Birmingham 3 - 0 Millwall
Page last updated at 15:02 GMT, Sunday, 11 September 2011 16:02 UK
Chris Wood's hat-trick earned Birmingham only their second league victory of the season.
Millwall's new signing Liam Feeney had struck a post with a 20-yard effort during a lively start.
Birmingham went ahead in the 29th minute as Morgaro Gomis picked out Jean Beausejour, who crossed for Wood to finish from 10 yards.
Wood added his second from a powerful strike after 62 minutes then nodded in Chris Burke's cross late on.
Birmingham had gone into the game in the bottom three, having taken just four points from four matches, so this was a timely result.
Having to balance their Championship campaign with European commitments has been a challenge, but this result thrusts the Midlands side up into mid-table.
With the home team looking comfortable at 2-0, they brought on Marlon King for his debut after recovering from a knee injury. The former Coventry forward looked keen to impress but fellow striker Wood, on loan from West Brom, took the plaudits for a display of clinical finishing.
BIRMINGHAM'S BUSY MONTHContinue reading the main story
Thu 15 - SC Braga (H)
Sun 18 - Southampton (A)
Wed 21 - Manchester City (A)
Sat 24 - Barnsley (H)
Tue 27 - Leeds (H)
Thu 29 - NK Maribor (A)
Although Wood scored the goals, the biggest threat to Millwall was Beausejour. Playing out wide, he was outstanding throughout. With Chris Burke looking a handful on the other flank, there was plenty of width.
The visitors offered little in a disappointing second-half effort after trailing 1-0 following a first period in which they competed. Millwall's rare attempts were dealt with well by home keeper Boaz Myhill.
Earlier, the visitors looked a much better outfit. Although Wood came close in the opening stages with an effort from the edge of the area, Hameur Bouazza soon took the game to Birmingham. He had a shot saved by Myhill and also fired wide.
Feeney then came even closer by cutting in and delivering the powerful drive that struck a post. Birmingham recovered well though, scoring from a swift counter-attack as Gomis's pass allowed Beausejour to put in the pass that Wood knocked in.
Birmingham, despite having thrown away leads recently, showed no sign of easing off after their opener. Beausejour's corner was glanced wide by Curtis Davies then Burke also steered wide from distance.
Millwall briefly threatened following the break when Jay Simpson forced Myhill into a save but, after that, Birmingham were dominant. Liam Ridgewell's header was kept out by David Forde, but they soon made up for that as Wood drove a hard shot beyond the Millwall goalkeeper.
King then arrived and Chris Hughton's team continued to look good with Davies again agonisingly denied as another header struck a post following Beausejour's corner.
Liam Trotter forced Myhill into a late save but Birmingham made the scoreline more emphatic when Burke supplied Wood to head in his third.
Birmingham manager Chris Hughton said: "Chris Wood is getting better with each game that he plays and each week that he is with us. We are very grateful to [parent club] West Brom.
"It is one that is working well both ways. We know the ability that he has got and he is able to do it on a regular basis now and we are delighted he is showing the form he is showing.
"I think the clean sheet was as important as the goals. We were up against a very tough team that started the game well but we showed great resilience."
Millwall manager Kenny Jackett said: "Our first-half performance was pretty good and we were somewhat unlucky to be 1-0 down. In the second half, I felt that we didn't do enough.
"We didn't really show enough belief. Confidence and belief is part of being a professional sportsman and you have to maintain that and always fight back.
"But it is three league games without a goal. We are aware of that. For us now it is about finding the right combination to score."
Live text and stats
Sunday, 11 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Myhill
- 02 Carr
- 04 Caldwell
- 06 Ridgewell
- 23 Spector
- 24 Davies
- 07 Burke
- 11 Beausejour yellow card
- 14 Gomis (Elliott 78)
- 17 Rooney (King 64)
- 39 Wood
- 13 Doyle,
- 03 Murphy,
- 15 Elliott,
- 22 Redmond,
- 09 King
- 01 Forde
- 02 Dunne
- 03 Craig
- 05 Robinson
- 17 Mkandawire
- 18 Ward
- 06 Trotter
- 08 Bouazza (Henry 61)
- 15 Feeney yellow card (N'Guessan 61)
- 07 Henderson
- 20 Simpson (Marquis 72)
- 23 Mildenhall,
- 14 Henry,
- 26 Abdou,
- 09 Marquis,
- 22 N'Guessan
- Birmingham 51%
- Millwall 49%
Attempts on target
- Birmingham 7
- Millwall 8
Attempts off target
- Birmingham 8
- Millwall 5
- Birmingham 9
- Millwall 5
- Birmingham 8
- Millwall 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:19 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:03 Corner taken by Jean Beausejour from the right by-line.
- 90:00+1:03 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by James Henry, clearance made by Marlon King.
- 89:50 Chris Burke provided the assist for the goal.
- 89:50 GOAL - Chris Wood:Birmingham 3 - 0 Millwall Chris Wood scores a headed goal from inside the box. Birmingham 3-0 Millwall.
- 89:31 Tamika Mkandawire produces a cross, Jonathan Spector makes a clearance.
- 89:16 Centre by Alan Dunne, clearance made by Curtis Davies.
- 87:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on John Marquis by Stephen Carr. James Henry produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick, Curtis Davies gets a block in.
- 86:58 The ball is swung over by Tony Craig, clearance by Liam Ridgewell.
- 85:43 Shot on goal by Jean Beausejour from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 84:15 Tamika Mkandawire has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 83:45 Liam Trotter takes a shot. Brilliant save by Boaz Myhill.
- 83:31 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Caldwell on John Marquis. Liam Trotter takes the direct free kick.
- 81:36 Jonathan Spector takes a shot. Blocked by Paul Robinson.
