Leeds 2 - 0 Millwall
Page last updated at 16:35 GMT, Saturday, 3 December 2011
Robert Snodgrass scored both Leeds goals against Millwall as Elland Road paid a moving tribute to former player Gary Speed, who died last Sunday.
Speed played in United's title-winning side in 1992 and team-mates Gary McAllister, Gordon Strachan and David Batty laid a wreath before kick-off.
Snodgrass curled in a 25-yard free-kick and headed in a Lloyd Sam cross as United ran out comfortable winners.
Darius Henderson came closest for the Lions, but his header was well saved.
A video montage of Speed's goals preceded the game and Leeds fans chanted his name for 11 minutes, from the 11th minute, in recognition of his shirt number as they had done during their midweek 4-0 win at Nottingham Forest.
Former Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra
Gary Speed was an absolute first-class person and an absolute privilege to work with. He was someone dedicated to making the best of what he had. I tried to sign him when I came to Leeds United, but Bolton nicked him.
On the pitch though, Leeds' inconsistent start to the season looked set to continue as they struggled to break down the visitors in the opening half.
Their best chance was fashioned by Snodgrass, whose clipped cross-shot looped over visiting goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall but was easily headed off the line.
And United had their keeper Alex McCarthy to thank for keeping the scores level at half-time when he dived to his right to push Henderson's downward header round his post.
Millwall started the second half brightly, with Scott Barron's driven 20-yard free-kick testing McCarthy.
However, Leeds, who lost midfielders Jonny Howson and Michael Brown to leg injuries before the break, took hold of the game with substitutes Sam and Andy Keogh looking lively going forward.
Keogh headed an effort straight at Mildenhall, while Sam volleyed a difficult chance into the crowd and Snodgrass drilled a 25-yard effort a couple of feet wide.
Winger Snodgrass finally broke the deadlock just after the hour mark, curling a free-kick beyond Mildenhall's outstretched left hand.
Three minutes later he doubled the lead as Leeds ended a run of five league games without a home win.
Snodgrass timed his run into the box to perfection to nod Sam's right-wing cross into the net - in a manner that former Leeds manager Kevin Blackwell, who was commenting on the game for BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, thought was reminiscent of Speed in his Elland Road prime.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 December 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 21 McCarthy
- 02 Connolly
- 03 Kisnorbo yellow card
- 22 Lees
- 28 White
- 08 Brown (Keogh 40)
- 14 Howson (Sam 36)
- 15 Clayton
- 16 Pugh
- 10 Becchio
- 23 Snodgrass
- 24 Taylor,
- 26 Bromby,
- 11 Sam,
- 20 Nunez,
- 38 Keogh
- 23 Mildenhall
- 05 Robinson
- 16 Barron (Bouazza 68)
- 21 Smith
- 27 Baker yellow card
- 31 Lowry (Ward 85)
- 06 Trotter yellow card
- 15 Feeney (Henry 73)
- 26 Abdou
- 07 Henderson
- 20 Simpson
- 13 Allsopp,
- 18 Ward,
- 08 Bouazza,
- 14 Henry,
- 09 Marquis
- Leeds 55%
- Millwall 45%
Attempts on target
- Leeds 10
- Millwall 4
Attempts off target
- Leeds 6
- Millwall 3
- Leeds 10
- Millwall 4
- Leeds 9
- Millwall 8
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:21 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+2:58 Short corner taken by Robert Snodgrass from the left by-line.
- 90:00+2:27 Robert Snodgrass decides to take a short corner.
- 90:00+2:15 Lloyd Sam takes a shot. Save made by Steve Mildenhall.
- 89:14 James Henry takes a shot. Alex McCarthy makes a comfortable save.
- 88:20 Darren Ward takes a shot. Save made by Alex McCarthy.
- 88:02 Danny Pugh concedes a free kick for a foul on James Henry. James Henry takes the free kick.
- 87:46 Luciano Becchio takes a shot. Save by Steve Mildenhall.
- 86:38 Shot from just outside the box by Aidan White goes over the target.
- 86:15 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Robert Snodgrass from the left by-line to the near post, Jack Smith manages to make a clearance.
- 85:34 Robert Snodgrass takes the outswinging corner, Darius Henderson makes a clearance.
- 84:54 Substitution Shane Lowry goes off and Darren Ward comes on.
- 82:28 Shane Lowry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luciano Becchio. Free kick taken by Adam Clayton.
- 81:22 Effort on goal by Andrew Keogh from 35 yards cleared the net.
- 74:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Luciano Becchio on Liam Trotter. Jack Smith takes the direct free kick.
- 72:33 Nathan Baker takes the direct free kick.
- 72:33 Substitution Liam Feeney leaves the field to be replaced by James Henry.
- 72:33 Booking Booking for Liam Trotter.
