Wycombe 3-1 Southend
Page last updated at 16:01 GMT, Saturday, 7 May 2011 17:01 UK
Wycombe 3 - 1 Southend
Wycombe came from behind to seal promotion back to League One at the first attempt with a win over Southend.
The Chairboys found themselves a goal down when former Wycombe midfielder Anthony Grant turned neatly and curled a shot into the top left hand corner.
But Scott Donnelly equalised for the home side from inside the box, and Ben Strevens poked home to put Wycombe in front before half-time.
Scott Rendell pounced on a lose ball in the box to cap the victory.
Before kick-off, Wycombe boss Gary Waddock knew his men required a win to guarantee an automatic promotion spot, or they could afford to match fourth-place Shrewsbury's result, who faced Oxford.
But, once the home side went in front, they never looked like surrendering the lead and ran out worthy winners in what was an entertaining game.
Southend had started brightly and Bilel Mohsni's header forced a fine save from Wycombe goalkeeper Nikki Bull inside five minutes.
And they were deservedly in front through Grant's eighth goal of the season.
However, the Chairboys hit back against the run of play only five minutes later after a quick break from Stuart Lewis, who set up Donnelly to equalise.
And the impressive Strevens pounced on an error from Shrimpers goalkeeper Glenn Morris, who failed to punch away Danny Foster's floating cross.
The home side, buoyed by the turnaround, began to dominate and five minutes after half-time Scott Rendell's 19th goal of the season sparked scenes of celebration at Adams Park.
It could have been even better for Wycombe but fine saves from Morris denied first Strevens and then Andy Sandell late on.
And they held the two-goal cushion until the final whistle, which signalled a pitch invasion from the jubilant home fans.POST-MATCH REACTION
Wycombe manager Gary Waddock told BBC Three Counties Radio:
"I'm delighted for everyone at the club. We have secured promotion with a fantastic group of players here. I am delighted for every single one of them.
"It shows what a group of players we have got. We went a goal down here today, they didn't panic, as we didn't last week. We hit form and gathered momentum to see us over the line.
"We'll go into League One looking to enjoy ourselves. We don't want the yo-yo effect, we have to make sure that we consolidate so we can build something here."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 May 2011
Npower League Two
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Bull
- 02 Foster
- 05 Winfield
- 06 Johnson
- 07 Ainsworth (Beavon 72)
- 11 Betsy
- 18 Lewis
- 22 Donnelly
- 03 Sandell
- 09 Rendell (Pittman 90+1)
- 12 Strevens
- 32 Arnold,
- 04 Bennett,
- 19 McCoy,
- 23 Westwood,
- 17 Montrose,
- 16 Pittman,
- 20 Beavon
- 01 Morris
- 02 Clohessy
- 05 Coughlan
- 06 Bilel
- 16 Prosser yellow card
- 23 Barker
- 07 Grant
- 08 Easton
- 12 Hall
- 31 Ferdinand (Asante 82)
- 21 Sturrock (Crawford 46)
- 24 Evans,
- 03 Gilbert,
- 19 Comminges,
- 30 Woodyard,
- 20 Crawford,
- 28 Asante
- Wycombe 57%
- Southend 43%
Attempts on target
- Wycombe 8
- Southend 7
Attempts off target
- Wycombe 2
- Southend 4
- Wycombe 5
- Southend 5
- Wycombe 12
- Southend 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:33 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:56 Craig Easton decides to take a short corner.
- 90:00+1:17 Andy Sandell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Hall. Ryan Hall restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:13 Substitution (Wycombe) makes a substitution, with Jon-Paul Pittman coming on for Scott Rendell.
- 89:33 Foul by Luke Prosser on Stuart Beavon, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Danny Foster.
- 89:33 Booking Booking for Luke Prosser.
- 88:12 Stuart Lewis concedes a free kick for a foul on Harry Crawford. Chris Barker takes the free kick.
- Correction - 87:03 Andy Sandell takes a shot. Save made by Glenn Morris.
- 87:03 Andy Sandell takes a shot. Save by Glenn Morris.
- 85:52 Kyle Asante is caught offside. Nikki Bull takes the indirect free kick.
- 84:29 Corner taken by Scott Donnelly.
- 83:54 Corner taken by Scott Donnelly played to the near post, clearance made by Luke Prosser.
- 83:12 Corner taken left-footed by Ryan Hall from the right by-line to the near post, save made by Nikki Bull.
- 82:58 Centre by Luke Prosser.
- 82:44 Ryan Hall crosses the ball, Danny Foster manages to make a clearance.
- 81:01 Substitution Kyle Asante joins the action as a substitute, replacing Kane Ferdinand.
- 78:05 Leon Johnson concedes a free kick for a foul on Bilel Mohsni. Shot comes in from Ryan Hall from the free kick.
- 77:48 Scott Rendell is ruled offside. Chris Barker takes the indirect free kick.
- 77:21 The official flags Harry Crawford offside. Free kick taken by Nikki Bull.
- 73:50 Stuart Beavon has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 73:34 The ball is crossed by Stuart Lewis, save by Glenn Morris.
- Correction - 71:34 Substitution Stuart Beavon is brought on as a substitute for Gareth Ainsworth.
- 71:34 Substitution Gareth Ainsworth goes off and Stuart Beavon comes on.
- 71:12 Scott Rendell takes a shot. Save made by Glenn Morris.
- 70:30 Danny Foster challenges Harry Crawford unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Chris Barker.
- 69:49 The referee blows for offside. Nikki Bull takes the indirect free kick.
