Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Eng Div 2  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Sunday, 28 April, 2002, 17:04 GMT 18:04 UK
Huddersfield 0-0 Brentford
Huddersfield hit the woodwork but could not score against Brentford
Facey laments another near miss for Huddersfield
  E-mail your reaction to Football Talk
  Photo Gallery: See this story in pictures

Brentford bounced back from the disappointment of just missing out on automatic promotion to hold Huddersfield to a goalless draw at the McAlpine Stadium.

Steve Coppell's Bees will now fancy their chances of booking a trip to Cardiff in the return leg of their Division Two play-off semi-final on Wednesday.

But Huddersfield will count themselves unlucky not to be taking a lead to Griffin Park after having two goals disallowed and being denied by the woodwork once.

Ijah Anderson almost scored for the Bees with a well-struck free-kick from 25 yards that Huddersfield goalkeeper Martyn Margetson managed to turn around the post.

Stephen Hunt and Lloyd Owusu also went close for the Bees before Town began to assert themselves.

After 20 minutes Kenny Irons' left-wing cross was turned goalwards by Andy Booth and Brentford goalkeeper Paul Smith was relieved to see the ball bounce back off the crossbar.

Smith then did well to keep out Chris Holland's 20-yard shot before Booth found the back of the net just after the half hour mark.


But the referee ruled out Booth's effort for handball.

Ben Burgess shot narrowly over for Brentford just before the break, while Booth went close with a diving header.

Owusu had the first chance of the second half, but headed over from close range.

Booth's flick-on then set Delroy Facey free down the left, but his well-struck shot was tipped round the post by Smith.

Seconds later Booth hit the back of the net, but again he was denied, this time by the referee's assistant's flag, to the fury of the home fans.

Martin Rowlands created an opening for the visitors when he cut in from the left, but he shot wide from a good position.

And the visitors almost snatched a late winner when Steven Sidwell burst into the area, but he was denied by a fine save by Margetson.

Huddersfield: Margetson, Moses, Ifil, Gray, Gareth Evans, Thorrington, Irons, Heary (Hay 79), Holland, Facey, Booth. Subs Not Used: Paul Evans, Beech, Mattis, Delaney.

Booked: Thorrington.

Brentford: Paul Smith, Dobson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Anderson, Rowlands, Sidwell, Paul Evans, Hunt, Owusu, Burgess. Subs Not Used: Gottskalksson, Boxall, Williams, O'Connor, Theobald.

Booked: Sidwell.

Attendance: 16,523

Referee: G Laws (Whitley Bay).

BBC Sport's Alan Biggs
"Both sides emerged with some satisfaction"
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Eng Div 2 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 2 stories

^^ Back to top