BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Sunday, 29 May, 2005, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK
Hartlepool 2-4 Sheff Wed (aet)
Jon-Paul McGovern (centre) celebrates his opening goal at the Millennium Stadium
Sheffield Wednesday secured promotion to the Championship as they overcame 10-man Hartlepool after extra-time.

Jon-Paul McGovern's six-yard strike put the Owls ahead before Eifion Williams equalised with a far-post shot.

Jon Daly headed home as Wednesday fell behind but Steve MacLean levelled from the spot after Chris Westwood was red-carded for a foul on Drew Talbot.

The Owls made the extra man count and Glenn Whelan drilled in from 18 yards while Talbot stroked in their fourth.

Wednesday had quickly put their rivals on the back foot at the Millennium Stadium and midfielder Whelan made a forceful run through the Pools defence before side-footing a bouncing ball just high.

James Quinn was influential in the early stages and released Chris Brunt, who only had Dimitrios Konstantopoulos to beat but shot straight at the keeper.

Craig Rocastle then dragged a shot wide and Lee Peacock's near-post shot from McGovern's cross was smothered by Konstantopoulos as the Owls failed to turn their superiority into goals.

Hartlepool's Ritchie Humphreys (right) was up against his former club and he is challenged by Chris Brunt
Humphreys (right) was up against his former club

Hartlepool suffered a setback when Thomas Butler was forced off injured and had to be replaced by Williams.

Joel Porter had their first shot on target when he chipped high before striker Adam Boyd was also given a sight of the Owls goal only to see his snapshot go wide.

But Wednesday finally made their dominance count when McGovern put them ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Rocastle played a one-two with Peacock before pulling a ball back from the byline for McGovern to force home from six yards.

The lead did not last long though, as Hartlepool pulled level shortly after the break, with Williams stealing in at the far post to drive in a long throw.

Pools gained confidence from their equaliser and were a different proposition in the second half and they took the lead after 71 minutes.

Gavin Strachan whipped in an outswinging free-kick which substitute Daly powerfully headed in at the near post moments after coming on.

But Hartlepool's joy quickly turned to anger when Chris Westwood was dismissed for a foul on Talbot and MacLean drilled in the resultant penalty.

Williams then flung himself in front of a Brunt shot late on before the match went into extra-time.

It took just three minutes for Wednesday to regain the lead as Michael Nelson failed to clear a long ball and Whelan stole possession before arrowing in a shot.

In the last seconds of the game Talbot rounded Konstantopoulos to put the result beyond doubt.

Hartlepool: Konstantopoulos, Nelson, Westwood, Robson, Butler (Williams 31), Barron (Craddock 61), Strachan, Porter (Daly 70), Sweeney, Boyd, Humphreys.
Subs Not Used: Provett, Tinkler.

Sent Off: Westwood (81).

Goals: Williams 47, Daly 71.

Sheff Wed: Lucas, Bullen, Heckingbottom, Wood, Alex Bruce (Collins 77), Alex Bruce (Collins 77), Whelan, McGovern, Brunt, Rocastle, Peacock (Talbot 77), Quinn (MacLean 77).
Subs Not Used: Adamson, Adams.

Goals: McGovern 45, MacLean 82 pen, Whelan 94, Talbot 120.

Att: 59,808

Ref: P Crossley (Kent).

Interview: Sheff Wed boss Paul Sturrock

Interview: Hartlepool caretaker boss Martin Scott

Interview: Sheff Wed captain Lee Bullen


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport