Millwall 0 - 1 Burnley
Page last updated at 17:13 GMT, Saturday, 1 October 2011 18:13 UK
Jay Rodriguez's eighth goal of the season earned Burnley victory at Millwall and secured back-to-back league wins for Eddie Howe's side.
Neither side threatened much until Rodriguez steered in a well-worked corner on 37 minutes.
Millwall left the pitch to loud boos at the interval but improved dramatically.
John Marquis had a strike ruled out for offside and had an effort cleared off the line while James Henry also went close but the visitors held on.
The result means the Lions' winless run extends to eight games and they have also failed to score in three consecutive home matches.
But the pressure has eased on Clarets manager Howe whose also masterminded a thumping 5-1 win over Nottingham Forest in midweek.
Howe's men frustrated the hosts in an uninspiring first half - notable only for Rodriguez's opener when he met Ross Wallace's corner and made enough contact to send the ball past David Forde.
Dany N'Guessan fired Millwall's best chance of a disappointing half wide but they showed far more purpose in the early stages of the second half, with Henry's threatening shot blocked and substitute Marquis being denied a leveller by an assistant referee's flag when he slid the ball into the net.
Brian Howard's curling free-kick then saw Lee Grant produce a fine a sprawling save and the keeper also denied Liam Feeney.
Millwall continued to threaten and Hamer Bouazza climbed off the bench to rifle a late effort narrowly over and Marquis saw a shot cleared off the line, but although Burnley rarely looked like adding to their lead, they held on for the win.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 1 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Forde
- 05 Robinson
- 16 Barron
- 17 Mkandawire
- 18 Ward
- 06 Trotter
- 14 Henry (Bouazza 71)
- 15 Feeney
- 24 Howard yellow card
- 20 Simpson (Marquis 46 yellow card)
- 22 N'Guessan
- 23 Mildenhall,
- 02 Dunne,
- 08 Bouazza,
- 26 Abdou,
- 09 Marquis
- 01 Grant
- 02 Trippier yellow card
- 15 Edgar
- 21 Amougou
- 24 Easton yellow card
- 06 McCann
- 07 Wallace
- 11 Stanislas (Treacy 79)
- 20 Bartley yellow card (Marney 73)
- 09 Rodriguez
- 23 Austin
- 30 Stewart,
- 36 Mee,
- 08 Marney,
- 26 Treacy,
- 16 Hines
- Millwall 53%
- Burnley 47%
Attempts on target
- Millwall 6
- Burnley 2
Attempts off target
- Millwall 4
- Burnley 4
- Millwall 9
- Burnley 4
- Millwall 11
- Burnley 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:02 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+2:47 Outswinging corner taken by Scott Barron, Keith Treacy manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+2:19 Brian Howard takes the inswinging corner, Brian Easton makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:13 John Marquis takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 88:57 Corner from right by-line taken by Brian Howard.
- 88:15 Foul by Liam Trotter on Chris McCann, free kick awarded. Andre Amougou takes the direct free kick.
- 85:51 Booking Brian Easton receives a caution.
- 83:51 John Marquis takes a shot. David Edgar gets a block in.
- 81:34 Effort by Hamer Bouazza from a long way out goes over the target.
- 78:37 Substitution Keith Treacy is brought on as a substitute for Junior Stanislas.
- 77:16 Lee Grant takes the indirect free kick.
- 77:16 Booking Booking for John Marquis for unsporting behaviour.
- 77:12 John Marquis challenges David Edgar unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 74:37 Chris McCann fouled by Brian Howard, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Andre Amougou.
- 72:46 Substitution (Burnley) makes a substitution, with Dean Marney coming on for Marvin Bartley.
- 70:54 Substitution James Henry leaves the field to be replaced by Hamer Bouazza.
- 69:29 Strike on goal comes in from James Henry from the free kick, save by Lee Grant.
- 69:29 Booking Marvin Bartley is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 69:17 Brian Howard fouled by Marvin Bartley, the ref awards a free kick.
- 68:27 Corner taken by Brian Howard from the right by-line, Lee Grant makes a save.
- 68:13 Liam Feeney takes a shot. Save made by Lee Grant.
- 66:38 Ross Wallace takes the inswinging corner, David Edgar takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 63:27 Junior Stanislas has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 60:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Paul Robinson by Junior Stanislas. David Forde takes the direct free kick.
- 59:31 Corner taken left-footed by Brian Howard, free kick awarded for a foul by Liam Trotter on Brian Easton. Direct free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 57:18 Brian Howard takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Header from close range by John Marquis clears the bar.
- 55:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on John Marquis by Brian Easton. Free kick crossed left-footed by Brian Howard from right channel, Lee Grant makes a save.
- 53:49 Shot on goal comes in from Brian Howard from the free kick, save by Lee Grant.
- 53:49 Booking Caution for Brian Howard.
- 53:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on John Marquis by Andre Amougou.
- 52:56 Shot on goal by Ross Wallace from long range goes harmlessly over the target.
- 51:51 Corner taken by James Henry from the left by-line, save by Lee Grant.
- 50:59 John Marquis is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 50:11 Chris McCann takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 47:16 The official flags Jay Rodriguez offside. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 46:53 James Henry takes a shot. Lee Grant makes a save.
- 45:56 James Henry gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Brian Easton. Kieran Trippier takes the direct free kick.
- 45:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marvin Bartley by Brian Howard. Lee Grant restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution John Marquis comes on in place of Jay Simpson.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:41 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+3:14 Kieran Trippier fouled by Dany N'Guessan, the ref awards a free kick. Lee Grant takes the free kick.
- 45:00+2:14 Charlie Austin is flagged offside by the assistant referee. David Forde takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:49 Free kick taken by Scott Barron.
- 45:00+0:49 Booking Kieran Trippier booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 45:00+0:38 Kieran Trippier concedes a free kick for a foul on Liam Feeney.
- 43:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marvin Bartley on Jay Simpson. Direct free kick taken by Paul Robinson.
- 42:52 The assistant referee signals for offside against Dany N'Guessan. Lee Grant takes the indirect free kick.
- 40:46 Dany N'Guessan is ruled offside. Lee Grant restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marvin Bartley on Liam Feeney. James Henry shoots direct from the free kick.
- 36:13 Assist by Ross Wallace.
- 36:13 GOAL - Jay Rodriguez:Millwall 0 - 1 Burnley A goal is scored by Jay Rodriguez from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Millwall 0-1 Burnley.
- 35:41 Corner taken by Ross Wallace,
- 33:44 Tamika Mkandawire challenges Jay Rodriguez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Junior Stanislas from left wing, clearance made by Tamika Mkandawire.
- 31:12 The official flags Junior Stanislas offside. Indirect free kick taken by David Forde.
- 28:22 Unfair challenge on Andre Amougou by Brian Howard results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Andre Amougou.
- 27:40 The assistant referee flags for offside against Charlie Austin. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 24:52 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by James Henry played to the near post, clearance made by Jay Rodriguez.
- 23:38 Dany N'Guessan produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 21:38 Long range shot from Junior Stanislas misses to the left of the target.
- 21:12 Junior Stanislas takes a short corner.
- 17:07 Unfair challenge on Marvin Bartley by Brian Howard results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 14:29 Corner taken short by Junior Stanislas.
- 8:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tamika Mkandawire by Jay Rodriguez. Indirect free kick taken by David Forde.
- 7:06 James Henry takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Jay Rodriguez.
- 5:04 Unfair challenge on Marvin Bartley by Brian Howard results in a free kick. Chris McCann takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot