Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 25 September, 2001, 21:22 GMT 22:22 UK
Barnsley 1-1 Coventry
Barnsley striker Bruce Dyer ended Coventry's 100% record under caretaker boss Roland Nilsson with his sixth goal of the season.

Dyer levelled the scores with 11 minutes of the game remaining after Jairo Martinez had given City the lead.

Coventry, who still remain unbeaten since Nilsson took over from sacked Gordon Strachan, were hanging on in the end to secure the point.

Barnsley had strong penalty appeals turned down after Rory Fallon looked to have been pulled back in the area.

But if the home side had snatched a winner it would have been undeserved as Coventry enjoyed plenty of the game.

On 21 minutes Nilsson's through ball found Lee Hughes, but the striker fired just over the bar from 25 yards.

Coventry should have taken the lead on 30 minutes. Youssef Chippo's attempted chip over stranded keeper Andy Marriott landed wide of the target from 18 yards.

Barnsley's only real effort at goal was Jon Parkin's header over the bar following a Darren Barnard corner.

Coventry took the lead soon after the break. Martinez, who had only been on the field nine minutes, headed home a Hughes cross from six yards.

Formation switch

Minutes later Coventry went close to doubling their lead but Hughes' header was tipped over the bar by Marriott.

Hughes again went close for the visitors when he beat the Barnsley offside trap.

But Marriott was again equal to the former West Brom star's effort.

Barnsley boss Nigel Spackman made a double substitution by bringing Kevin Donovan and Fallon onto the field as he changed his formation to 4-4-2.

The switch seemed to work as Barnsley grew in confidence. And they levelled the scores on 79 minutes.

Fallon's mishit shot across the face of goal was put over the line from five yards by Dyer, who had an open goal in front of him.

Coventry broke clear to have one last chance but Hughes' fierce effort was blocked by Marriott.

At the death Barnsley midfielder Dean Gorre fired a fierce drive over the bar to the relief of Nilsson and the travelling Coventry supporters.

Barnsley: Marriott, Regan, Barker, Morgan, Parkin, Ward, Barnard, Gorre, Neil, Jones, Dyer. Subs: Ghent, Tinkler, Donovan, Fallon, Sheron.

Coventry: Hedman, Nilsson, Edworthy, Breen, Shaw, Safri, Thompson, Carsley, Chippo, Hughes, Bothroyd. Subs: O'Neill, Goram, Delorge, Martinez, Davenport.

Referee: S Baines (Chesterfield).

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top