- 72:22 Unfair challenge on Jay Simpson by Luciano Becchio results in a free kick.
- 71:46 Robert Snodgrass takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 70:51 The free kick is delivered left-footed by Robert Snodgrass from left wing, Hamer Bouazza gets a block in.
- 70:51 Booking Nathan Baker receives a caution.
- 70:40 Nathan Baker challenges Lloyd Sam unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 69:21 Paul Robinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luciano Becchio. Patrick Kisnorbo takes the direct free kick.
- 68:40 Andrew Keogh is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Steve Mildenhall restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:35 Substitution Hamer Bouazza replaces Scott Barron.
- 64:27 Assist on the goal came from Lloyd Sam.
- 64:27 GOAL - Robert Snodgrass:Leeds 2 - 0 Millwall Robert Snodgrass finds the net with a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Leeds 2-0 Millwall.
- 63:56 Handball by Scott Barron. Free kick taken by Paul Connolly.
- 63:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adam Clayton on Nadjim Abdou. Liam Trotter takes the direct free kick.
- 62:45 Jay Simpson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 61:54 Assist on the goal came from Adam Clayton.
- 61:54 GOAL - Robert Snodgrass:Leeds 1 - 0 Millwall Robert Snodgrass grabs a goal direct from the free kick from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Leeds 1-0 Millwall.
- 61:16 Foul by Paul Robinson on Adam Clayton, free kick awarded.
- 59:35 Andrew Keogh takes a shot. Comfortable save by Steve Mildenhall.
- 54:39 Lloyd Sam takes a shot. Nadjim Abdou gets a block in.
- 53:13 Andrew Keogh is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Steve Mildenhall takes the indirect free kick.
- 50:32 Robert Snodgrass produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 49:31 Effort on goal by Lloyd Sam from inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 46:59 Strike comes in from Scott Barron from the free kick, save made by Alex McCarthy.
- 46:59 Booking Patrick Kisnorbo is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 46:51 Patrick Kisnorbo challenges Jack Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:29 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Scott Barron, clearance by Tom Lees.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:17 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+1:47 Shot from just outside the box by Danny Pugh goes over the bar.
- 43:58 Foul by Darius Henderson on Patrick Kisnorbo, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Alex McCarthy.
- 41:39 Lloyd Sam takes a shot. Comfortable save by Steve Mildenhall.
- 39:43 Substitution Andrew Keogh is brought on as a substitute for Michael Brown.
- 37:59 Liam Feeney concedes a free kick for a foul on Aidan White. The ball is swung over by Robert Snodgrass, Tom Lees takes a shot. Save made by Steve Mildenhall.
- 35:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Paul Robinson by Luciano Becchio. Steve Mildenhall restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:09 Substitution Lloyd Sam comes on in place of Jonathan Howson.
- 34:58 Jack Smith has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.
- 30:25 Darius Henderson is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Tom Lees restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:25 Patrick Kisnorbo challenges Scott Barron unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is swung over by Liam Feeney, Headed effort from close range by Liam Trotter goes wide left of the target.
- 26:28 Outswinging corner taken by Robert Snodgrass, Shane Lowry makes a clearance.
- 25:04 The offside flag is raised against Jonathan Howson. Steve Mildenhall restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:40 Corner taken by Scott Barron from the right by-line, clearance by Tom Lees.
- 19:05 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Liam Feeney from the left by-line, clearance by Luciano Becchio.
- 18:14 Inswinging corner taken by Liam Feeney from the left by-line, Darius Henderson takes a shot. Save by Alex McCarthy.
- 13:56 Robert Snodgrass takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Nadjim Abdou manages to make a clearance.
- 13:10 Corner taken by Robert Snodgrass played to the near post, clearance made by Darius Henderson.
- 12:40 Shot by Robert Snodgrass. Paul Robinson manages to make a clearance.
- 11:09 Handball by Darius Henderson. Free kick crossed left-footed by Patrick Kisnorbo from left channel, clearance made by Paul Robinson.
- 8:02 Outswinging corner taken by Robert Snodgrass from the left by-line, Patrick Kisnorbo produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 6:39 Adam Clayton challenges Liam Trotter unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Scott Barron from right channel.
- 5:24 Robert Snodgrass challenges Nadjim Abdou unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Jack Smith.
- 3:59 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Robert Snodgrass from the left by-line.
- 3:40 Robert Snodgrass takes a shot. Liam Feeney gets a block in.
- 2:24 Unfair challenge on Aidan White by Jack Smith results in a free kick. Robert Snodgrass takes the direct free kick.
- 1:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Howson by Nadjim Abdou. Tom Lees takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot
03 December 11Wales
03 December 11Football
03 December 11Football
01 December 11Football
30 November 11Football
28 November 11Welsh Football
27 November 11Football
27 November 11Wales