Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Five Live's Jonathan Overend
"Late drama as referee Rob Stiles disallowed a last minute equaliser"
 real 14k

QPR boss Gerry Francis
"We were the better side"
 real 14k

Sheff Wed boss Paul Jewell
"I still think we can do a lot better"
 real 14k

Wednesday, 25 October, 2000, 21:38 GMT 22:38 UK
QPR 1-2 Sheff Wed
Alan Quinn celebrates his goal
Quinn wheels away in delight after netting the winner.
Sheffield Wednesday made it two wins on the trot as they came from behind to beat fellow strugglers Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

Whatever Wednesday boss Paul Jewell said to his team after their abysmal first-half display worked wonders as they were a completely different side after the break.

Trailing to Gavin Peacock's first-half penalty, it took them just two minutes of the second half to get on level terms with a beautifully worked free-kick.

Gerald Sibon shaped to shoot but instead slipped a pass to Owen Morrison and when his cross was headed against the post by Efan Ekoku, Terry Cooke was on hand to nod in his first goal for the club from close range.

The winner on 77 minutes was worthy of winning any game.

Morrison sprinted at the Rangers defence before laying the ball off to Alan Quinn and the midfielder hit a shot from 30 yards which flew past Lee Harper into the corner of the net.


It had all been so different in the first half as Rangers created all the chances.

Wednesday keeper Kevin Pressman had needed five minutes of treatment after a collision with Peter Crouch as early as the second minute but he had fully recovered by the time Rangers created their first real chance on 17 minutes.

Christer Warren swung in a free kick from the left and Crouch rose highest to head goalwards only for Pressman to make a stunning one-handed save, tipping the ball over the bar.

A minute later they went close again when Warren picked out Chris Kiwomya only for the striker to head well over, but on 38 minutes Rangers got their reward.

Jermaine Darlington's cross looked destined for Crouch's head only for Ian Hendon to pull him back and the referee to point to the spot - Peacock made no mistake for his first goal of the season.


Rangers should have restored their lead within a minute after Cooke had levelled proceedings, but Kiwomya failed to take advantage of a defensive mix-up and put his header wide with just the keeper to beat.

It was Wednesday, though, who were now calling the shots and after Morrison forced a desperate headed clearance by Matthew Rose from under his own crossbar Quinn put the visitors in front with his long-range effort.

Rangers stormed forward and Peacock's effort on 78 minutes looked destined for the corner until Pressman made a brilliant full stretch save.

The last few minutes turned into a nightmare for Rangers as chance after chance came and went before Kiwomya thought he had levelled in injury time before the referee ruled out his effort allowing Wednesday to hold on for the points.

Queens Park Rangers: Harper, Carlisle, Broomes, Rose, Warren, Darlington, Langley, Peacock, Connolly, Crouch, Kiwomya.
Subs: Miklosko, Morrow, Koejoe, Perry, Wardley.

Sheffield Wednesday: Pressman, Haslam, Harkness, Walker, Quinn, Sibon, Hendon, Westwood, Ekoku, Cooke, Morrison.
Subs: Stringer, Humphreys, Crane, Hamshaw, Lescott.

Referee: R Styles (Waterlooville).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top