Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Sunday, 20 January, 2002, 20:42 GMT
Watford 1-2 Man City
City's Eyal Berkovic vaults a challenge
City's Eyal Berkovic vaults a challenge

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Kevin Keegan's promotion bandwagon was given a slice of good fortune as Watford gifted Manchester City all three points on Sunday.

City had mustered only one second-half goal attempt when, after 79 minutes, Heidar Helguson attempted to pass back to goalkeeper Alec Chamberlain but instead found the corner of his own net.

Keegan's men could, however, have wrapped the points up in the first 20 minutes, the only stage in the game when they showed their pedigree.

We were a little bit lucky - but then again we did create a number of chances in the first half
Kevin Keegan
Man City manager

Chamberlain did well to stop shots from Danny Tiatto and Kevin Horlock in greasy conditions and Watford managed to scramble clear on both occasions.

But the best chance for City spell fell to Shaun Goater, who from Stuart Pearce's corner managed to miss the target from three yards out.

Keegan had cause to regret that miss when, with their first shot of the game, Watford took the lead after 26 minutes.

Micah Hyde sent the ball through for Helguson, who squared it for Tommy Smith to drill the chance into the net from just outside the area.

City replied within three minutes when Goater headed down a Tiatto cross and Paulo Wanchope swept the ball home.

We were very unlucky - in the second half we really took the game to them, and City lost their shape
Gianluca Vialli
Watford manager

Both sides went close before the interval, but Watford built up a head of steam in the second half.

Carlo Nash made fine saves to deny fierce shots by Stephen Glass and Paul Okon.

But his best save came when he deflected a shot from Jermaine Pennant after Allan Nielsen had sent the striker clear.

Watford: Chamberlain, Cox, Galli, Vega, Doyley, Okon, Hyde, Nielsen, Glass, Pennant, Smith. Subs: Baardsen, Noel-Williams, Helguson, Noble, Hand.

Man City: Nash, Dunne, Wright-Phillips, Wiekens, Pearce, Tiatto, Berkovic, Horlock, Benarbia, Goater, Wanchope. Subs: Weaver, Huckerby, Ritchie, Killen, Jensen.

Referee: D Gallagher (Oxfordshire)

BBC Sport's Dave Woods
"Six wins in seven for City"
Man City boss Kevin Keegan
"We had a bit of luck with the own goal"
Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top