Tranmere 0-2 Swindon
Page last updated at 17:42 GMT, Saturday, 7 May 2011 18:42 UK
Tranmere 0 - 2 Swindon
Swindon ended a disappointing season with a comfortable victory at Tranmere.
The away side took the lead with their first chance of the game when Jean-Francois Lecsinel netted from close range following a Michael Rose corner.
Tranmere should have equalised soon after, but Dale Jennings missed an open goal after goalkeeper Phil Smith saved from Lucas Akins.
And Michael Timlin doubled the bottom side's lead before the break with a fine 25-yard strike after a clearance.
However, The Robins still finish bottom of the League One table, while the defeat means Tranmere end their campaign in 18th place.POST-MATCH REACTION
Tranmere manager Les Parry tells BBC Radio Merseyside:
"The bottom line is that we weren't at the races.
"I think we take the positives from the last couple of months and I had a word with the lads about the game, but I said they've been magnificent for us this season.
"I don't want to give them an excuse about it being the last game of the season, but it's happened now and we've got to take the positives and kick forward next season."
Swindon caretaker-manager Paul Bodin told BBC Wiltshire:
"They were fresh, they were sharp and I thought we thoroughly deserved the win.
"I wanted to freshen it up, try and get as many kids on as we possibly could.
"It's been a tough season for everybody but I was in charge for two games and I've got a 50% win record so that can't be too bad."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 May 2011
Npower League One
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Warner
- 03 Cresswell
- 05 Goodison yellow card
- 12 Taylor
- 17 Kay
- 08 Welsh
- 09 Robinson (McChrystal 70)
- 10 Weir (Bakayogo 83)
- 21 Jennings
- 26 McGurk
- 27 Akins (Labadie 62)
- 23 Coughlin,
- 06 McChrystal,
- 18 Blanchard,
- 24 Bakayogo,
- 11 Mahon,
- 14 Fraughan,
- 25 Labadie
- 12 Smith
- 02 Cuthbert
- 03 Rose
- 06 Caddis
- 19 Lescinel (Flint 85)
- 23 Thompson (Clark 88)
- 08 Ferry
- 11 Timlin
- 22 Ritchie
- 31 Bodin yellow card
- 24 Benyon yellow card (Storey 81)
- 28 Scott,
- 16 Flint,
- 07 McGovern,
- 10 Prutton,
- 35 Clark,
- 32 Storey,
- 33 Pavett
- Tranmere 53%
- Swindon 47%
Attempts on target
- Tranmere 3
- Swindon 4
Attempts off target
- Tranmere 11
- Swindon 6
- Tranmere 5
- Swindon 4
- Tranmere 11
- Swindon 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:51 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:51 Foul by Matt Ritchie on Adam McGurk, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Aaron Cresswell.
- 90:00+0:34 Billy Bodin has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 88:40 Corner taken left-footed by Michael Rose from the left by-line, Zoumana Bakayogo makes a clearance.
- 87:40 Substitution Matt Clark on for Nathan Thompson.
- 87:14 Michael Kay sends in a cross, save made by Phil Smith.
- 85:32 Unfair challenge on Billy Bodin by Joss Labadie results in a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Paul Caddis, save by Tony Warner.
- 84:19 Substitution Lecsinel Jean-Francois goes off and Aden Flint comes on.
- 83:58 Long range shot by Matt Ritchie goes over the target.
- 82:53 Substitution (Tranmere) makes a substitution, with Zoumana Bakayogo coming on for Robbie Weir.
- 82:37 Matt Ritchie has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.
- 82:12 Robbie Weir decides to take a short corner.
- 81:39 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Adam McGurk by Nathan Thompson. Free kick crossed by Dale Jennings, Scott Cuthbert manages to make a clearance.
- 80:51 Substitution Elliot Benyon leaves the field to be replaced by Miles Storey.
- 78:39 Booking Ian Goodison is cautioned.
- 78:06 Phil Smith fouled by Ian Goodison, the ref awards a free kick. Phil Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:08 The referee blows for offside. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 75:14 Joss Labadie produces a right-footed shot from long range that goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 72:12 Dale Jennings takes a shot. Phil Smith gets a block in.
- 71:12 Adam McGurk takes a long range shot harmlessly clearing the crossbar.
- 70:07 John Welsh concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Caddis. Scott Cuthbert restarts play with the free kick.
- 69:27 Substitution Andy Robinson leaves the field to be replaced by Mark McChrystal.
- 69:09 Andy Robinson crosses the ball, save by Phil Smith.
- 68:45 Short corner worked by Aaron Cresswell.
- 63:24 The ball is delivered by Aaron Cresswell.
- 61:24 Substitution Joss Labadie on for Lucas Akins.
- 60:04 Adam McGurk handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Phil Smith.
