Brentford 0-3 Southampton
Page last updated at 16:05 GMT, Saturday, 30 April 2011 17:05 UK
Brentford 0 - 3 Southampton
Southampton took a huge step towards promotion from League One with a dominant display against Brentford.
Saints remain level on points with Huddersfield, who beat Brighton, but have a vastly superior goal difference and a game in hand on the Terriers.
Adam Lallana's low 15-yard shot and David Connolly's close-range strike put the visitors 2-0 up at the break.
Brentford's Sam Saunders had a penalty saved by keeper Kelvin Davis before Oscar Gobern's tap-in sealed the win.
The Bees rarely threatened but missed a glorious opportunity to make things nervy for the visitors with 10 minutes left when keeper Davis pulled off a wonderful save to deny Saunders after Frazer Richardson felled Myles Weston.
But in truth, Southampton's 11th away win of the season rarely looked in doubt from the moment Lallana grabbed his 11th goal of the campaign after 16 minutes.
Connolly doubled the advantage after half an hour with a cool finish following a long clearance from Davis and the Saints continued to hold the upper hand after the interval.
Lallana went close after a sweeping move soon after and Rickie Lambert's fierce free-kick forced keeper Simon Moore to pull off a smart save.
And substitute Gobern grabbed his first Saints goal to wrap up the victory, meaning one win from their last two games should be enough for them to seal a return to the Championship even if Huddersfield win their final fixture.POST-MATCH REACTION
Southampton boss Nigel Adkins told BBC Radio Solent:
"We started the game very well and scored two good goals and saw the game out in the second half.
"Two more games to go we've just got to keep working very hard
"We've said all along we're going to try and win our remaining games and whatever the Huddersfield score is we have to go down to Plymouth and try and win a game of football."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 30 April 2011
Npower League One
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 31 Moore
- 04 Bean
- 22 Osborne
- 27 Neilson
- 02 O'Connor
- 07 Saunders (Byrne 87)
- 16 Wood
- 20 Diagouraga
- 26 Adam Reed (Weston 63)
- 19 Grabban
- 30 Shclupp (Hacker 75)
- 21 Royce,
- 12 Spillane,
- 11 Weston,
- 33 Byrne,
- 35 Hacker,
- 34 Reeves
- 01 Davis
- 02 Richardson
- 03 Harding (Dickson 72)
- 06 Fonte yellow card
- 15 Jaidi
- 11 Guly (Gobern 31)
- 14 Hammond
- 20 Lallana
- 30 Chaplow
- 07 Lambert
- 22 Connolly (Butterfield 85)
- 24 Bialkowski,
- 05 Dickson,
- 12 Butterfield,
- 19 Seaborne,
- 27 Gobern,
- 33 Stephens,
- 08 Forte
- Brentford 52%
- Southampton 48%
Attempts on target
- Brentford 2
- Southampton 8
Attempts off target
- Brentford 5
- Southampton 4
- Brentford 2
- Southampton 2
- Brentford 6
- Southampton 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:23 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+2:47 The assistant referee signals for offside against Lewis Grabban. Kelvin Davis takes the free kick.
- 90:00+1:28 Myles Weston has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 90:00+0:15 The assist for the goal came from Adam Lallana.
- 90:00+0:15 GOAL - Oscar Gobern:Brentford 0 - 3 Southampton Oscar Gobern fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Brentford 0-3 Southampton.
- 89:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Butterfield by Sam Wood. Frazer Richardson takes the free kick.
- 85:09 Substitution Nathan Byrne replaces Sam Saunders.
- 85:09 Oscar Gobern takes a shot. Kevin O'Connor gets a block in. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Adam Lallana.
- 84:02 Substitution Danny Butterfield is brought on as a substitute for David Connolly.
- 81:47 Power penalty taken by Sam Saunders saved by Kelvin Davis. Brentford 0-2 Southampton.
- 81:03 Booking Jose Fonte is booked.
- 80:36 Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Myles Weston by Frazer Richardson.
- 79:45 The referee blows for offside against Lewis Grabban. Kelvin Davis takes the indirect free kick.
- 75:37 Richard Lambert has a headed effort from close range and clears the bar.
- 74:58 Substitution Luke Hacker on for Jeffery Schlupp.
- 71:25 Substitution Dan Harding goes off and Ryan Dickson comes on.
- 71:06 Effort on goal by Marcus Bean from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 65:42 Unfair challenge on Sam Saunders by Richard Chaplow results in a free kick. Robbie Neilson restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:54 Lewis Grabban has an effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the target.
