Southampton 1 - 0 West Ham
Page last updated at 22:00 GMT, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 23:00 UK
Southampton opened up a five-point lead at the top of the Championship with a narrow win over second-placed West Ham.
Jos Hooiveld's goal was enough for Saints as he headed home Daniel Fox's corner on the stroke of half time.
It maintained Southampton's 100% home record and came in front of a St Mary's record crowd of 32,150.
West Ham had chances to level, with Sam Baldock shooting wide and Mark Noble hitting the post as they lost away from home for the first time this term.
The visitors started brightly with Matt Taylor testing Kelvin Davis with a low drive inside the opening minute. Dean Hammond then shot over from distance twice for Southampton.
West Ham were forced to make an early substitution when Taylor limped off, to be replaced by Frederic Piquionne, with what looked to be a recurrence of a calf injury.
Saints boss Nigel Adkins
We have got a lot of belief at the club and are trying to play good football
Richard Chaplow should have done better for the home side with a close-range volley before Kevin Nolan watched his 22-yard, curling shot fly inches wide.
Baldock looked set to get his name on the scoresheet in the 36th minute but his hooked effort from eight yards was well blocked by the legs of Davis.
That sparked Southampton back into life and, after David Connolly saw a first-time volley gathered by Manuel Almunia, they opened the scoring.
Fox's corner from the right picked out Hooiveld and the on-loan Celtic defender powered in a header.
The home side continued to dominate after half time, with a succession of corners, but Baldock found himself one-on-one with Davis before curling the ball wide as the game opened up.
A slip from Papa Bouba Diop allowed Connolly to race forward and bend a shot just wide, but West Ham kept pressing as Nolan brought another stop from Davis.
Chaplow was not too far away with an angled drive and Guly Do Prado curled an effort wide then had a shot blocked.
In a frantic finish, Noble saw a free-kick tipped on to the roof of the net and, from the resulting corner, his cross flicked off the head of a defender and came back off the far post but Southampton held on.
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins:
"West Ham were in the Premier League last season, their aspiration is to go straight back up and they are favourites to do that.
"We also have that aspiration and after 12 games of the season we are top of the league and are there on merit.
"We kept a clean sheet, played some good football, created opportunities and scored a good goal from a set play so I am pleased with the three points.
"We have got a lot of belief at the club and are trying to play good football."
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce:
"We knew Southampton would be dangerous coming forward and I wanted to nullify their attacking strengths.
"The first half was very tight and we created some chances so were disappointed to concede right before half-time.
"This is not an easy place to come and on another day we would have got something out of it."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 18 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Davis
- 02 Richardson
- 06 Fonte
- 13 Fox
- 26 Hooiveld yellow card
- 04 Schneiderlin
- 10 Guly (De Ridder 86 yellow card)
- 14 Hammond
- 18 Chaplow yellow card (Harding 74)
- 07 Lambert
- 22 Connolly (Cork 82)
- 21 Bialkowski,
- 03 Harding,
- 16 Martin,
- 08 Cork,
- 33 De Ridder
- 13 Almunia
- 02 Reid yellow card
- 03 McCartney
- 15 Faye
- 18 Faubert
- 04 Nolan yellow card
- 14 Taylor (Piquionne 20)
- 21 Diop (Noble 66)
- 22 Lansbury
- 07 Baldock yellow card
- 11 Carew (O'Brien 78)
- 31 Boffin,
- 17 O'Brien,
- 10 Collison,
- 16 Noble,
- 30 Piquionne
- Southampton 50%
- West Ham 50%
Attempts on target
- Southampton 9
- West Ham 4
Attempts off target
- Southampton 9
- West Ham 6
- Southampton 6
- West Ham 8
- Southampton 10
- West Ham 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:05 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+3:31 Julien Faubert sends in a cross.
- 90:00+1:56 Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Richard Lambert, save made by Manuel Almunia.
- 90:00+1:56 Booking Winston Reid booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+1:50 Winston Reid challenges Dan Harding unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 89:46 Manuel Almunia takes the indirect free kick.
- 89:46 Booking The referee cautions Steve De Ridder for unsporting behaviour.
- 89:40 Foul by Steve De Ridder on Winston Reid, free kick awarded.
- 87:28 Inswinging corner taken by Dan Harding from the left by-line.
- 87:18 Steve De Ridder takes a shot. Manuel Almunia makes a save.
- 86:51 George McCartney sends in a cross, save made by Kelvin Davis.
- 85:44 Mark Noble takes a shot. Kelvin Davis makes a save. Mark Noble takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Jose Fonte.
- 84:49 Centre by Mark Noble.
- 84:49 Substitution Guly Do Prado goes off and Steve De Ridder comes on.
- 84:49 Foul by Frazer Richardson on George McCartney, free kick awarded.
- 84:43 The ball is swung over by George McCartney, Kelvin Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 81:12 Substitution Jack Cork comes on in place of David Connolly.
- 79:45 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Henri Lansbury, Guly Do Prado manages to make a clearance.
- 79:35 A cross is delivered by George McCartney, clearance by Guly Do Prado.
- 79:24 Julien Faubert sends in a cross.
- 78:00 Substitution (West Ham) makes a substitution, with Joey O'Brien coming on for John Carew.
- 77:20 Guly Do Prado takes a shot. Blocked by Winston Reid.
- 75:56 The referee blows for offside. Kelvin Davis restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:51 Corner taken by Daniel Fox. Shot from outside the box by Jos Hooiveld misses to the left of the goal.
- 74:41 Guly Do Prado takes a shot. Manuel Almunia makes a save.
- 73:15 Free kick taken by George McCartney.
- 73:15 Substitution Dan Harding joins the action as a substitute, replacing Richard Chaplow.
- 73:15 Booking Richard Chaplow is booked.
- 72:42 Henri Lansbury fouled by Richard Chaplow, the ref awards a free kick.
- 72:12 Frazer Richardson produces a cross, clearance made by Winston Reid.
- 70:01 Guly Do Prado produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the target.
- 69:52 Richard Lambert crosses the ball, clearance made by Abdoulaye Faye.
- 67:56 Richard Chaplow produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the goal.
- 66:47 Julien Faubert produces a cross.
- 65:43 Frazer Richardson challenges Henri Lansbury unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by George McCartney.
- 65:23 Substitution Mark Noble joins the action as a substitute, replacing Papa Bouba Diop.
- 63:03 The ball is sent over by Dean Hammond, George McCartney gets a block in. Corner taken by Daniel Fox from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Winston Reid.
- 62:27 Booking The referee shows Jos Hooiveld a yellow card.
- 61:48 Corner taken by Henri Lansbury from the left by-line, Headed effort from inside the area by John Carew misses to the left of the goal.
- 60:11 David Connolly produces a left-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 59:16 Sam Baldock takes a shot. Kelvin Davis makes a save.
- 59:01 Unfair challenge on Kevin Nolan by Richard Chaplow results in a free kick. Free kick taken by George McCartney.
- 58:04 Foul by George McCartney on Richard Lambert, free kick awarded. Frazer Richardson restarts play with the free kick.
- 57:46 The ball is crossed by Sam Baldock, clearance made by Jose Fonte.
- 55:56 Richard Lambert crosses the ball, Shot by Dean Hammond from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 55:02 David Connolly produces a right-footed shot from close in which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 53:54 Foul by Daniel Fox on Frederic Piquionne, free kick awarded. The ball is swung over by Julien Faubert, Effort from deep inside the area by Papa Bouba Diop misses to the right of the target.
- 53:02 Shot from just outside the box by Sam Baldock misses to the right of the goal.
- 52:07 Daniel Fox takes a inswinging corner.
- 51:44 Shot comes in from Richard Lambert from the free kick, Abdoulaye Faye gets a block in.
- 51:44 Booking Sam Baldock goes into the referee's book.
- 50:58 Booking Caution for Kevin Nolan.
