Barnsley 1 - 3 Blackpool
Page last updated at 19:03 GMT, Monday, 26 December 2011
Blackpool winger Matt Phillips scored a fine hat-trick to condemn Barnsley to a third consecutive Championship defeat.
Barnsley went ahead as Matty Done steered in from six yards following Jim O'Brien's cross.
Phillips replied with a thumping drive then struck an even better effort, cutting in from the left and finishing from 30 yards, to make it 2-1.
He added his third from the penalty spot late on after Scott Wiseman fouled Stephen Crainey.
They were Phillips's first goals for Blackpool since he returned from a productive loan spell at Sheffield United in early November.
The result lifted Blackpool up to seventh, a point adrift of Reading, who occupy the final play-off spot.
Blackpool had an early chance as midfielder Ludovic Sylvestre shot over from 25 yards, but Barnsley fired a warning when Ricardo Vaz Te dragged an angled drive wide.
Done snatched the lead for the hosts to spark a period of Blackpool dominance. They deservedly equalised when Phillips finished well from outside the area.
There were chances at both ends before Blackpool made the crucial breakthrough after Phillips collected Sylvestre's pass and produced his solo run and strike.
Barnsley fought on as Jay McEveley and Jacob Butterfield shot on target, but their hopes were ruined when Wiseman fouled Crainey and Phillips tucked in the spot-kick.
Live text and stats
Monday, 26 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Steele
- 03 McEveley
- 04 Edwards
- 14 Wiseman
- 15 McNulty
- 08 O'Brien (Gray 62)
- 10 Done
- 11 Perkins
- 19 Butterfield yellow card
- 09 Davies
- 18 Vaz Te (Haynes 75)
- 12 Preece,
- 02 Hassell,
- 06 Foster,
- 07 Haynes,
- 27 Gray
- 29 Howard
- 03 Crainey yellow card
- 06 Evatt
- 15 Baptiste
- 20 Cathcart
- 14 Sylvestre
- 16 Ferguson
- 23 M Phillips
- 12 Taylor-Fletcher (Basham 86)
- 38 LuaLua (Grandin 63)
- 39 McManaman (Ince 71)
- 05 Eardley,
- 17 Basham,
- 08 Grandin,
- 09 K Phillips,
- 36 Ince
- Barnsley 41%
- Blackpool 59%
Attempts on target
- Barnsley 7
- Blackpool 8
Attempts off target
- Barnsley 7
- Blackpool 6
- Barnsley 6
- Blackpool 4
- Barnsley 5
- Blackpool 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:23 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+3:52 Jacob Butterfield takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 90:00+3:18 Matt Phillips produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 90:00+2:21 Unfair challenge on Danny Haynes by Ian Evatt results in a free kick. Scott Wiseman restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:16 Jacob Butterfield takes a shot. Save by Mark Howard.
- 88:11 Ludovic Sylvestre takes the free kick.
- 88:11 Booking Jacob Butterfield receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 88:05 Unfair challenge on Thomas Ince by Jacob Butterfield results in a free kick.
- 86:21 Matty Done is ruled offside. Mark Howard takes the free kick.
- 85:06 Substitution (Blackpool) makes a substitution, with Chris Basham coming on for Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
- 81:57 Matty Done is caught offside. Mark Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:36 Assist on the goal came from Stephen Crainey.
- 81:16 GOAL - Matt Phillips:Barnsley 1 - 3 Blackpool Penalty taken right-footed by Matt Phillips and scored. Barnsley 1-3 Blackpool.
- 80:13 Scott Wiseman concedes a Penalty for a foul on Stephen Crainey.
- 79:25 Jacob Butterfield has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 76:23 Jay McEveley takes a shot. Save by Mark Howard.
- 75:18 Clearance by Alex Baptiste.
- 75:18 Substitution Danny Haynes comes on in place of Ricardo Vaz Te.
- 75:18 Corner taken by Jacob Butterfield from the left by-line,
- 75:16 Jacob Butterfield takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Stephen Crainey.
- Correction - 74:53 Alex Baptiste manages to make a clearance.
- Correction - 74:53 Substitution Danny Haynes on for Ricardo Vaz Te.
- Correction - 74:53 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jacob Butterfield from the left by-line,
- 72:10 Unfair challenge on Barry Ferguson by Andy Gray results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Craig Cathcart.
- 70:44 Substitution Callum McManaman leaves the field to be replaced by Thomas Ince.
- 68:13 Callum McManaman takes a shot. Save made by Luke Steele.
