Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk


BBC Five Live's Steve May
reports from Craven Cottage
 real 14k

Chris Coleman, Fulham captain
"We're one of the strongest sides in the league"
 real 14k

Tuesday, 12 September, 2000, 21:54 GMT 22:54 UK
Fulham 3-1 Burnley
Fulham's Bjarne Goldbaek celebrates with Sean Davis
Fulham's Bjarne Goldbaek celebrates with Sean Davis
Fulham made it six wins out of six as they came from behind to beat Burnley.

Two second-half goals from Louis Saha and another from Bjarne Goldbaek gave them victory after Paul Cook had given the visitors a 10th-minute lead.

Cook's goal, a free-kick that took a deflection, gave goalkeeper Maik Taylor no chance.

Goldbaek got the equaliser, also from a free-kick. In the 52nd minute he hit a curling shot into the roof of the net from fully 25 yards.

Saha's first, in the 63rd minute, was a beauty. Receiving the ball from the impressive Fabrice Fernandes, he outpaced two defenders and fired the ball in from an acute angle.


His second in the 80th minute was a close-range header from a Fernandes free-kick to make it five goals in two games following his first-half hat-trick against Barnsley at the weekend.

This was a win that Fulham had to work for. Burnley's game plan was to deny them time and space and get in with uncompromising tackles. This worked in the first half but became less effective as they tired in the second.

They also gave away a number of free-kicks and Lee Briscoe was sent off for two bookings - both bad tackles - in the 79th minute.

Burnley's goal came from their only shot in the first half but they were more adventurous after they fell behind and Taylor did well to dive and stop a shot from the hard working Andy Cooke in the 69th minute. In the end it was a comfortable victory for the Londoners but Burnley certainly gave them more problems than Barnsley.

They could have won by more as Lee Clark in particular was unlucky with his attempts on goal. In Saha they have found an impressive centre-forward and his fellow Frenchman Fernandes, only in the side because of injury to John Collins, showed similar quality.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Coleman, Clark, Hayles, Goldbaek, Saha, Davis, Fernandes.

Subs: Hahnemann, W. Collins, Lewis, Boa Morte, Knight.

Burnley: Crichton, Little, Thomas, Cox, Armstrong, Cook, Cooke, Briscoe, Weller, Ball, Mullin.

Subs: Branch, Payton, Jepson, Maylett, Mellon.

Referee: T Parkes (Birmingham)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top