Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 18 September, 2001, 22:11 GMT 23:11 UK
Gillingham 2-3 Wolves
Wolves extended their impressive away record this season with a hard-fought victory over Gillingham at Priestfield.

New Wolves strikers Nathan Blake and Kenny Miller were among the goals, firing their side into a healthy half-time lead.

The win looked all the more certain when Gillingham defender Barry Ashby was sent off for an alleged professional foul on Blake in the 55th minute.

In the 84th minute Cameroon striker Guy Ipoua pulled one back for the Gills before Shaun Newton added a third for Dave Jones' side.

Marlon King found time to pull a further goal back from the penalty spot, but Wolves held out for all three points.

Dave Jones' side excellent form on the road contrasted starkly with Gillingham's recent record, having lost three of their last four games.

But, in a bid to turn the tide at the Priestfield Stadium, Andy Hessenthaler's men came out in aggressive fashion.

And they nearly got their reward as early as the second minute.

Midfielder Paul Smith fired in a powerful volley from 35 yards which beat Wolves goalkeeper Michael Oakes, but the ball came back off the woodwork.

See-saw match

The visitors were quick to respond to the urgency shown by the home side, and showed their threat in the seventh minute when Blake and Miller combined to go close.

Blake, a recent signing from Blackburn, produced an accurate cross from the right but Miller was unable to keep his volley down.

Wolves did open the scoring in the 37th minute when Blake latched on to a Mark Kennedy cross to fire a right-footed shot home from the centre of the penalty area.

And three minutes later it was Miller's turn to profit from Kennedy's crossing abilities, heading home the second.

Ashby's dismissal 10 minutes into the second period appeared harsh, and the match continued to see-saw.

Ipoua set up a tense finish with a cracking effort, drilling the ball past Oakes into the top corner from 20 yards out.

But in the final minute Wolves restored their two-goal advantage when Newton fired low past Vince Bartram.

King slotted in a penalty for Hessenthaler's side in injury time, but it was not enough for the home side.

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top