BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:44 GMT, Wednesday, 14 May 2008 21:44 UK

Hull 4-1 Watford (agg 6-1)

By Phil McNulty

Nick Barmby
Nick Barmby celebrates his crucial goal at the KC Stadium

Hull will face Bristol City at Wembley for a place in the Premier League after comprehensively beating Watford in the Championship play-off semi-final.

Darius Henderson scored from close range after 12 minutes to give Watford hope of retrieving a two-goal deficit.

But Nick Barmby drew Hull level with a scrambled 43rd-minute header.

Caleb Folan headed Hull in front after 70 minutes, Richard Garcia added a solo third and Nathan Doyle's deflected shot made it four in injury time.


It means Hull have the chance of playing in the top flight for the first time in their history when they face Bristol City on 24 May.

Watford needed a fast start and an early goal as they chased a two-goal deficit from the first leg - and they got both as Henderson put them in front after 12 minutes.

Nathan Ellington was instumental, playing a neat exchange with Henderson for the powerful striker to slot home from 12 yards.

Hull looked nervous and Jobi McAnuff's deflected shot had keeper Boaz Myhill scrambling across his goal.

But Phil Brown's side showed resilience and they grabbed a crucial equaliser on the night three minutes before the interval.

Michael Turner's lofted header inexplicably drew Watford keeper Richard Lee out of position, allowing Garcia to head towards goal and the veteran Barmby raced in to make sure.

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd waited for the early stages of the second half to unfold before making a bold change, sending on striker Tamas Priskin for defender Adrian Mariappa after 57 minutes.

And he was almost rewarded within seconds, but Myhill saved well from Priskin's rising shot at his near post.

Hull responded with a substitution of their own, sending on Folan for the tiring veteran Dean Windass - and he did make an impact with the goal the stamped his side's ticket to Wembley.

Sam Ricketts raced down the right wing and provided a perfect cross for Folan to head powerfully past Lee.

Watford were understandably demoralised, but Henderson almost got his second of the night after 81 minutes, only for Bryan Hughes to clear his header off the line.

But any slim chance of a Watford victory was snuffed out when Garcia cut through Watford's defence to make it 3-1 on the night two minutes from time.

And Hull's joy was complete as Doyle's shot deflected past Lee with virtually the last kick of the game.

Hull: Myhill, Ricketts, Turner, Brown, Dawson, Garcia, Ashbee, Hughes, Barmby (Fagan 72), Windass (Folan 63), Campbell (Doyle 78).
Subs Not Used: Duke, Walton.

Booked: Barmby, Turner.

Goals: Barmby 43, Folan 70, Garcia 88, Doyle 90.

Watford: Lee, Mariappa (Priskin 57), DeMerit, Bromby, Sadler, Smith, Eustace, Williamson, McAnuff, Henderson, Ellington (Ainsworth 79).
Subs Not Used: Poom, Doyley, O'Toole.

Goals: Henderson 12.

Att: 23,155

Ref: Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear).

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Hull's Nick Barmby 8.00 (on 90 minutes).

Please note that you can still give the players marks out of 10 on BBC Sport's Player Rater after the match has finished.

see also
Barmby hails impact of Hull boss
14 May 08 |  Championship
Watford 0-2 Hull
11 May 08 |  Championship
Hull v Watford as it happened
14 May 08 |  Championship

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites