Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 28 October, 2000, 16:28 GMT 17:28 UK
Sheff Wed 3-3 Fulham
Gerald Sibon
Gerald Sibon was on target
Ashley Westwood scored a dramatic injury-time equaliser to salvage a stunning point for ten-man Sheffield Wednesday in a thriller at Hillsborough.

Five goals and the sending-off of inspirational teenage star Alan Quinn is the simple summary of an action-packed second half as the Owls' recent revival continues on its remarkable road.

For manager Paul Jewell's side, confidence is now the key as they twice fell behind after the break, but they showed a never-say-die spirit which has long been missing over the past two seasons.

Just a week ago you wouldn't have given Wednesday a prayer of taking a point as the Cottagers headed to Wolves as Division One leaders on the back of their stunning eleven-game winning run.

In stark contrast, Wednesday were in the depths of despair, with no end in sight to a club record eight-game losing streak which guaranteed their position at the foot of the table.

But the saying, a week is a long time in football, could not have been greater illustrated because heading into this game the fortunes of the two sides had dramatically changed.

John Collins
John Collins iwas involved in Wednesday equaliser
Fulham had been knocked off their lofty perch as they first slipped up at Molineux and then at home to Preston, while the Owls were off the bottom on the back of two successive wins.

For the opening 20 minutes Fulham looked like a team destined for greater things as their slick flowing football, played to a backdrop of incessant rain and on a greasy surface, pegged the Owls back.

But in keeping Fulham at bay, Wednesday's new-found confidence soared and after Maik Taylor had denied Efan Ekoku and Terry Cooke, the home side took the lead four minutes before the break.

Gerald Sibon, recently under fire and dropped by Jewell, teed up a 40-yard free-kick, but instead delivered a raking pass out to the left to Owen Morrison, whose cross after a jinking run to the edge of the area was powerfully headed home by the rangy 6ft 4ins striker.

But inside the opening 10 minutes of the second half Fulham were in front courtesy of their freescoring strike duo of Louis Saha and Barry Hayles.

Saha scored his 13th goal in 12 matches with a bullet header after 60 seconds, with Hayles finding the net for the 10th time in 14 games with a contender for Division One goal of the season as he waltzed past four defenders before sublimely beating Kevin Pressman from close range.

Worse was to follow for Wednesday when Quinn was then harshly dismissed by referee Graham Laws in the 64th minute for two bookable offences - both in the space of three minutes.

But undaunted, Wednesday fought back with Morrison scoring his fifth goal in nine games as he slid home Westwood's knockback into the heart of the area following a Cooke cross.

Six minutes from time it looked as if Wednesday hearts would be broken when Wales international Andy Melville got a faint back heel touch to substitute Luis Boa Morte's cross for his first goal of the season, with the ball agonisingly trickling over the line.

But Taylor, who had only conceded one away goal in the league this season in their previous five matches on their travels, was beaten for the third time in the first minute of injury-time.

John Collins was unable to clear a Steve Harkness free-kick, with the ball falling to central defender Westwood, who looped a header back over the stranded Taylor to send Wednesday fans wild with delight, sparking a standing ovation at the final whistle.

Sheff Wed: Pressman, Haslam, Harkness, Walker, Quinn, Sibon, Hendon, Westwood, Ekoku, Cooke, Morrison.
Subs: Stringer, Lescott, Hamshaw, Humphreys, Crane.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Coleman, Clark, J. Collins, Hayles, Saha, Davis, Fernandes.
Subs: Hahnemann, Symons, Trollope, Goldbaek, Boa Morte.

Referee: G Laws (Whitley Bay)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top