Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated:  Tuesday, 25 February, 2003, 21:47 GMT
Wolves 0-0 Watford

Wolverhampton Wanderers were left ruing the chance to increase the gap on one of their play-off rivals by being held to a goalless draw by Watford.

Wolves dominated the game at Molineux but failed to convert their superiority into three points.

Veteran keeper Alec Chamberlain kept Watford in a game they could have lost by the interval with three wonderful first-half saves.

Chamberlain was almost beaten inside the opening 60 seconds by a Colin Cameron effort which was heading for the corner of the net until the keeper diverted the ball past the post with a full-length save.

The chance was a warning to the Watford defence but they were fortunate to escape again in the 13th minute.


Wolves broke quickly and Cameron, with time and space on the edge of the box, brought another fantastic parry out of Chamberlain with a rising shot.

The hosts were given a scare shortly after, however, when midfielder Allan Nielsen was left unmarked inside the box to force an alert block from Matt Murray in the Wolves goal.

But it was a rare chance for the Hornets, who then watched Chamberlain produce a third good stop to deny George Ndah before Alex Rae lifted an ambitious 25-yard strike into the crowd.

The relentless pressure saw Paul Ince, who later went off injured, head a dangerous Denis Irwin cross wide of the post.

Striker Adam Proudlock arrival for the home side raised their game.

Almost immediately, Paul Butler lifted a close range header over the bar and Kenny Miller also missed the target with a 62nd-minute volley.

A low parry from Murray kept out Paulo Vernazza at the other end.

But the home crowd knew victory was eluding their side when a fabulous shot from Mark Kennedy curled the wrong side of the post.

Wolverhampton: Murray, Irwin, Butler, Lescott, Naylor, Rae, Ince, Cameron, Kennedy, Miller, Ndah. Subs: Oakes, Sturridge, Proudlock, Edworthy, Andrews.

Watford: Chamberlain, Ardley, Cox, Gayle, Glass, Mahon, Vernazza, Hyde, Nielsen, Noel-Williams, Helguson. Subs: Brown, Doyley, Hand, Norville, Lee.

Referee: A Kaye (W Yorkshire).



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport