Burnley 1 - 0 Hull
Page last updated at 17:59 GMT, Saturday, 31 December 2011
Martin Paterson pounced on indecision in the Hull defence to score the only goal of the game and secure Burnley's sixth win in seven Championship games.
Jack Hobbs and goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi left a clearance to each other as the striker showed no such hesistation.
Hobbs could have scored at the other end before the opener while Robert Koren came closest to an equaliser for the Tigers after the break.
Victory moves Burnley up to seventh, three points behind sixth-placed Hull.
The Clarets had the ball in the net before Paterson's opener as top-scorer Jay Rodriguez stabbed home only for David Edgar's flick-on to be judged to have come from an offside position.
But the visitors enjoyed the best of the opening stages with Hobbs drilling wide from 12 yards and Aaron McLean fizzing a shot across the face of Lee Grant's goal before their side fell behind.
Koren was the chief culprit in Hull's profligacy, missing the best of the chances to pull level.
The Solvenian playmaker slashed wide when picked out by Andy Dawson in the second half before blazing over from McLean's cross.
Rodriguez could have made the points safe but spurned a clear opening and the home fans nerves were frayed as David Edgar's header almost sneaked past team-mate Grant in his own goal.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 31 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Grant
- 02 Trippier
- 15 Edgar
- 24 Easton
- 36 Mee
- 06 McCann
- 07 Wallace
- 08 Marney
- 26 Treacy (Bartley 64)
- 09 Rodriguez
- 10 Paterson yellow card (Vokes 90)
- 30 Stewart,
- 21 Amougou,
- 20 Bartley,
- 19 Vokes,
- 23 Austin
- 24 Gulacsi (Basso 42)
- 03 Dawson
- 05 Chester
- 06 Hobbs
- 15 McShane yellow card
- 04 McKenna
- 07 Stewart (Brady 66)
- 08 Evans
- 09 Mclean (Garcia 83)
- 10 Koren
- 12 Fryatt
- 01 Basso,
- 19 Dudgeon,
- 14 Cairney,
- 17 Brady,
- 29 Garcia
- Burnley 49%
- Hull 51%
Attempts on target
- Burnley 4
- Hull 1
Attempts off target
- Burnley 4
- Hull 13
- Burnley 5
- Hull 3
- Burnley 8
- Hull 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:10 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ben Mee on Richard Garcia. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Robbie Brady, Lee Grant makes a save.
- 90:00+1:23 Effort from the edge of the area by Jay Rodriguez goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 90:00+0:35 Robert Koren takes the outswinging corner, Brian Easton makes a clearance.
- 89:10 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Robert Koren, Headed effort from deep inside the area by James Chester misses to the right of the goal.
- 89:10 Substitution Sam Vokes on for Martin Paterson.
- 87:11 The offside flag is raised against Martin Paterson. James Chester takes the indirect free kick.
- 85:58 Richard Garcia produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 85:23 Free kick taken by Jack Hobbs.
- 85:23 Booking Martin Paterson goes into the referee's book.
- 85:17 Foul by Martin Paterson on Robert Koren, free kick awarded.
- 84:30 Inswinging corner taken by Ross Wallace from the right by-line, Paul McShane makes a clearance.
- 82:16 Substitution Richard Garcia on for Aaron Mclean.
- 81:14 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Paul McShane makes a save.
- 71:14 Martin Paterson takes a shot. Save by Paul McShane.
- 68:44 Martin Paterson concedes a free kick for a foul on James Chester. Direct free kick taken by Adriano Basso.
- 67:37 Shot by Robert Koren from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 65:10 Substitution Robbie Brady is brought on as a substitute for Cameron Stewart.
- 64:50 Ross Wallace produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 64:11 Foul by James Chester on Marvin Bartley, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Kieran Trippier.
- 63:04 Substitution Marvin Bartley is brought on as a substitute for Keith Treacy.
- 62:50 Robert Koren has an effort at goal from long range that goes wide left.
- 59:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Aaron Mclean on Chris McCann. Direct free kick taken by Kieran Trippier.
- 58:12 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Kieran Trippier from the left by-line, save by Paul McShane.
- 57:58 Robert Koren is ruled offside. David Edgar takes the indirect free kick.
- 57:37 The referee blows for offside. Corry Evans takes the free kick.
- 57:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Edgar by Robert Koren. Free kick taken by Kieran Trippier.
- 54:44 Shot by Robert Koren from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 53:09 Kieran Trippier has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 53:09 Booking Paul McShane goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 52:41 Unfair challenge on Jay Rodriguez by Paul McShane results in a free kick.
- 51:36 The official flags Martin Paterson offside. Free kick taken by James Chester.
- 48:58 Martin Paterson is ruled offside. Adriano Basso takes the indirect free kick.
- 47:48 The referee blows for offside against Cameron Stewart. Indirect free kick taken by Chris McCann.
- 46:25 Robert Koren has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 45:46 The official flags Keith Treacy offside. Adriano Basso takes the indirect free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:13 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+1:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Corry Evans on Keith Treacy. Kieran Trippier takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:22 Close range shot by Andy Dawson misses to the left of the goal.
- 44:28 Martin Paterson fouled by Paul McShane, the ref awards a free kick. Brian Easton restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:25 Substitution Peter Gulacsi leaves the field to be replaced by Adriano Basso.
- 41:07 Shot from a long way out by Jay Rodriguez goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 39:29 Martin Paterson is caught offside. James Chester restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:48 Foul by Andy Dawson on Martin Paterson, free kick awarded. Martin Paterson takes the direct free kick.
- 37:16 Corner taken right-footed by Kieran Trippier from the left by-line, save made by Peter Gulacsi.
- 33:46 Lee Grant provided the assist for the goal.
- 33:46 GOAL - Martin Paterson:Burnley 1 - 0 Hull Goal scored by Martin Paterson from deep inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Burnley 1-0 Hull.
- 33:05 Header from close in by Aaron Mclean misses to the right of the goal.
- 32:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Chester by Martin Paterson. James Chester takes the direct free kick.
- 31:16 Effort from deep inside the area by Jack Hobbs misses to the right of the target.
- 30:18 The offside flag is raised against Jay Rodriguez. Peter Gulacsi takes the free kick.
- 28:26 Foul by Chris McCann on Jack Hobbs, free kick awarded. Jack Hobbs takes the free kick.
- 27:10 Chris McCann challenges Cameron Stewart unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is delivered by Robert Koren, Jack Hobbs has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 26:05 Shot by Aaron Mclean went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 24:15 Jay Rodriguez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andy Dawson. Corry Evans takes the free kick.
- 14:45 Shot from long distance by Cameron Stewart goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 13:06 Unfair challenge on Brian Easton by Aaron Mclean results in a free kick. Lee Grant takes the free kick.
- 11:43 Chris McCann concedes a free kick for a foul on Cameron Stewart. Robert Koren takes the direct free kick.
- 7:16 Inswinging corner taken by Robert Koren, save by Lee Grant.
- 6:45 Robert Koren produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 5:26 Corner from the right by-line taken by Kieran Trippier, clearance by Paul McShane.
- 3:27 Corner taken left-footed by Ross Wallace.
- 2:46 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot from a long way out which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 2:23 Matt Fryatt takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot