Millwall 3 - 0 Coventry
Page last updated at 23:49 GMT, Tuesday, 1 November 2011
Two goals from Darius Henderson saw a dominant Millwall beat Coventry.
The in-form striker beat Coventry keeper Joe Murphy after receiving the ball from a surging Liam Trotter run on 53 minutes.
Trotter showed his strength soon after and again found Henderson, who let loose a left-foot shot into the top corner on 69 minutes.
In the 82nd minute, Trotter found Liam Feeney - sprinting free on the left - who calmly beat Murphy.
The victory makes it three consecutive wins in the Championship for the Lions - but Coventry remain in the relegation zone.
In-form HendersonContinue reading the main story
- Darius Henderson has now scored six goals in his last three games
Millwall manager Kenny Jackett did not make changes to the side which recorded wins over Leicester and Ipswich, while the visitors made three, with starts for James McPake, Richard Wood and Gary Deegan.
In the second half, faced with the prospect of a fourth game without a win and their seventh defeat of the season, Coventry almost struck back on the hour, but Cody McDonald headed Carl Baker's free kick wide from the centre of the penalty area.
Henderson's 69th minute goal was barely distinguishable from his first - a well-placed shot from a Feeney delivery - and the latter's strike sealed the win, making it 10 goals in three games for the Lions.
Coventry have not won at Millwall since 1955 - but Sky Blues fans will be more concerned that they have not won on the road this season, and the performance earned a broadside from manager Andy Thorn.
Despite a faltering start to the campaign Millwall's ten-game run without a win is fading from memory, and they could still compete for a play-off slot.
Thorn's warningContinue reading the main story
Andy Thorn Coventry manager
I'm sick of hearing excuses and people having opinions that aren't right, I know what's right and the players will do what we say or they won't be playing.
Millwall manager Kenny Jackett praised his summer signing saying: "Darius has made a great start to his Millwall career, he is in great form at the moment and has played very well for us so far.
"Every signing is a gamble and finding centre-forwards for the Championship is a big call. It is very tough and I would agree it was a risk.
"When I met him I was convinced he wanted to come back down south for family reasons and I felt that would help and he would be a lot more settled.
"He has given us a presence and a quality because he can bring people into play as well and when you get the ball in the box he is a threat."
Coventry boss Andy Thorn had a stark warning for his players, saying he was sick of excuses.
He said: "It was like two different sides were playing out there and when people start to think they are individuals you have got problems.
"Our second half performance was unacceptable - to turn in a performance like that was amateurish.
"We had a few chances in that first half, we felt comfortable and we felt we had more gears to go into. I'm sick of hearing excuses and people having opinions that aren't right, I know what's right and the players will do what we say or they won't be playing."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 1 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Forde
- 02 Dunne
- 05 Robinson
- 18 Ward
- 21 Smith
- 06 Trotter
- 15 Feeney
- 24 Howard (Henry 46)
- 26 Abdou
- 07 Henderson (N'Guessan 86)
- 20 Simpson (Mkandawire 76)
- 23 Mildenhall,
- 17 Mkandawire,
- 10 McQuoid,
- 14 Henry,
- 22 N'Guessan
- 01 Murphy
- 02 Keogh
- 06 McPake
- 24 Wood
- 30 Cameron
- 04 Clingan
- 08 Baker (Thomas 88)
- 12 Deegan (Platt 71)
- 09 Jutkiewicz
- 11 McSheffrey (Bell 84)
- 14 McDonald
- 13 Dunn,
- 31 Christie,
- 07 Bell,
- 32 Thomas,
- 22 Platt
- Millwall 59%
- Coventry 41%
Attempts on target
- Millwall 7
- Coventry 1
Attempts off target
- Millwall 1
- Coventry 8
- Millwall 7
- Coventry 3
- Millwall 10
- Coventry 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:04 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 89:46 Effort from just outside the box by Lukas Jutkiewicz goes over the bar.
- 88:51 Liam Trotter takes a shot. Save by Joe Murphy.
- 87:57 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by James Henry played to the near post, clearance made by Sammy Clingan.
- 87:57 Substitution Conor Thomas joins the action as a substitute, replacing Carl Baker.
- 85:25 Tamika Mkandawire restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:25 Substitution Dany N'Guessan on for Darius Henderson.
- 85:25 Foul by Clive Platt on Nadjim Abdou, free kick awarded.
- 84:37 James McPake challenges Darius Henderson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Darius Henderson restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:47 Substitution Gary McSheffrey goes off and David Bell comes on.
- 83:30 Liam Feeney concedes a free kick for a foul on Carl Baker. Richard Keogh restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:42 Liam Trotter provided the assist for the goal.
- 81:42 GOAL - Liam Feeney:Millwall 3 - 0 Coventry Liam Feeney fires in a goal from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Millwall 3-0 Coventry.
- 80:10 The referee blows for offside against Liam Trotter. Free kick taken by Sammy Clingan.
- 78:31 The offside flag is raised against Liam Feeney. Richard Keogh restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:36 Unfair challenge on Nathan Cameron by Darius Henderson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James McPake.
- 77:14 Shot from just outside the box by Carl Baker goes over the target.
- 76:48 Gary McSheffrey takes a short corner.
- 75:47 Free kick crossed right-footed by Sammy Clingan from left wing, clearance made by Liam Trotter.
- 75:47 Substitution Jay Simpson goes off and Tamika Mkandawire comes on.
- 75:47 James Henry concedes a free kick for a foul on Lukas Jutkiewicz.
- 70:18 Substitution (Coventry) makes a substitution, with Clive Platt coming on for Gary Deegan.
- 70:02 Gary McSheffrey has an effort at goal from close in which goes wide right of the goal.
- 68:15 Assist on the goal came from Liam Trotter.
- 68:15 GOAL - Darius Henderson:Millwall 2 - 0 Coventry Darius Henderson finds the back of the net with a goal from just outside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Millwall 2-0 Coventry.
- 66:50 Darius Henderson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James McPake. Joe Murphy takes the free kick.
- 66:29 Lukas Jutkiewicz concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Robinson. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 64:45 Carl Baker concedes a free kick for a foul on Alan Dunne. Free kick crossed by James Henry, clearance by Nathan Cameron.
- 64:09 Corner from the left by-line taken by Liam Feeney, Richard Wood makes a clearance.
- 61:58 Nathan Cameron fouled by Jay Simpson, the ref awards a free kick. Sammy Clingan restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:06 James McPake concedes a free kick for a foul on Darius Henderson. Free kick taken by Liam Trotter.
- 60:07 Cody McDonald fouled by Alan Dunne, the ref awards a free kick. Carl Baker crosses the ball, Headed effort from inside the area by Cody McDonald misses to the left of the goal.
- 59:20 Foul by Paul Robinson on Lukas Jutkiewicz, free kick awarded. Sammy Clingan crosses the ball in from the free kick, Darius Henderson makes a clearance.
- 53:46 Alan Dunne concedes a free kick for a foul on Lukas Jutkiewicz. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Sammy Clingan from left wing, Paul Robinson makes a clearance.
- 52:19 The assist for the goal came from Liam Trotter.
- 52:19 GOAL - Darius Henderson:Millwall 1 - 0 Coventry Goal scored by Darius Henderson from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Millwall 1-0 Coventry.
- 51:04 Lukas Jutkiewicz has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 48:44 Liam Feeney is ruled offside. Joe Murphy takes the indirect free kick.
- 48:08 Gary McSheffrey challenges Nadjim Abdou unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Forde takes the direct free kick.
- 46:07 James Henry takes the outswinging corner, James McPake makes a clearance.
- 45:42 Richard Wood challenges James Henry unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by James Henry.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution (Millwall) makes a substitution, with James Henry coming on for Brian Howard.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 43:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary Deegan on Jay Simpson. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:42 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gary McSheffrey, clearance made by Liam Feeney.
- 39:38 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by David Forde.
- 38:16 Gary McSheffrey takes a shot.
- 37:42 Foul by Darius Henderson on Sammy Clingan, free kick awarded. Sammy Clingan takes the free kick.
- 36:08 Nadjim Abdou takes a shot. Richard Keogh makes a clearance. Corner taken left-footed by Brian Howard, clearance by James McPake.
- 34:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Liam Trotter on Gary McSheffrey. Direct free kick taken by Sammy Clingan.
- 32:54 Strike by Cody McDonald from inside the six-yard box clear the bar.
- 32:22 Corner taken by Brian Howard, clearance made by James McPake.
- 32:05 Alan Dunne takes a shot. Nathan Cameron gets a block in.
- 30:55 Unfair challenge on Brian Howard by Gary Deegan results in a free kick. Liam Feeney crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left channel, Carl Baker manages to make a clearance.
- 29:13 Darius Henderson takes a shot. Save by Joe Murphy.
- 21:39 Unfair challenge on Liam Feeney by Richard Wood results in a free kick. Liam Feeney restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:45 Carl Baker takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 10:46 Corner taken left-footed by Brian Howard, save by Joe Murphy.
- 9:36 Brian Howard takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Cody McDonald.
- 7:02 Darius Henderson has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 6:25 Corner taken by Sammy Clingan from the right by-line, David Forde makes a save.
- 6:08 Gary McSheffrey produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the target.
- 1:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Cody McDonald on Paul Robinson. Free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot