Millwall 4 - 1 Ipswich
Page last updated at 17:09 GMT, Saturday, 29 October 2011 18:09 UK
Jay Simpson scored twice as Millwall hammered Ipswich to claim their first back-to-back league wins of the season.
The on-loan Hull striker opened the scoring with a simple finish before Darius Henderson doubled the lead four minutes later from a rebound.
Jimmy Bullard did grab one back when he sidefooted home after the hour.
However, two goals in two minutes completed the rout as Liam Feeney slotted home after 75 minutes and Simpson drilled home his second.
Millwall had only won one league game at The Den this season, a 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest, but they were in good spirits after last week's 3-0 victory away at Leicester City.
They were aided in this game by an inspired Simpson. After his opener, the former Arsenal trainee's powerful shot was then parried by Ipswich keeper David Stockdale and Henderson fired in the rebound for the second.
Bullard's goal gave Ipswich hope - they have recovered seven points this season from losing positions - but it was not to be as Simpson created a third when he set up Feeney for an easy finish.
Simpson then grabbed the fourth himself with a clever finish after cutting inside the visitors' defence to hand Kenny Jackett's men just their third win of the season.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 29 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Forde
- 02 Dunne
- 05 Robinson
- 18 Ward
- 21 Smith
- 06 Trotter
- 15 Feeney (N'Guessan 90+2)
- 24 Howard (Henry 89)
- 26 Abdou
- 07 Henderson
- 20 Simpson (Mkandawire 86)
- 23 Mildenhall,
- 17 Mkandawire,
- 14 Henry,
- 22 N'Guessan,
- 27 Agyemang
- 13 Stockdale
- 25 Collins
- 31 Sonko (Ingimarsson 40)
- 06 Leadbitter
- 07 Edwards (Emmanuel-Thomas 63)
- 08 Bowyer (Wabara 18)
- 15 Andrews
- 21 Bullard
- 39 Kennedy
- 10 Chopra
- 14 Scotland
- 12 Lee-Barrett,
- 04 Ingimarsson,
- 26 Wabara,
- 09 Emmanuel-Thomas,
- 18 Ellington
- Millwall 52%
- Ipswich 48%
Attempts on target
- Millwall 6
- Ipswich 3
Attempts off target
- Millwall 4
- Ipswich 7
- Millwall 5
- Ipswich 5
- Millwall 11
- Ipswich 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:31 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:27 Substitution Dany N'Guessan on for Liam Feeney.
- 90:00+0:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Liam Feeney by Michael Chopra. Alan Dunne takes the free kick.
- 88:04 Substitution James Henry joins the action as a substitute, replacing Brian Howard.
- 87:09 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 86:53 Michael Chopra decides to take the corner short.
- 86:15 Inswinging corner taken by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, clearance made by Darren Ward.
- 85:14 Substitution Tamika Mkandawire is brought on as a substitute for Jay Simpson.
- 83:11 Liam Trotter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Chopra. Shot on goal comes in from Jimmy Bullard from the free kick.
- 82:10 Keith Andrews takes a shot.
- 77:37 Darius Henderson challenges Ivar Ingimarsson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jimmy Bullard restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:42 GOAL - Jay Simpson:Millwall 4 - 1 Ipswich Jay Simpson finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Millwall 4-1 Ipswich.
- 73:54 Effort from the edge of the area by Jason Scotland goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 72:35 Assist on the goal came from Jay Simpson.
- 72:35 GOAL - Liam Feeney:Millwall 3 - 1 Ipswich Goal scored by Liam Feeney from inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Millwall 3-1 Ipswich.
- 71:45 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas challenges Brian Howard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Brian Howard restarts play with the free kick.
- 70:55 Liam Feeney takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Ivar Ingimarsson.
- 69:31 Michael Chopra takes a shot. Blocked by Jack Smith. Outswinging corner taken by Jimmy Bullard from the left by-line, clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 68:22 Liam Trotter takes a shot. Blocked by Grant Leadbitter. Inswinging corner taken by Liam Feeney, clearance made by Danny Collins.