- 58:55 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Michael Rose from the right by-line, save by Tony Warner.
- 57:49 Booking Elliot Benyon goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on John Welsh by Elliot Benyon. Free kick taken by Tony Warner.
- 50:47 Andy Robinson challenges Lecsinel Jean-Francois unfairly and gives away a free kick. Phil Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:18 Booking Booking for Billy Bodin.
- 50:01 Handball by Billy Bodin. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 49:33 The official flags Adam McGurk offside. Direct free kick taken by Phil Smith.
- 48:49 Effort on goal by Robbie Weir from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 46:48 Foul by Nathan Thompson on Andy Robinson, free kick awarded. Strike on goal comes in from Aaron Cresswell from the free kick, Header by Ash Taylor from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:10 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:36 Matt Ritchie fouled by Dale Jennings, the ref awards a free kick. Phil Smith takes the free kick.
- 45:00+1:08 Elliot Benyon concedes a free kick for a foul on Andy Robinson. Ian Goodison takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+0:15 Outswinging corner taken by Aaron Cresswell from the left by-line, Adam McGurk has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 44:58 Lucas Akins takes a shot. Blocked by Phil Smith.
- 43:12 Matt Ritchie handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Aaron Cresswell restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:57 Lucas Akins concedes a free kick for a foul on Michael Rose. Free kick taken by Phil Smith.
- 38:44 Unfair challenge on Ian Goodison by Elliot Benyon results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Tony Warner. The referee blows for offside. Phil Smith takes the direct free kick.
- 37:16 Assist by Paul Caddis.
- 37:16 GOAL - Michael Timlin:Tranmere 0 - 2 Swindon Michael Timlin fires in a goal from outside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Tranmere 0-2 Swindon.
- 36:13 Michael Timlin challenges Robbie Weir unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Aaron Cresswell, Michael Rose makes a clearance.
- 35:04 Effort from the edge of the box by Billy Bodin goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 34:48 Centre by Aaron Cresswell, save made by Phil Smith.
- 33:34 The ball is swung over by Robbie Weir.
- 32:45 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Aaron Cresswell, clearance made by Michael Timlin.
- 32:37 Lucas Akins sends in a cross, Scott Cuthbert manages to make a clearance.
- 32:16 Michael Timlin challenges Dale Jennings unfairly and gives away a free kick. John Welsh takes the direct free kick.
- 30:54 Michael Timlin has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 29:06 Billy Bodin is ruled offside. Tony Warner takes the direct free kick.
- 23:55 Adam McGurk takes a shot from deep inside the box clearing the bar.
- 21:56 The ball is delivered by Matt Ritchie, clearance by Ash Taylor.
- 21:05 Adam McGurk fouled by Scott Cuthbert, the ref awards a free kick. Aaron Cresswell crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance by Michael Timlin.
- 19:48 Corner taken short by Michael Rose.
- 19:31 Effort on goal by Billy Bodin from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 19:15 Nathan Thompson takes a shot. Tony Warner gets a block in.
- 18:55 John Welsh gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Billy Bodin. Billy Bodin takes the direct free kick.
- 17:44 Matt Ritchie fouled by Michael Kay, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Phil Smith.
- 14:55 Ian Goodison concedes a free kick for a foul on Elliot Benyon. Direct free kick taken by Michael Timlin.
- 14:24 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Adam McGurk goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 12:35 Lucas Akins takes a shot. Phil Smith makes a save. Dale Jennings has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 12:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Caddis on Dale Jennings. Aaron Cresswell restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:01 Andy Robinson challenges Paul Caddis unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Michael Timlin.
- 9:32 GOAL - Lecsinel Jean-Francois:Tranmere 0 - 1 Swindon Goal scored by Lecsinel Jean-Francois from close range low into the middle of the goal. Tranmere 0-1 Swindon.
- 9:02 Michael Rose takes the inswinging corner,
- 5:54 Unfair challenge on Lucas Akins by Matt Ritchie results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Michael Kay. The official flags Adam McGurk offside. Free kick taken by Phil Smith.
- 4:27 Effort on goal by Robbie Weir from a long way out goes over the bar.
- 2:18 Lucas Akins challenges Matt Ritchie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Rose takes the direct free kick.
- 0:09 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Aaron Cresswell played to the near post, Shot from close in by Ash Taylor misses to the left of the goal.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League One results
- Colchester2-1Bristol RFT Bristol Rovers are relegated
- Notts County1-1BrightonFT
- Oldham1-2MK DonsFT
- Peterborough5-0Dag & RedFT Dag & Red are relegated
- Plymouth1-4Leyton OrientFT
- Sheff Wed1-2ExeterFT
- Southampton3-1WalsallFT Southampton are promoted
Npower League One table snapshot
|21||Dag & Red||46||-18||47|