Blackpool 1 - 0 Millwall
Page last updated at 18:21 GMT, Saturday, 5 November 2011
Kevin Phillips made an instant impact from the bench to give Blackpool the points against in-form Millwall.
Among the substitutes for the second time in a week, Phillips had only been on the pitch for two minutes when he found the top corner on the hour.
The striker almost doubled his tally with five minutes left when he scuffed Neal Eardley's cross against the post.
Millwall had found the net 10 times in a run of three straight wins but rarely threatened until near the end.
But their late onslaught ran out of steam and Ian Holloway's side held out for back-to-back victories for the first time since the opening games of the season to move into the play-off places.
After some quiet opening exchanges, Blackpool midfielder Keith Southern brought the game to life in the eighth minute.
First, Lions' goalkeeper David Forde tipped his well-struck 25-yard drive around the post. From the resulting corner Southern found space for a free header that was cleared off the line by Jack Smith.
With 20 minutes gone, Smith proved less reliable when his untimely slip allowed Eardley to advance down the right and cut back to Southern who skied his effort.
Lomana LuaLua, fresh from a midweek brace on his full Blackpool debut, charged at the visiting defence in the 25th minute and skilfully shifted the ball onto his left foot to bring a great save out of Forde.
Millwall finally made an impression on the Seasiders when top scorer Darius Henderson peeled off to the far post and steered Liam Feeney's corner goalwards, only for man-of-the-match Alex Baptiste to intervene.
Baptiste caused some set-piece problems of his own at the other end but headed over when he connected with Ludovic Sylvestre's delivery.
The deadlock remained until Holloway withdrew Southern to introduce Phillips and, within minutes, he made the vital breakthrough with a sublime curling shot on the turn from the edge of the box.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 5 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Gilks
- 03 Crainey
- 05 Eardley
- 15 Baptiste
- 20 Cathcart
- 04 Southern (K Phillips 58)
- 14 Sylvestre (Basham 79)
- 16 Ferguson
- 37 Shelvey
- 38 LuaLua (Angel 78)
- 39 McManaman
- 29 Howard,
- 17 Basham,
- 31 Angel,
- 09 K Phillips,
- 36 Ince
- 01 Forde
- 02 Dunne
- 05 Robinson yellow card
- 18 Ward
- 21 Smith
- 06 Trotter
- 15 Feeney
- 24 Howard (Henry 65)
- 26 Abdou (Mkandawire 76)
- 07 Henderson
- 20 Simpson (McQuoid 75)
- 23 Mildenhall,
- 17 Mkandawire,
- 10 McQuoid,
- 14 Henry,
- 22 N'Guessan
- Blackpool 56%
- Millwall 44%
Attempts on target
- Blackpool 6
- Millwall 2
Attempts off target
- Blackpool 7
- Millwall 5
- Blackpool 6
- Millwall 4
- Blackpool 4
- Millwall 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:06 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:29 Corner from left by-line crossed in by Jonjo Shelvey.
- 90:00+2:22 Jonjo Shelvey crosses the ball, Tamika Mkandawire makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:45 Darius Henderson fouled by Craig Cathcart, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Josh McQuoid, clearance made by Alex Baptiste.
- 90:00+1:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by Callum McManaman on Jack Smith. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+1:00 Darius Henderson concedes a free kick for a foul on Barry Ferguson. Neal Eardley takes the free kick.
- 89:45 Jonjo Shelvey takes the outswinging corner, clearance made by Alan Dunne.
- 88:50 Kevin Phillips fouled by Tamika Mkandawire, the ref awards a free kick. Barry Ferguson restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:11 Shot from deep inside the area by Paul Robinson clears the bar.
- 87:40 James Henry takes a shot. Save by Matthew Gilks.
- 87:23 Jonjo Shelvey has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 86:39 A cross is delivered by Neal Eardley, Shot by Kevin Phillips from deep inside the penalty box hits the post.
- 85:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Barry Ferguson by Josh McQuoid. Alex Baptiste takes the direct free kick.
- 82:08 Kevin Phillips is caught offside. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 79:26 Liam Trotter produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 79:21 The ball is sent over by Liam Feeney.
- 77:49 Substitution Chris Basham comes on in place of Ludovic Sylvestre.
- 77:49 Substitution Martinez Angel replaces Lomana Tresor LuaLua.
- 77:23 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Liam Feeney.
- 74:54 Jonjo Shelvey takes the direct free kick.
- 74:54 Substitution Nadjim Abdou leaves the field to be replaced by Tamika Mkandawire.
- 74:54 Substitution Josh McQuoid replaces Jay Simpson.
- 74:54 Booking Paul Robinson receives a yellow card.
- 74:31 Paul Robinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin Phillips.
- 73:50 The ball is crossed by Stephen Crainey.
- 73:31 Darren Ward concedes a free kick for a foul on Lomana Tresor LuaLua. Direct free kick taken by Ludovic Sylvestre.
