Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 6 April, 2002, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK
Norwich 1-1 Grimsby

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Debutant Terry Cooke secured a priceless point for Grimsby and dealt a big blow to Norwich's play-off aspirations with a late equaliser.

The winger, signed on a short-term contract from First Division champions Manchester City on transfer deadline day, converted substitute Steve Livingstone's cross with just six minutes left at Carrow Road.

It denied Norwich a fourth win in five games which would have lifted them back into the play-off zone, with Birmingham not playing until Sunday.

Captain Malky Mackay's fourth-minute goal put Norwich ahead but the home side will rue a host of first-half chances which went begging.

Steen Nedergaard shot straight at goalkeeper Danny Coyne early on but then the Dane provided the corner from which Mackay headed home only his second goal of the season.

Soon after Phil Mulryne had a goalbound shot blocked by the Mariners' player-manager Paul Groves and then Paul McVeigh drilled a shot from the edge of the area just over the crossbar.


The Canaries, beaten at home just twice all season, went close again in the 18th minute through Mulryne, whose 20-yard volley was saved by Coyne.

Grimsby had to wait until the 20th minute to register their first shot on goal - but Robert Green was equal to the effort from on-loan Wimbledon striker Paul Robinson.

David Nielsen twice came close to extending Norwich's lead before Grimsby's Danny Butterfield, twice, and Willie Falconer drew good saves from goalkeeper Green.

At the start of the second period Stacy Coldicott shot wide for Grimsby and then Falconer headed Cooke's cross against the crossbar.

Norwich manager Nigel Worthington brought on top scorer Iwan Roberts - who had missed seven games with a hamstring injury - in an attempt to grab the all-important second goal.

But Grimsby had an experienced striker of their own on the bench in the shape of Steve Livingstone and the 32-year-old - making his first appearance of the season after a calf injury - nearly marked his comeback with a goal.

Then six minutes from time he played a part in Cooke's goal, which did so much for the Mariners' chances of staying up.

Roberts had a chance to snatch it for Norwich in injury time but he put his header wide.

Norwich: Green, Kenton, Mackay, Fleming, Drury, Nedergaard, Holt, Mulryne, Easton, McVeigh, Nielsen. Subs: Crichton, Sutch, Notman, Iwan Roberts, Rivers.

Grimsby: Coyne, McDermott, Todd, Groves, Gallimore, Butterfield, Pouton, Coldicott, Cooke, Falconer, Robinson. Subs: Croudson, Ford, Burnett, Jevons, Livingstone.

Referee: W Jordan (Tring).

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top