Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
World Cup 2002
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Worthington Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
CIS Ins Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Sports Talk
In Depth
Photo Galleries
TV & Radio
BBC Pundits
Question of Sport
Funny Old Game

Around The Uk

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 30 March, 2002, 17:27 GMT
Preston 2-0 Portsmouth
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Portsmouth's dominated the opening half but second-half goals from Clyde Wijnhard and Graham Alexander ensured Preston's play-off hopes remained intact.

Pompey's Svetoslav Todorov - who once almost signed for Preston - was sent-off for violent conduct as the second-half exploded into life.

The visitors had started the quicker of the two teams with Kevin Harper going close three times in the opening quarter of an hour.

The first of his three chances - which came after only two minutes - was a one-on-one with goalkeeper Tepi Moilanen, which he really should have scored.

Six minutes later Harper headed wide when he should have done better from point-blank range, and soon after had Moilanen scrambling across his goal after a 20-yard effort.

Scott Wilson met Jamie Vincent's free-kick powerfully but Moilanen was equal to his headed effort.

Spectacular volley

As half-time approached Portsmouth were almost punished for failing to convert their chances when Iain Anderson went close with a spectacular effort from the edge of the area and Dickson Etuhu fired over.

Pompey debutant Eddie Howe was withdrawn injured after 51 minutes and Preston opened the scoring shortly afterwards.

Lee Cartwright's cross picked out Wijnhard six yards out and the former Leeds striker made no mistake with a spectacular right foot volley.

Minutes later Todorov was sent-off after striking out at Sean Gregan.

Preston increased their advantage from the penalty spot in the 70th minute after Wilson was adjudged to have brought down Wijnhard - Graham Alexander coolly despatching the resulting spot-kick.

Preston almost score a third but Wijnhard's shot came back off the woodwork.

Preston: Moilanen, Alexander, Lucketti, Gregan, Edwards, Cartwright, Anderson, Etuhu, McKenna, Wijnhard, Cresswell. Subs: O'Hanlon, Ainsworth, Eaton, Healy, Rankine.

Portsmouth: Beasant, Wilson, Howe, Buxton, O'Neil, Summerbell, Brady, Vincent, Quashie, Todorov, Harper. Subs: Tardif, Barrett, Vine, Cooper, Pitt.

Referee: M Cooper (Walsall).

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top