovers.
- 67:14 Inswinging corner taken by Samuel Hatton, save by Scott Bevan.
- 67:00 The ball is delivered by Charles Ademeno, clearance made by Byron Anthony.
- 64:53 Substitution Christian Jolley goes off and Charles Ademeno comes on.
- 63:46 The ball is delivered by Luke Moore.
- 60:53 Free kick taken by Seb Brown.
- 60:53 Substitution Lee Minshull is brought on as a substitute for Max Porter.
- 60:53 Substitution Scott McGleish leaves the field to be replaced by Jo Kuffour.
- 60:53 Booking Matt Harrold is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 60:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matt Harrold on Brett Johnson.
- 59:15 Lee Brown has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 58:29 Joe Anyinsah takes a shot. Save by Seb Brown.
- 58:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Luke Moore from the right by-line.
- 58:00 A cross is delivered by Jack Midson, Michael Smith manages to make a clearance.
- 56:53 Corner taken right-footed by Lee Brown, clearance made by Jack Midson.
- 56:32 Mathew Gill takes a shot. Save made by Seb Brown.
- 56:20 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Mathew Gill, Brett Johnson makes a clearance.
- 56:03 Lee Brown delivers the ball, clearance by Samuel Hatton.
- 53:36 Christian Jolley concedes a free kick for a foul on Michael Smith. Scott Bevan takes the free kick.
- 51:51 Substitution Chris Zebroski leaves the field to be replaced by Chris Lines.
- 49:58 Mathew Gill gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luke Moore. Luke Moore takes the free kick.
- 49:01 Effort from deep inside the area by Christian Jolley misses to the right of the target.
- 48:10 Centre by Samuel Hatton.
- 47:55 Max Porter sends in a cross.
- 46:30 Byron Anthony challenges Jack Midson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gareth Gwillim takes the free kick.
- 46:04 Craig Stanley produces a cross.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:53 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+3:14 Corner taken right-footed by Mathew Gill.
- 45:00+1:37 Inswinging corner taken by Chris Zebroski from the right by-line, Byron Anthony takes a shot. Save by Seb Brown. Matt Harrold takes a shot.
- 45:00+1:01 Luke Moore concedes a free kick for a foul on Byron Anthony. Free kick taken by Scott Bevan.
- 43:25 Matt Harrold concedes a free kick for a foul on Seb Brown. Direct free kick taken by Seb Brown.
- 38:59 Assist by Samuel Hatton.
- 38:59 GOAL - Jamie Stuart:AFC Wimbledon 1 - 2 Bristol Rovers Jamie Stuart finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the area. AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Bristol Rovers.
- 38:29 The ball is sent over by Samuel Hatton,
- 38:29 Booking Adam Virgo is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 37:59 Foul by Adam Virgo on Christian Jolley, free kick awarded.
- 37:33 Outswinging corner taken by Mathew Gill from the right by-line, Samuel Hatton manages to make a clearance.
- 36:25 Samuel Hatton gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Chris Zebroski. Shot on goal comes in from Adam Virgo from the free kick, Seb Brown makes a save.
- 34:08 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Joe Anyinsah misses to the left of the target.
- 33:48 Lee Brown delivers the ball, Brett Johnson makes a clearance.
- 32:34 Luke Moore takes a shot. Save by Scott Bevan.
- 30:43 The ball is swung over by Rashid Yussuff, save by Scott Bevan.
- 29:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Brett Johnson by Joe Anyinsah. Direct free kick taken by Max Porter.
- 26:41 Jack Midson challenges Adam Virgo unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Adam Virgo.
- 25:36 Outswinging corner taken by Mathew Gill, Seb Brown fouled by Joe Anyinsah, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Seb Brown.
- 24:05 A cross is delivered by Michael Smith, Jamie Stuart manages to make a clearance.
- 22:33 The ball is crossed by Luke Moore, clearance by Adam Virgo.
- 22:15 Chris Zebroski takes a shot. Seb Brown makes a comfortable save.
- Correction - 19:27 Scott McGleish takes a shot. Seb Brown makes a save.
- 19:27 Matt Harrold takes a shot. Save made by Scott Bevan.
- Correction - 19:10 Assist on the goal came from Scott McGleish.
- 19:10 Assist by Scott McGleish.
- 19:10 GOAL - Matt Harrold:AFC Wimbledon 0 - 2 Bristol Rovers Matt Harrold scores a headed goal from close in. AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Bristol Rovers.
- 18:27 The ball is swung over by Michael Smith, save by Seb Brown.
- 16:23 Assist by Mathew Gill.
- 16:23 GOAL - Scott McGleish:AFC Wimbledon 0 - 1 Bristol Rovers Goal scored by Scott McGleish from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. AFC Wimbledon 0-1 Bristol Rovers.
- 15:11 Outswinging corner taken by Mathew Gill from the right by-line, clearance by Brett Johnson.
- 12:27 Booking Joe Anyinsah receives a yellow card.
- 11:58 The ball is swung over by Gareth Gwillim.
- 10:40 The ball is delivered by Lee Brown, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Matt Harrold misses to the left of the goal.
- 10:11 The ball is delivered by Ricky Wellard, Lee Brown makes a clearance.
- 8:55 Brett Johnson takes the free kick.
- 8:55 Booking Chris Zebroski receives a yellow card.
- 8:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Samuel Hatton by Chris Zebroski.
- 7:43 The assistant referee flags for offside against Christian Jolley. Adam Virgo restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:46 Outswinging corner taken by Samuel Hatton from the left by-line, clearance made by Byron Anthony.
- 6:13 Christian Jolley takes a shot. Save by Scott Bevan.
- 4:49 Unfair challenge on Gareth Gwillim by Scott McGleish results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gareth Gwillim.
- 4:00 Free kick crossed right-footed by Mathew Gill.
- 4:00 Booking Jamie Stuart receives a yellow card.
- 3:17 Jamie Stuart gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Matt Harrold.
- 2:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jamie Stuart by Joe Anyinsah. Free kick taken by Jamie Stuart.
- 0:10 Unfair challenge on Jamie Stuart by Matt Harrold results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Seb Brown.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League Two results
Npower League Two table snapshot
|5||Dag & Red||1||1||3|