- 66:40 Assist on the goal came from Ludovic Sylvestre.
- 66:40 GOAL - Matt Phillips:Barnsley 1 - 2 Blackpool Matt Phillips gets on the score sheet with a goal from long range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-2 Blackpool.
- 66:26 Short corner taken by Ludovic Sylvestre from the left by-line,
- 65:40 The referee blows for offside. Direct free kick taken by Craig Cathcart.
- 63:35 Ludovic Sylvestre takes a shot. Save by Luke Steele.
- 62:02 Substitution Elliot Grandin is brought on as a substitute for Lomana Tresor LuaLua.
- 61:40 Substitution Andy Gray is brought on as a substitute for Jim O'Brien.
- 59:20 The assistant referee flags for offside against Ricardo Vaz Te. Alex Baptiste restarts play with the free kick.
- 57:32 Shot from deep inside the area by Stephen Crainey clears the bar.
- 55:53 Callum McManaman is caught offside. Free kick taken by Jay McEveley.
- 53:56 Shot from just outside the area by Jim O'Brien misses to the right of the target.
- 53:25 Ricardo Vaz Te takes a shot. Save by Mark Howard. Short corner taken by Jacob Butterfield.
- 51:56 Craig Davies takes a shot. Save by Mark Howard. Inswinging corner taken by Jacob Butterfield from the left by-line, Headed effort on goal by Jimmy McNulty from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the goal.
- 50:40 Matty Done is caught offside. Mark Howard takes the indirect free kick.
- 49:59 Effort on goal by Matt Phillips from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 48:51 Lomana Tresor LuaLua takes a shot. Comfortable save by Luke Steele.
- 46:50 Effort on goal by Alex Baptiste from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 45:55 The ball is sent over by Stephen Crainey, Jimmy McNulty manages to make a clearance. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Ludovic Sylvestre played to the near post, Ricardo Vaz Te manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:47 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+0:21 Lomana Tresor LuaLua concedes a free kick for a foul on Jay McEveley. Indirect free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 42:32 Jacob Butterfield is penalised for a handball. Mark Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:34 Gary Taylor-Fletcher takes a shot. Rob Edwards gets a block in. Short corner worked by Ludovic Sylvestre.
- 38:36 Matty Done takes a shot. Mark Howard makes a save.
- 36:26 GOAL - Matt Phillips:Barnsley 1 - 1 Blackpool Matt Phillips fires in a goal from long range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-1 Blackpool.
- 33:30 Corner taken by Ludovic Sylvestre from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Ricardo Vaz Te.
- 30:44 Matt Phillips takes a shot. Save made by Luke Steele.
- 29:58 Foul by Ludovic Sylvestre on Jacob Butterfield, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Jacob Butterfield.
- 29:17 Alex Baptiste delivers the ball, Effort on goal by Matt Phillips from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 26:56 Ricardo Vaz Te is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Ludovic Sylvestre restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:20 Craig Davies has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 25:22 Corner taken by Jacob Butterfield from the left by-line, clearance made by Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
- 24:58 Jacob Butterfield takes a shot. Save by Mark Howard.
- 24:31 Centre by Ricardo Vaz Te, Craig Cathcart makes a clearance.
- 22:36 Jay McEveley restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:36 Booking Stephen Crainey goes into the referee's book.
- 22:21 Barry Ferguson challenges Jacob Butterfield unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 21:42 Lomana Tresor LuaLua takes a shot. Blocked by Rob Edwards.
- 19:41 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jim O'Brien on Lomana Tresor LuaLua. Barry Ferguson restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:50 Luke Steele fouled by Ludovic Sylvestre, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 17:05 Assist on the goal came from Jim O'Brien.
- 17:05 GOAL - Matty Done:Barnsley 1 - 0 Blackpool Goal scored by Matty Done from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-0 Blackpool.
- 16:27 Craig Cathcart gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Craig Davies. David Perkins restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:32 Ricardo Vaz Te has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 14:11 Ricardo Vaz Te concedes a free kick for a foul on Alex Baptiste. Free kick taken by Alex Baptiste.
- 11:18 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jacob Butterfield, save by Mark Howard.
- 10:27 The offside flag is raised against Craig Davies. Direct free kick taken by Barry Ferguson.
- 9:24 Effort from just outside the area by Ludovic Sylvestre goes over the bar.
- 4:17 Ricardo Vaz Te takes a shot. Craig Cathcart gets a block in.
- 0:54 The ball is crossed by Callum McManaman, save made by Luke Steele.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot