Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 25 August, 2001, 17:11 GMT 18:11 UK
Man City 5-2 Crewe
Paulo Wanchope
Wanchope sends Maine Road fans wild
Shaun Goater and Paulo Wanchope scored two goals each as Manchester City sent manager Kevin Keegan on another rollercoaster ride.

In the end it all worked out for the former England coach - but he had to endure some tense moments.

Two late goals from Wayne Collins and Colin Little dragged Crewe back into the game at half-time after Wanchope and a Stuart Pearce penalty had looked like giving City an unassailable lead at Maine Road.

City came into the game without three key players - Eyal Berkovic, Jeff Whitley and goalkeeper Carlo Nash.

All three were injured during last week's 2-0 defeat at Norwich.

But England Under-21 international Nicky Weaver was fit to make his return between the City sticks for the first time since being axed by former boss Joe Royle in March.

In front of their own fans, City were keen to register their second win of the season and they had the first serious shot of the game when Wanchope volleyed wide after just five minutes.

The striker had another good chance moments later, but Bankole recovered well to save Wanchope's lobbed left-foot effort from the middle of the area as the home side piled on the early pressure.

But despite City's dominance it was Crewe who came closest to opening the scoring when Rob Hulse came tantalisingly close with a brilliant 20-yard shot that sailed narrowly wide.

And when Steve Macauley's thunderous header bounced back off the woodwork after 27 minutes the visitors really began to grow in confidence.

But, two minutes after Danny Granville had picked up a 31st-minute booking for unsporting behaviour, Wanchope sent the Maine Road faithful wild with his shot into the top right-hand corner.

Macauley then handled the ball in the area after 42 minutes and Pearce made no mistake from the penalty spot.

With the home fans waiting for the half-time whistle, Collins converted an Allan Navaro cross and Little fired in a superb quickfire equaliser deep into first-half injury-time.

City again had some anxious moments in the second half but Goater then struck in the 80th and 88th minutes before Wanchope wrapped the game up in the 90th minute.

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top