- 50:34 Dean Hammond fouled by Kevin Nolan, the ref awards a free kick.
- 49:29 Frederic Piquionne sends in a cross, blocked by Daniel Fox. Corner taken right-footed by Henri Lansbury from the right by-line, Close range effort by Winston Reid misses to the left of the goal.
- 49:19 The ball is crossed by Frederic Piquionne, clearance made by Jose Fonte.
- 47:42 The ball is delivered by George McCartney, clearance made by Richard Chaplow. Henri Lansbury takes a outswinging corner.
- 46:37 Henri Lansbury gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Morgan Schneiderlin. Daniel Fox takes the direct free kick.
- 45:33 Inswinging corner taken by Winston Reid from the right by-line.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:04 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+0:53 The ball is sent over by Frederic Piquionne, Close range headed effort by John Carew misses to the right of the target.
- 44:34 Assist by Daniel Fox.
- 44:34 GOAL - Jos Hooiveld:Southampton 1 - 0 West Ham Jos Hooiveld finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Southampton 1-0 West Ham.
- 44:07 Corner taken left-footed by Daniel Fox from the right by-line,
- 43:55 David Connolly takes a shot. Abdoulaye Faye gets a block in.
- 41:02 Richard Chaplow challenges Julien Faubert unfairly and gives away a free kick. Manuel Almunia restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:47 Richard Lambert sends in a cross, Richard Chaplow takes a shot. Save by Manuel Almunia.
- 36:28 Frazer Richardson delivers the ball, blocked by George McCartney.
- 36:02 Sam Baldock takes a shot. Save by Kelvin Davis.
- 34:02 Frederic Piquionne is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Jose Fonte.
- 33:49 The ball is delivered by Julien Faubert, clearance made by Jos Hooiveld.
- 31:03 Kevin Nolan has shot on goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 30:28 Henri Lansbury challenges Jos Hooiveld unfairly and gives away a free kick. Daniel Fox takes the direct free kick.
- 29:58 The ball is sent over by John Carew, Jos Hooiveld manages to make a clearance.
- 29:18 The ball is crossed by David Connolly, Strike by Richard Chaplow from inside the six-yard box clear the bar.
- 26:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Guly Do Prado on George McCartney. Free kick crossed left-footed by George McCartney from left channel.
- 25:13 Daniel Fox crosses the ball, free kick awarded for a foul by Jose Fonte on Winston Reid. Indirect free kick taken by Manuel Almunia.
- 24:22 Inswinging corner taken by Daniel Fox from the right by-line.
- 24:15 The ball is sent over by Richard Lambert, Winston Reid manages to make a clearance.
- 23:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Henri Lansbury by Dean Hammond. Papa Bouba Diop takes the free kick.
- 23:00 The ball is crossed by Frazer Richardson.
- 21:24 Papa Bouba Diop concedes a free kick for a foul on Richard Chaplow. Morgan Schneiderlin takes the direct free kick.
- 19:57 Substitution Frederic Piquionne on for Matthew Taylor.
- 18:58 Dean Hammond fouled by Kevin Nolan, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Morgan Schneiderlin.
- 17:23 Henri Lansbury delivers the ball, clearance by Jos Hooiveld.
- 11:09 David Connolly delivers the ball, save made by Manuel Almunia.
- 8:09 Kevin Nolan gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Morgan Schneiderlin. Dean Hammond takes the direct free kick.
- 7:38 Shot by Dean Hammond from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 6:25 The offside flag is raised against John Carew. Jos Hooiveld restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:42 Dean Hammond has shot on goal from a long way out that goes wide left.
- 5:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Papa Bouba Diop on Richard Chaplow. Direct free kick taken by Dean Hammond.
- 3:35 David Connolly takes a shot. Blocked by Winston Reid.
- 3:03 The ball is crossed by Daniel Fox, blocked by Henri Lansbury.
- 0:48 Matthew Taylor takes a shot. Save made by Kelvin Davis. Matthew Taylor takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Guly Do Prado.
- 0:25 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Taylor, Jose Fonte makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot