West Ham 3 - 1 Derby
Page last updated at 20:15 GMT, Saturday, 26 November 2011
West Ham narrowed the gap to Southampton at the top of the Championship to two points as they came from behind to win 3-1 against Derby.
Tamas Priskin fired in his first goal for the Rams, only two days after arriving on loan from Ipswich, after Jamie Ward's run and pass.
Carlton Cole's header levelled the scores shortly before half-time and Kevin Nolan's volley made it 2-1.
Mark Noble added a third from the penalty spot later in the second half.
The result means Sam Allardyce's side have extended their unbeaten run to six games, while Derby suffered their fourth successive defeat.
West Ham's evening started badly when Sam Baldock had to come off with a hamstring injury.
Shortly afterwards, Jack Collison nearly caught goalkeeper Frank Fielding out with a shot on the turn, but the visitors' keeper held the ball at the second attempt.
That, after 28 minutes, was West Ham's first shot on target and Derby responded by scoring with the game's next chance six minutes later.
Collison was caught in possession on the halfway line and that presented Ward with the chance to cut in from the left flank and find Priskin. James Tomkins remained static, losing the Hungary international, and he fired the ball into the far corner.
West Ham were back on level terms one minute before half-time thanks to Cole.
The visitors had cleared Abdoulaye Faye's free-kick but Joey O'Brien sent a first-time cross back in, which Cole directed past John Brayford, who was covering on the line.
Baldock's replacement Frederic Piquionne nearly put the hosts ahead early in the second half. Julien Faubert lofted a ball over the defence and the French striker brought the ball down expertly but his shot was blocked by Fielding.
Allardyce's side continued to press and they got their reward when Nolan fired them into the lead with a sublime show of technique 19 minutes after the break.
Collison diverted the ball in the midfielder's direction and he waited patiently for it to drop before planting a volley into the bottom corner of the net from 25 yards out.
The hosts then wrapped up the points 10 minutes later through Noble's spot-kick, slammed into the top corner, after Craig Bryson had pushed Piquionne in the box.
It could have been worse for Derby had full-back Gareth Roberts not cleared Piquionne's glancing header off the line near the end.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 26 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Green
- 03 McCartney yellow card
- 05 Tomkins
- 15 Faye
- 17 O'Brien
- 18 Faubert (Taylor 82)
- 04 Nolan
- 10 Collison
- 16 Noble
- 07 Baldock (Piquionne 21)
- 09 Cole (Carew 76)
- 29 Stech,
- 20 Demel,
- 14 Taylor,
- 11 Carew,
- 30 Piquionne
- 01 Fielding
- 02 Brayford (O'Brien 77)
- 03 Roberts
- 05 Barker (Hendrick 76)
- 06 Shackell
- 04 Bryson
- 16 Bailey
- 18 B Davies yellow card
- 32 Green
- 10 Ward (Doyle 79)
- 33 Priskin
- 13 Legzdins,
- 17 Buxton,
- 24 O'Brien,
- 23 Hendrick,
- 14 Doyle
- West Ham 57%
- Derby 43%
Attempts on target
- West Ham 5
- Derby 2
Attempts off target
- West Ham 5
- Derby 1
- West Ham 8
- Derby 5
- West Ham 13
- Derby 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:10 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+1:37 Frederic Piquionne challenges James Bailey unfairly and gives away a free kick. James Bailey takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+1:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gareth Roberts by Abdoulaye Faye. Gareth Roberts restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:19 Gareth Roberts fouled by Frederic Piquionne, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Frank Fielding.
- 86:11 Frederic Piquionne takes a shot. Clearance by Gareth Roberts.
- 85:15 Short corner taken by Matthew Taylor from the left by-line.
- 84:45 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mark Noble by Conor Doyle. Direct free kick taken by Mark Noble.
- 81:51 Substitution Julien Faubert goes off and Matthew Taylor comes on.
- 78:32 Foul by John Carew on Jason Shackell, free kick awarded. Frank Fielding restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:13 Substitution Conor Doyle on for Jamie Ward.
- 75:15 Substitution Mark O'Brien replaces John Brayford.
- 75:15 Substitution Shaun Barker goes off and Jeff Hendrick comes on.
- 75:15 Substitution John Carew on for Carlton Cole.
- 75:15 Foul by Carlton Cole on Jason Shackell, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Gareth Roberts.
- 74:42 Julien Faubert handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Jason Shackell takes the direct free kick.
- 74:24 The assist for the goal came from Frederic Piquionne.