- 68:17 Gareth Ainsworth has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 67:16 Scott Donnelly takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Ryan Hall.
- 67:09 The ball is swung over by Andy Sandell, Luke Prosser makes a clearance.
- 65:37 Gareth Ainsworth takes a shot. Save by Glenn Morris.
- 62:13 Bilel Mohsni takes a shot. Save by Nikki Bull.
- 61:52 A cross is delivered by Gareth Ainsworth, Glenn Morris makes a save.
- 59:19 Chris Barker challenges Ben Strevens unfairly and gives away a free kick. Scott Donnelly takes the free kick.
- 58:39 The referee blows for offside. Nikki Bull takes the indirect free kick.
- 55:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Hall by Gareth Ainsworth. Ryan Hall has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 52:56 GOAL - Scott Rendell:Wycombe 3 - 1 Southend Scott Rendell finds the net with a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Wycombe 3-1 Southend.
- 52:22 Stuart Lewis takes a shot. Clearance made by Sean Clohessy.
- 51:44 Inswinging corner taken by Scott Donnelly from the left by-line, clearance made by Chris Barker.
- 51:34 Gareth Ainsworth delivers the ball, clearance made by Graham Coughlan.
- 50:55 Unfair challenge on Sean Clohessy by Ben Strevens results in a free kick. Glenn Morris takes the direct free kick.
- 49:43 Unfair challenge on Bilel Mohsni by Dave Winfield results in a free kick. Ryan Hall restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:43 The assistant referee signals for offside against Bilel Mohsni. Nikki Bull takes the indirect free kick.
- 45:42 Substitution Harry Crawford comes on in place of Blair Sturrock.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:13 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+2:08 Sean Clohessy delivers the ball, save made by Nikki Bull.
- 45:00+1:12 Shot from outside the box by Luke Prosser misses to the left of the target.
- 44:32 The official flags Ben Strevens offside. Indirect free kick taken by Glenn Morris.
- 44:00 Scott Donnelly takes a shot. Save by Glenn Morris.
- 42:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kane Ferdinand by Scott Donnelly. Strike on goal comes in from Ryan Hall from the free kick.
- 41:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin Betsy on Anthony Grant. Glenn Morris restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:51 Kevin Betsy concedes a free kick for a foul on Anthony Grant. Anthony Grant takes the direct free kick.
- 39:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gareth Ainsworth by Kane Ferdinand. Scott Donnelly takes the direct free kick.
- 37:10 Unfair challenge on Blair Sturrock by Scott Donnelly results in a free kick. Bilel Mohsni restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:48 Unfair challenge on Danny Foster by Ryan Hall results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Gareth Ainsworth.
- 35:14 The ball is swung over by Anthony Grant, clearance by Leon Johnson.
- 33:05 The ball is crossed by Gareth Ainsworth, clearance made by Graham Coughlan.
- 32:33 Ryan Hall takes a shot. Save by Nikki Bull.
- 30:55 The referee blows for offside. Glenn Morris takes the indirect free kick.
- 28:21 Foul by Stuart Lewis on Anthony Grant, free kick awarded. Glenn Morris takes the free kick.
- 27:16 Scott Donnelly takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post.
- Correction - 25:23 Assist by Danny Foster.
- 25:23 Assist by Stuart Lewis.
- 25:23 GOAL - Ben Strevens:Wycombe 2 - 1 Southend Ben Strevens fires in a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Wycombe 2-1 Southend.
- 24:34 The referee blows for offside against Bilel Mohsni. Nikki Bull takes the indirect free kick.
- 23:16 The ball is sent over by Gareth Ainsworth.
- 20:21 Unfair challenge on Kevin Betsy by Chris Barker results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Scott Donnelly.
- 19:22 The assist for the goal came from Stuart Lewis.
- 19:22 GOAL - Scott Donnelly:Wycombe 1 - 1 Southend Scott Donnelly scores a goal from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Wycombe 1-1 Southend.
- 18:22 Shot on goal by Anthony Grant from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 17:41 Corner taken left-footed by Ryan Hall, clearance by Ben Strevens.
- 17:24 Ryan Hall takes a shot. Save by Nikki Bull.
- 16:43 Stuart Lewis fouled by Anthony Grant, the ref awards a free kick. Stuart Lewis takes the direct free kick.
- 14:31 GOAL - Anthony Grant:Wycombe 0 - 1 Southend Anthony Grant finds the net with a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the top left corner of the goal. Wycombe 0-1 Southend.
- 14:00 Ryan Hall takes a shot. Save made by Nikki Bull.
- 13:30 Danny Foster delivers the ball, save made by Glenn Morris.
- Correction - 10:07 Luke Prosser concedes a free kick for a foul on Gareth Ainsworth. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Andy Sandell from right wing, save made by Glenn Morris.
- 10:07 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gareth Ainsworth by Luke Prosser. Direct free kick taken by Andy Sandell.
- 3:45 Corner from the right by-line taken by Ryan Hall, clearance made by Stuart Lewis.
- 3:27 Bilel Mohsni takes a shot. Save made by Nikki Bull.
- 2:56 Corner taken by Ryan Hall from the left by-line to the near post, Dave Winfield makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League Two results
- Barnet1-0Port ValeFT
- Burton Albion1-1AccringtonFT
- Chesterfield3-1GillinghamFT Chesterfield are champions
- Lincoln City0-3AldershotFT Lincoln City are relegated
- Shrewsbury3-0Oxford UtdFT
Npower League Two table snapshot