Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 18 September, 2001, 22:02 GMT 23:02 UK
Norwich 3-1 Watford
Norwich moved up to second place in Division One as they notched their fourth straight home win against Gianluca Vialli's disappointing Watford side.

The Canaries scored twice in the first half through Iwan Roberts and Steen Nedergaard and rounded off an impressive display when defender Malky Mackay headed home after the break.

Watford had briefly threatened a revival when Ramon Vega pounced on a defensive mistake, but could have few complaints about their second defeat in the space of four days.

Norwich will now be looking to maintain their excellent form against top-of-the-table Burnley on Saturday in a first versus second clash that few would have predicted at the start of the season.

After a low-key start, which saw Watford defender Paul Robinson stretchered off after five minutes following a clash of heads, Norwich took a 19th-minute lead.

Roberts played a neat one-two with strike partner Marc Libbra on the edge of the area but the Welshman's shot looked tame.

But Norwegian keeper Espen Baardsen somehow let it bounce off his ankle into the net.

Five minutes later he was picking the ball out of the rigging again following an excellent Norwich move.

Northern Ireland international Paul McVeigh turned creator, dancing down the left flank before sending an inch-perfect cross to the far post where Nedergaard was waiting to head powerfully home.

Watford were handed a lifeline when Brian McGovern and Canaries goalkeeper Robert Green misread each other's intentions, allowing an alert Vega time to nip in and prod the ball home.

The visitors actually enjoyed a reasonable spell of possession early in the second half and came close to equalising in the 69th minute.

The back-pedalling Green was forced to make an acrobatic stop to keep out an audacious 40-yard chip from substitute Heidar Helguson.

But six minutes later Norwich restored their two-goal advantage as Mackay nipped in between two Watford defenders to nod home Craig Fleming's lofted free-kick.

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top