- 79:13 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jean Beausejour.
- 77:34 Boaz Myhill restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:34 Substitution Wade Elliott comes on in place of Morgaro Gomis.
- 77:34 Tony Craig gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Chris Burke.
- 72:23 Effort from long distance by Jonathan Spector goes wide right of the target.
- 71:30 Substitution John Marquis joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jay Simpson.
- 71:19 Dany N'Guessan crosses the ball.
- 70:01 Liam Ridgewell sends in a cross.
- 68:16 Jay Simpson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the target.
- 67:25 Inswinging corner taken by Jean Beausejour from the right by-line, Curtis Davies takes a shot.
- 66:11 Inswinging corner taken by James Henry, Chris Wood manages to make a clearance.
- 63:27 Tamika Mkandawire takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 63:27 Substitution Marlon King is brought on as a substitute for Adam Rooney.
- 61:36 Assist by Adam Rooney.
- 61:36 GOAL - Chris Wood:Birmingham 2 - 0 Millwall A goal is scored by Chris Wood from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Birmingham 2-0 Millwall.
- 60:28 Substitution (Millwall) makes a substitution, with Dany N'Guessan coming on for Liam Feeney.
- 60:28 Substitution Hamer Bouazza leaves the field to be replaced by James Henry.
- 58:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Wood by Liam Trotter. Free kick taken by Jean Beausejour. Chris Burke delivers the ball, clearance made by Paul Robinson.
- 55:56 The ball is swung over by Jean Beausejour, Liam Ridgewell takes a shot. Save by David Forde. Jean Beausejour takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 54:48 Chris Burke takes a shot. Tony Craig gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken by Jean Beausejour from the left by-line, clearance made by Paul Robinson. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Jean Beausejour from the right by-line, Darren Ward manages to make a clearance.
- 53:43 Hamer Bouazza gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen Carr. Boaz Myhill restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:03 Darius Henderson is caught offside. Boaz Myhill restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:12 Hamer Bouazza takes a corner.
- 50:26 Jean Beausejour delivers the ball.
- 48:58 Outswinging corner taken by Jean Beausejour, David Forde makes a clearance.
- 48:11 Hamer Bouazza is caught offside. Boaz Myhill takes the free kick.
- 46:52 Jay Simpson takes a shot. Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:07 The first half comes to an end.
- 44:18 The free kick is delivered right-footed by Jean Beausejour from right channel, Darren Ward makes a clearance.
- 44:18 Booking Jean Beausejour booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 43:37 Liam Trotter challenges Jonathan Spector unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 42:39 Chris Burke produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses left.
- 42:10 Jay Simpson takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 41:23 Darren Ward fouled by Chris Wood, the ref awards a free kick. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:42 Liam Trotter produces a cross.
- 38:02 Corner taken left-footed by Jean Beausejour from the left by-line, Headed effort from deep inside the area by Curtis Davies misses to the right of the target.
- 37:20 The ball is swung over by Jean Beausejour.
- 36:32 Foul by Morgaro Gomis on Liam Trotter, free kick awarded. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:35 Liam Feeney delivers the ball, Liam Trotter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Morgaro Gomis. Boaz Myhill takes the free kick.
- 33:52 Corner taken by Liam Feeney from the right by-line, Liam Ridgewell manages to make a clearance.
- 31:37 Stephen Carr concedes a free kick for a foul on Hamer Bouazza. Liam Feeney delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing. Unfair challenge on Adam Rooney by Paul Robinson results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 30:19 The assistant referee signals for offside against Chris Wood. David Forde takes the indirect free kick.
- 29:27 Foul by Hamer Bouazza on Jonathan Spector, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Boaz Myhill.
- 28:20 The assist for the goal came from Jean Beausejour.
- 28:20 GOAL - Chris Wood:Birmingham 1 - 0 Millwall Chris Wood finds the net with a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Birmingham 1-0 Millwall.
- 24:52 Darius Henderson takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 24:08 Shot from outside the area by Chris Burke misses to the left of the target.
- 23:17 Shot from just outside the box by Liam Trotter goes over the crossbar.
- 22:47 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 22:02 Jean Beausejour is caught offside. David Forde takes the indirect free kick.
- 20:25 Inswinging corner taken by Jean Beausejour, save by David Forde.
- 19:15 The ball is crossed by Liam Feeney.
- 18:38 Liam Feeney takes a shot. Save by Boaz Myhill.
- 17:56 The referee blows for offside against Darius Henderson. Liam Ridgewell takes the free kick.
- 16:35 Effort on goal by Adam Rooney from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 14:34 Direct free kick taken by Stephen Carr.
- 14:34 Booking The referee shows Liam Feeney a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 14:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Liam Feeney on Chris Burke.
- 13:43 The ball is delivered by Alan Dunne.
- 11:53 Unfair challenge on Darius Henderson by Stephen Carr results in a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Liam Feeney, clearance made by Jean Beausejour. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Liam Feeney, Darius Henderson produces a header from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.
- 11:28 Foul by Chris Burke on Tony Craig, free kick awarded. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:22 Darius Henderson is caught offside. Boaz Myhill takes the free kick.
- 7:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alan Dunne on Jean Beausejour. Jean Beausejour sends in a cross, Adam Rooney has a header from inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 6:43 Hamer Bouazza has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 4:51 Adam Rooney is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by David Forde.
- 1:08 Curtis Davies concedes a free kick for a foul on Darius Henderson. Hamer Bouazza produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, Boaz Myhill makes a save.
- 0:26 Jay Simpson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Caldwell. Curtis Davies restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:06 Chris Wood takes a shot. Save by David Forde.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot
11 September 11Football