- 61:55 Substitution Myles Weston replaces Adam Reed.
- 58:30 Jeffery Schlupp is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Kelvin Davis.
- 57:27 The referee gives a free kick against Adam Lallana for handball. Free kick taken by Simon Moore.
- 56:23 Foul by Frazer Richardson on Sam Saunders, free kick awarded. Sam Saunders takes the direct free kick.
- 54:56 Foul by Jose Fonte on Lewis Grabban, free kick awarded. Sam Saunders takes the direct free kick.
- 53:33 David Connolly fouled by Marcus Bean, the ref awards a free kick. Strike comes in from Richard Lambert from the free kick, save by Simon Moore.
- Correction - 51:23 David Connolly takes a shot. Save made by Simon Moore. Jeffery Schlupp takes a shot. Kelvin Davis makes a save. Corner taken right-footed by Toumani Diagouraga, clearance by Oscar Gobern.
- 51:23 David Connolly takes a shot. Save by Simon Moore. Jeffery Schlupp takes a shot. Kelvin Davis makes a save. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Toumani Diagouraga from the right by-line, clearance by Oscar Gobern.
- 50:21 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adam Lallana on Karleigh Osborne. Simon Moore restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 46:20 Unfair challenge on Sam Wood by Oscar Gobern results in a free kick. Sam Wood restarts play with the free kick. Corner from the left by-line taken by Richard Lambert, save by Simon Moore.
- 46:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Oscar Gobern on Sam Wood. Direct free kick taken by Sam Wood. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Sam Saunders, save by Kelvin Davis.
- 45:16 Sam Saunders takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:15 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+2:20 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jeffery Schlupp. Kelvin Davis takes the indirect free kick.
- 43:48 Robbie Neilson fouled by Dean Hammond, the ref awards a free kick. Sam Saunders takes the free kick.
- 42:34 Richard Chaplow concedes a free kick for a foul on Robbie Neilson. Robbie Neilson takes the free kick.
- 41:07 Lewis Grabban takes a shot. Save made by Kelvin Davis.
- 38:56 The referee penalises Oscar Gobern for handball. Robbie Neilson takes the free kick.
- 38:15 Dean Hammond challenges Toumani Diagouraga unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Toumani Diagouraga.
- 36:54 Handball by Marcus Bean. Kelvin Davis takes the direct free kick.
- 35:08 Jose Fonte gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lewis Grabban. Free kick taken by Robbie Neilson.
- 33:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin O'Connor on David Connolly. Richard Lambert takes the free kick.
- 32:00 The referee penalises Kevin O'Connor for handball. Free kick crossed by Adam Lallana, save by Simon Moore.
- 30:49 Substitution Oscar Gobern replaces Guly Do Prado.
- 29:06 Kelvin Davis provided the assist for the goal.
- 29:06 GOAL - David Connolly:Brentford 0 - 2 Southampton Goal scored by David Connolly from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Brentford 0-2 Southampton.
- 28:35 Lewis Grabban gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jose Fonte. Kelvin Davis takes the free kick.
- 27:14 Radhi Jaidi concedes a free kick for a foul on Jeffery Schlupp. Robbie Neilson restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:20 Close range effort by Jeffery Schlupp misses to the left of the target.
- 25:55 The assistant referee signals for offside against Radhi Jaidi. Simon Moore takes the indirect free kick.
- 25:11 David Connolly fouled by Toumani Diagouraga, the ref awards a free kick. Dan Harding takes the free kick.
- 15:55 Assist by David Connolly.
- 15:55 GOAL - Adam Lallana:Brentford 0 - 1 Southampton Adam Lallana grabs a goal from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Brentford 0-1 Southampton.
- 11:42 Adam Reed challenges Adam Lallana unfairly and gives away a free kick. Adam Lallana crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 10:27 Dan Harding challenges Adam Reed unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Sam Saunders.
- 8:03 Richard Lambert takes a shot. Karleigh Osborne gets a block in.
- 7:34 David Connolly takes a shot. Save made by Simon Moore.
- 6:26 Richard Lambert has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 4:42 Close range header by Guly Do Prado goes over the bar.
- 2:55 Foul by Dan Harding on Lewis Grabban, free kick awarded. Sam Saunders delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing.
- 0:21 Shot from deep inside the area by David Connolly clears the crossbar.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League One results
Npower League One table snapshot
|21||Dag & Red||45||-13||47|