Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Five Live's Peter Slater
"Wolves have halted the Fulham juggernaut"
 real 14k

Saturday, 21 October, 2000, 16:31 GMT 17:31 UK
Wolves 0-0 Fulham
Barry Hayles was denied a penalty claim and booked for diving
Fulham's winning run at the top of the First Division was ended by their bogey side Wolves.

Jean Tigana's table-toppers had reeled off 11 league wins from the start of the season and 12 in all since being beaten 3-0 at Molineux in April.

But they were given a tough run for their money by a Wolves team wound up following Tuesday's dismal defeat at neighbours West Brom.

Fulham did go closest to breaking the deadlock when right-back Steve Finnan chipped against the underside of the bar from more than 20 yards.

Back foot

But, for considerable spells, they were on the back foot as Wolves produced a spirited response to heavy midweek criticism and threatened a breakthrough on more than one occasion.

Unfortunately for the home side, most of their shooting opportunities came from long range with midfielder Tony Dinning setting the tone with an early 25-yard free-kick that was saved by keeper Maik Taylor.

After Wolves keeper Michael Oakes had dived on a loose ball when Ludovic Pollet had diverted a dangerous centre by Rufus Brevett, the recalled Temuri Ketsbaia was off target with the first of several wayward long-range efforts.

Wolves breathed a sigh of relief when Kevin Muscat clashed in the penalty area with Barry Hayles - but the referee waved away the penalty appeals and later showed the striker a yellow card for what he considered to be repeated diving.


Saha saw a shot well blocked by Pollet, as he did in the second half but the first half ended with Muscat's 25-yard shot being well held by the diving Taylor.

The Australian full-back saw an effort cannon wide off his rival skipper Chris Coleman at the height of Wolves' second-half onslaught and Dinning fired tamely at Taylor from 20 yards shortly afterwards.

But Fulham came on strong in the closing minutes and, after the subdued Bjarne Goldbaek had seen a free-kick palmed away by Oakes, Finnan shook the woodwork with his 72nd-minute shot of great precision.

The game ended in a flurry of Wolves substitutions and bookings with Ketsbaia, Dinning and Simon Osborn all having their names taken in addition to the earlier yellow cards handed to Fulham duo Hayles and substitute Luis Boa Morte. .

Wolves: Oakes, Muscat, Naylor, Pollet, Emblen, Bazeley, Osborn, Ketsbaia, Sinton, Lescott, Dinning.
Subs: Robinson, Stowell, Camara, Peacock, Proudlock.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Coleman, Clark, J. Collins, Hayles, Goldbaek, Saha, Fernandes.
Subs: Hahnemann, Symons, Trollope, Davis, Boa Morte.

Referee: D Laws (Whitley Bay)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top