- 67:23 Corner taken by Liam Feeney from the left by-line, clearance by Ivar Ingimarsson.
- 66:34 Foul by Keith Andrews on Jay Simpson, free kick awarded. Paul Robinson restarts play with the free kick.
- 65:08 Jason Scotland provided the assist for the goal.
- 65:08 GOAL - Jimmy Bullard:Millwall 2 - 1 Ipswich Jimmy Bullard scores a goal from the edge of the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Millwall 2-1 Ipswich.
- 62:06 Substitution Carlos Edwards leaves the field to be replaced by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
- 60:58 Jason Scotland challenges Brian Howard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Strike comes in from Jay Simpson from the free kick.
- 60:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jimmy Bullard on Brian Howard. Free kick crossed right-footed by Liam Feeney from left wing, Carlos Edwards manages to make a clearance.
- 59:53 Unfair challenge on Jay Simpson by Grant Leadbitter results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Jay Simpson.
- 58:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jason Scotland by Nadjim Abdou. Keith Andrews restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:22 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jay Simpson. Free kick taken by David Stockdale.
- 56:21 Jay Simpson has an effort at goal from deep inside the penalty box that bounces off the post. Brian Howard takes a shot. Save by David Stockdale.
- 49:32 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Jimmy Bullard, Header from close in by Danny Collins misses to the right of the target.
- 47:15 Jimmy Bullard takes the outswinging corner, Darren Ward manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:17 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+1:50 Effort on goal by Alan Dunne from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 43:49 Keith Andrews handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Brian Howard.
- 42:27 Unfair challenge on Grant Leadbitter by Liam Trotter results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jimmy Bullard.
- 41:57 Brian Howard has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 39:16 Substitution Ivar Ingimarsson comes on in place of Ibrahima Sonko.
- 37:06 Foul by Darius Henderson on Reece Wabara, free kick awarded. Reece Wabara takes the free kick.
- 35:24 Jason Scotland concedes a free kick for a foul on Brian Howard. Free kick taken by Darren Ward.
- 34:16 Foul by Darius Henderson on Ibrahima Sonko, free kick awarded. Ibrahima Sonko takes the direct free kick.
- 30:28 Shot from 35 yards by Jason Scotland went wide right of the target.
- 28:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Brian Howard by Keith Andrews. Free kick taken by Darren Ward.
- 22:37 The referee blows for offside. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:18 Liam Trotter concedes a free kick for a foul on Jimmy Bullard. Jimmy Bullard takes the free kick.
- 20:40 Alan Dunne gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Kennedy. Jimmy Bullard delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, David Forde makes a save.
- 19:45 Brian Howard gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ibrahima Sonko. David Stockdale takes the free kick.
- 19:25 The assistant referee flags for offside against Michael Chopra. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:30 Alan Dunne concedes a free kick for a foul on Grant Leadbitter. Jimmy Bullard crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save by David Forde.
- 17:08 Substitution Lee Bowyer goes off and Reece Wabara comes on.
- 10:07 Brian Howard takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Grant Leadbitter. Corner taken by Liam Feeney, clearance by Carlos Edwards.
- 8:50 Jay Simpson provided the assist for the goal.
- 8:50 GOAL - Darius Henderson:Millwall 2 - 0 Ipswich Darius Henderson finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. Millwall 2-0 Ipswich.
- 7:30 Shot from just outside the box by Michael Chopra misses to the right of the target.
- 5:01 Assist on the goal came from Darius Henderson.
- 5:01 GOAL - Jay Simpson:Millwall 1 - 0 Ipswich Jay Simpson grabs a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Millwall 1-0 Ipswich.
- 3:36 Liam Trotter challenges Keith Andrews unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Jimmy Bullard.
- 2:07 Foul by Grant Leadbitter on Brian Howard, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Brian Howard.
- 1:07 Michael Chopra is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot