Brighton 1-2 Southampton
Page last updated at 17:36 GMT, Saturday, 23 April 2011 18:36 UK
Brighton 1 - 2 Southampton
Southampton scored two late goals to beat champions Brighton and boost their chances of automatic promotion.
Ashley Barnes took advantage of a poor backpass by Radhi Jaidi and slotted the Seagulls in front.
Rickie Lambert went close to an equaliser when he saw his header hit the post and bounce clear.
David Connolly levelled the score six minutes from time with a close-range finish, before Jose Fonte nodded in at the back post to win it for the Saints.
The result ended Brighton's unbeaten record at home this season.POST-MATCH REACTION
Southampton boss Nigel Adkins told BBC Radio Solent:
"It was a great afternoon for our supporters and we gave them some thing to cheer about.
"They put their best team out so that was interesting, but we came here and had business to do and the players have shown great character having gone 1-0 behind.
"I just thought there was something coming and the shape we set up nullified them greatly."
Brighton manager Gus Poyet told BBC Sussex:
"Southampton have good individuals and they were individually stronger and better than us.
"When you look back in 10 years time at who won the championship this year it was Brighton playing football and passing the ball - not kicking it into the box.
"Losing the unbeaten record is not a problem for us when we have achieved the things we have achieved."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 23 April 2011
Npower League One
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 16 Ankergren
- 04 Elphick
- 06 El-Abd yellow card
- 14 Calderon
- 22 Painter
- 07 Bennett
- 10 Sparrow (Sandaza 85)
- 18 Dicker
- 26 Bridcutt
- 09 Barnes (Noone 69)
- 17 Murray (Wood 50)
- 01 Brezovan,
- 37 Dunk,
- 08 Navarro,
- 25 Kishishev,
- 31 Noone,
- 21 Sandaza,
- 39 Wood
- 01 Davis
- 05 Dickson (Seaborne 90+2)
- 06 Fonte yellow card
- 12 Butterfield
- 15 Jaidi
- 14 Hammond
- 27 Gobern (Connolly 76)
- 30 Chaplow yellow card
- 07 Lambert
- 08 Forte (Lallana 46)
- 11 Guly
- 24 Bialkowski,
- 02 Richardson,
- 19 Seaborne,
- 20 Lallana,
- 33 Stephens,
- 22 Connolly,
- 32 N'Guessan
- Brighton 54%
- Southampton 46%
Attempts on target
- Brighton 3
- Southampton 6
Attempts off target
- Brighton 2
- Southampton 6
- Brighton 0
- Southampton 3
- Brighton 8
- Southampton 11
- 90:00+4:34 The assistant referee flags for offside against Craig Noone. Indirect free kick taken by Kelvin Davis.
- 90:00+2:26 Francisco Sandaza fouled by Radhi Jaidi, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Elliott Bennett.
- 90:00+1:35 Substitution Daniel Seaborne comes on in place of Ryan Dickson.
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 89:25 The match has reached full-time.
- 88:55 Booking Jose Fonte goes into the referee's book.
- 88:40 Dean Hammond provided the assist for the goal.
- 88:40 GOAL - Jose Fonte:Brighton 1 - 2 Southampton Jose Fonte finds the net with a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Brighton 1-2 Southampton.
- 87:53 Ryan Dickson fouled by Francisco Sandaza, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Kelvin Davis.
- 87:32 Booking Adam El-Abd is booked.
- 87:29 Unfair challenge on Ryan Dickson by Adam El-Abd results in a free kick. Kelvin Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:48 Elliott Bennett fouled by Dean Hammond, the ref awards a free kick. Liam Bridcutt restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jose Fonte on Craig Noone. Liam Bridcutt takes the direct free kick.
- 84:34 Substitution Francisco Sandaza on for Matthew Sparrow.
- 83:39 GOAL - David Connolly:Brighton 1 - 1 Southampton David Connolly finds the net with a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Brighton 1-1 Southampton.
- 83:06 Guly Do Prado fouled by Gary Dicker, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Dean Hammond.
- 81:43 Richard Lambert produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 78:58 Booking The referee shows Richard Chaplow a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 78:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Richard Chaplow on Casper Ankergren. Casper Ankergren takes the free kick.
- 75:23 Substitution Oscar Gobern leaves the field to be replaced by David Connolly.
- 73:05 Oscar Gobern produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 71:56 Chris Wood has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 70:40 Craig Noone challenges Jose Fonte unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kelvin Davis.
- 68:49 Substitution (Brighton) makes a substitution, with Craig Noone coming on for Ashley Barnes.
- 67:09 Tommy Elphick fouled by Richard Lambert, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Casper Ankergren.
- 65:48 Adam Lallana takes a shot. Blocked by Liam Bridcutt.
- 62:15 Inigo Calderon fouled by Ryan Dickson, the ref awards a free kick. Elliott Bennett takes the direct free kick.
- 61:52 Header from inside the area by Richard Lambert strikes the post.
- 56:58 Ashley Barnes takes a shot. Kelvin Davis makes a save.
- 54:57 Ryan Dickson takes a inswinging corner.
- 54:40 Guly Do Prado takes a shot. Save by Casper Ankergren.
- 49:37 Substitution Chris Wood comes on in place of Glenn Murray.
- 49:37 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Adam Lallana from the right by-line.
- 45:05 Substitution Adam Lallana replaces Jonathan Forte.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:17 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:22 GOAL - Ashley Barnes:Brighton 1 - 0 Southampton Ashley Barnes grabs a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Brighton 1-0 Southampton.
- 42:44 Richard Lambert gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marcos Painter. Free kick taken by Casper Ankergren.
- 40:27 Ryan Dickson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 39:07 Elliott Bennett has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 35:41 Unfair challenge on Adam El-Abd by Guly Do Prado results in a free kick. Adam El-Abd restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:36 The referee blows for offside. Kelvin Davis takes the free kick.
- 31:40 A cross is delivered by Marcos Painter.
- 29:32 Foul by Danny Butterfield on Elliott Bennett, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Liam Bridcutt.
- 24:55 Inswinging corner taken by Guly Do Prado from the right by-line played to the near post, Ashley Barnes manages to make a clearance.
- 21:28 Foul by Adam El-Abd on Richard Chaplow, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Oscar Gobern.
- 20:51 Matthew Sparrow takes a shot. Save by Kelvin Davis.
- 20:10 Unfair challenge on Glenn Murray by Radhi Jaidi results in a free kick. Elliott Bennett takes the direct free kick.
- 14:38 Guly Do Prado concedes a free kick for a foul on Liam Bridcutt. Direct free kick taken by Liam Bridcutt.
- 12:41 Foul by Matthew Sparrow on Jonathan Forte, free kick awarded. Strike on goal comes in from Richard Lambert from the free kick, save by Casper Ankergren.
- 11:00 Richard Lambert is adjudged to have handled the ball. Casper Ankergren restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:15 Glenn Murray gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Oscar Gobern. Direct free kick taken by Radhi Jaidi.
- 8:32 Header by Oscar Gobern from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 6:53 Effort from inside the area by Richard Lambert misses to the left of the target.
- 3:27 Guly Do Prado takes a shot. Marcos Painter gets a block in.
- 1:47 Marcos Painter challenges Richard Lambert unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kelvin Davis.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower League One results
Npower League One table snapshot
|20||Dag & Red||43||-15||44|