- 73:51 GOAL - Mark Noble:West Ham 3 - 1 Derby Mark Noble scores a placed penalty. West Ham 3-1 Derby.
- 72:49 Foul by Craig Bryson on Frederic Piquionne, Penalty awarded.
- 72:29 Ben Davies takes a outswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Abdoulaye Faye.
- 72:04 Tamas Priskin takes a shot. Blocked by Abdoulaye Faye.
- 71:37 The referee penalises Craig Bryson for handball. Jack Collison takes the direct free kick.
- 69:38 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ben Davies from the left by-line, save by Robert Green.
- 68:40 The official flags Jack Collison offside. Frank Fielding takes the free kick.
- 65:36 Mark Noble concedes a free kick for a foul on Craig Bryson. Ben Davies takes the free kick.
- 63:20 Assist on the goal came from Jack Collison.
- 63:20 GOAL - Kevin Nolan:West Ham 2 - 1 Derby Kevin Nolan scores a goal from outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Ham 2-1 Derby.
- Correction - 60:14 Corner taken by Mark Noble, Abdoulaye Faye produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 60:14 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jamie Ward, Header on goal by Abdoulaye Faye from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 59:47 Frederic Piquionne takes a shot. Save by Frank Fielding.
- 57:55 Joey O'Brien gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tamas Priskin. Free kick crossed right-footed by Ben Davies.
- 51:15 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Mark Noble, Mark Noble concedes a free kick for a foul on Frank Fielding. Free kick taken by Frank Fielding.
- 48:39 Corner from the left by-line taken by Julien Faubert, Header from close range by Frederic Piquionne misses to the right of the target.
- 46:44 Corner taken by Mark Noble from the left by-line, Shaun Barker manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:38 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+3:06 Outswinging corner taken by Jack Collison from the right by-line, Jason Shackell manages to make a clearance.
- 44:00 Assist on the goal came from Joey O'Brien.
- 44:00 GOAL - Carlton Cole:West Ham 1 - 1 Derby Carlton Cole grabs a headed goal from close range. West Ham 1-1 Derby.
- 43:14 Abdoulaye Faye crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, clearance by Jason Shackell.
- 43:14 Booking Ben Davies is cautioned.
- 42:51 Ben Davies gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Carlton Cole.
- 40:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Bailey on Frederic Piquionne. Mark Noble takes the free kick.
- 39:31 Ben Davies crosses the ball in from the free kick, Robert Green makes a save.
- 39:31 Booking Booking for George McCartney for unsporting behaviour.
- 39:03 Unfair challenge on Paul Green by George McCartney results in a free kick.
- 37:09 Unfair challenge on George McCartney by Jamie Ward results in a free kick. George McCartney takes the free kick.
- 36:11 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Ben Davies from the left by-line, Foul by Shaun Barker on Joey O'Brien, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Robert Green.
- 35:14 James Tomkins fouled by Paul Green, the ref awards a free kick. George McCartney takes the direct free kick.
- 33:56 Assist by Jamie Ward.
- 33:56 GOAL - Tamas Priskin:West Ham 0 - 1 Derby Tamas Priskin scores a goal from just inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Ham 0-1 Derby.
- 32:49 Julien Faubert is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Frank Fielding restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shaun Barker on Frederic Piquionne. Mark Noble takes the direct free kick.
- 28:03 Jack Collison takes a shot. Save by Frank Fielding.
- 26:41 Frederic Piquionne challenges Craig Bryson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Frank Fielding takes the direct free kick.
- 25:20 Unfair challenge on Tamas Priskin by James Tomkins results in a free kick. Ben Davies restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:44 Shot by Carlton Cole from outside the box goes over the net.
- 20:35 Substitution (West Ham) makes a substitution, with Frederic Piquionne coming on for Sam Baldock.
- 16:42 George McCartney fouled by Ben Davies, the ref awards a free kick. Abdoulaye Faye takes the direct free kick.
- 13:46 Foul by Joey O'Brien on Ben Davies, free kick awarded. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Ben Davies, clearance made by Julien Faubert.
- 12:43 Jamie Ward takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, George McCartney makes a clearance.
- 10:12 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jack Collison, Unfair challenge on Shaun Barker by James Tomkins results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Frank Fielding.
- 8:50 Paul Green takes a shot. Save by Robert Green.
- 7:36 Shot by Kevin Nolan from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 6:18 George McCartney produces a left-footed shot from a long way out which goes wide right of the goal.
- 4:29 Julien Faubert is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Frank Fielding takes the free kick.
- 3:18 Mark Noble takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Ben Davies makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot
26 November 11Football