- 71:25 Jonjo Shelvey produces a cross, Paul Robinson manages to make a clearance.
- 71:03 Liam Feeney produces a cross, Alex Baptiste manages to make a clearance.
- 70:41 The offside flag is raised against Callum McManaman. Free kick taken by Liam Trotter.
- 67:06 Short corner taken by Jay Simpson.
- 66:53 Liam Trotter sends in a cross, clearance by Alex Baptiste.
- 66:02 The assistant referee flags for offside against Darius Henderson. Free kick taken by Craig Cathcart.
- 64:30 Indirect free kick taken by Matthew Gilks.
- 64:30 Substitution James Henry on for Brian Howard.
- 64:30 The official flags Liam Trotter offside.
- 63:55 Unfair challenge on Jay Simpson by Stephen Crainey results in a free kick. Brian Howard crosses the ball in from the free kick, Alex Baptiste manages to make a clearance.
- 60:50 The assist for the goal came from Jonjo Shelvey.
- 60:50 GOAL - Kevin Phillips:Blackpool 1 - 0 Millwall Kevin Phillips gets on the score sheet with a goal from outside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Blackpool 1-0 Millwall.
- 58:00 Substitution Kevin Phillips on for Keith Southern.
- 57:48 Alex Baptiste has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 52:56 The ball is swung over by Liam Feeney, Craig Cathcart makes a clearance.
- 52:16 Brian Howard is caught offside. Barry Ferguson restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:44 The ball is swung over by Liam Feeney, Barry Ferguson manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:08 The referee blows for half time.
- 43:54 Alex Baptiste is ruled offside. David Forde takes the indirect free kick.
- 43:17 Short corner taken by Callum McManaman from the left by-line, Lomana Tresor LuaLua crosses the ball, clearance made by Liam Feeney.
- 41:13 The ball is delivered by Jonjo Shelvey, Alan Dunne manages to make a clearance.
- 40:43 Neal Eardley sends in a cross, Jack Smith makes a clearance.
- 39:41 Jonjo Shelvey has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 38:55 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Matthew Gilks.
- 38:31 Darius Henderson takes a shot.
- 38:17 Centre by Liam Feeney, blocked by Neal Eardley.
- 37:09 Keith Southern is flagged offside by the assistant referee. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:42 Brian Howard has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 35:36 The ball is swung over by Liam Feeney.
- 35:07 Neal Eardley delivers the ball, clearance by Alan Dunne.
- 34:59 The ball is sent over by Jonjo Shelvey, Jack Smith makes a clearance.
- 34:31 Jay Simpson is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Alex Baptiste restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:46 Outswinging corner taken by Ludovic Sylvestre from the right by-line, Alex Baptiste produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 33:21 A cross is delivered by Jonjo Shelvey, Callum McManaman takes a shot. Paul Robinson gets a block in.
- 32:19 Liam Feeney produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 32:12 Alan Dunne delivers the ball.
- 31:33 Callum McManaman is caught offside. David Forde takes the free kick.
- 30:27 Jonjo Shelvey takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 28:48 Corner taken left-footed by Brian Howard from the right by-line, free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Matthew Gilks by Paul Robinson. Matthew Gilks takes the free kick.
- 28:14 Liam Feeney takes the inswinging corner, Darius Henderson takes a shot. Alex Baptiste gets a block in.
- 27:34 Ludovic Sylvestre challenges Brian Howard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Brian Howard crosses the ball in from the free kick, Alex Baptiste manages to make a clearance.
- 25:09 Effort from outside the penalty box by Barry Ferguson goes wide left of the target.
- 24:55 Ludovic Sylvestre decides to take a short corner.
- 24:34 Lomana Tresor LuaLua takes a shot. David Forde makes a save.
- 22:31 The ball is delivered by Darius Henderson, Ludovic Sylvestre makes a clearance.
- 21:45 The ball is swung over by Callum McManaman, David Forde makes a save.
- 19:43 Shot from just outside the box by Keith Southern goes over the target.
- 18:24 Neal Eardley sends in a cross.
- 15:53 Callum McManaman sends in a cross.
- 15:08 The assistant referee flags for offside against Darius Henderson. Alex Baptiste takes the free kick.
- 13:58 Lomana Tresor LuaLua sends in a cross, comfortable save by David Forde.
- 13:21 Unfair challenge on Stephen Crainey by Liam Feeney results in a free kick. Lomana Tresor LuaLua takes the direct free kick.
- 9:24 Liam Feeney crosses the ball, save by Matthew Gilks.
- 8:16 Corner taken by Ludovic Sylvestre from the left by-line, Keith Southern takes a shot. Blocked by Jack Smith.
- 7:48 Keith Southern takes a shot. Save made by David Forde.
- 7:39 The ball is delivered by Lomana Tresor LuaLua, blocked by Liam Trotter.
- 5:13 The referee blows for offside against Jay Simpson. Matthew Gilks restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:36 Darius Henderson is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Barry Ferguson takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot
05 November 11Millwall