West Ham 4 - 3 Portsmouth
Page last updated at 17:28 GMT, Saturday, 10 September 2011 18:28 UK
West Ham won their first home game in six months after Portsmouth's Liam Lawrence was sent off.
The visitors led through a deflected Luke Varney effort but Matthew Taylor equalised with a free-kick.
Debutant Henri Lansbury put West Ham ahead before David Norris levelled. Lawrence then received a second yellow.
Mark Noble's penalty and Carlton Cole's header made it 4-2 before West Ham's Frederic Piquionne was sent off late on and Greg Halford scored a penalty.
It was West Ham's first game since the departure of Scott Parker to Tottenham on transfer deadline day and Sam Allardyce's men responded with a spirited performance in which Lansbury and goalkeeper Robert Green shone.
As well as giving Lansbury his West Ham debut, Allardyce named fellow new boys David Bentley and Sam Baldock on the bench.
But Portsmouth made the first impact in the eighth-minute as Varney's wayward effort from Lawrence's corner deflected in off Cole.
Just one minute later, West Ham were on level terms as Jason Pearce upended Cole on the edge of the box, allowing Taylor to curl in a free-kick with the help of a slight deflection.
West Ham looked invigorated by the equaliser and began dominating. Portsmouth had chances at the end of the first half though, as Green saved from a Pearce header and then brilliantly kept out Erik Huseklepp's low drive.
Green's hard work looked to have paid dividends eight minutes into the second half when Lansbury pounced on a loose ball in the box to fire a low shot that just bobbled over the line after taking a deflection off the underside of Pearce.
Portsmouth, though, returned to the attack undeterred and equalised through a Norris header that looked to have crossed the line before Benjani made sure with a header of his own.
The visitors continued to press but were reduced to 10 men in the 67th minute when Lawrence received a second yellow card for a lunge at substitute Bentley.
Six minutes later Lansbury earned the home side a penalty by flicking the ball into Pearce's hand, allowing Noble to strike home from the spot.
And West Ham wrapped up the victory in the 76th minute when Taylor fired in a superb ball that Cole managed to head home.
In stoppage time, substitute Piquionne was red-carded against his former club for raising his hands to Halford. It was Halford who then scored Portsmouth's consolation from the spot after Tal Ben Haim had been fouled.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 September 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Green
- 02 Reid
- 03 McCartney
- 05 Tomkins
- 17 O'Brien yellow card
- 18 Faubert (Bentley 63)
- 04 Nolan yellow card
- 14 Taylor
- 16 Noble
- 22 Lansbury
- 09 Cole (Piquionne 85 red card)
- 31 Boffin,
- 15 Faye,
- 08 Bentley,
- 07 Baldock,
- 30 Piquionne
- 01 Ashdown
- 05 Pearce
- 15 Halford
- 26 Ben-Haim
- 04 Mokoena yellow card
- 07 Lawrence two yellow cards, red card
- 08 Mullins yellow card
- 10 Huseklepp (Ward 78)
- 19 Norris
- 11 Varney yellow card
- 25 Mwaruwari (Futacs 83)
- 13 Henderson,
- 02 Ward,
- 03 Rocha,
- 09 Futacs,
- 27 Kanu
- West Ham 56%
- Portsmouth 44%
Attempts on target
- West Ham 6
- Portsmouth 7
Attempts off target
- West Ham 5
- Portsmouth 5
- West Ham 4
- Portsmouth 4
- West Ham 10
- Portsmouth 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+7:01 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+6:26 Tal Ben-Haim provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+6:26 GOAL - Greg Halford:West Ham 4 - 3 Portsmouth Placed penalty scored by Greg Halford. West Ham 4-3 Portsmouth.
- 90:00+5:19 Penalty awarded for a foul by Mark Noble on Tal Ben-Haim.
- 90:00+3:57 Sent off Frederic Piquionne receives a red card.
- 90:00+3:37 Henri Lansbury produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 90:00+3:02 Short corner taken by David Bentley from the left by-line.
- 90:00+1:36 Effort on goal by Joel Ward from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 90:00+0:54 Winston Reid challenges Joel Ward unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Greg Halford, save made by Robert Green.
- 89:17 Frederic Piquionne has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses right.
- 88:37 Tal Ben-Haim concedes a free kick for a foul on Frederic Piquionne. David Bentley restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Luke Varney on Joey O'Brien. Free kick taken by James Tomkins.
- 84:23 Robert Green restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:23 Substitution (West Ham) makes a substitution, with Frederic Piquionne coming on for Carlton Cole.
- 84:23 The referee blows for offside.
- 82:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marko Futacs by James Tomkins. Hayden Mullins takes the free kick.
- 82:04 Substitution Marko Futacs joins the action as a substitute, replacing Benjani Mwaruwari.
- 82:04 David Bentley takes a shot from 35 yards clearing the goal.
- 78:46 Luke Varney gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James Tomkins. Free kick taken by Robert Green.
- 77:49 Free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 77:49 Substitution Joel Ward replaces Erik Huseklepp.
- 77:49 The referee blows for offside against Carlton Cole.
- 75:51 Assist on the goal came from Matthew Taylor.
- 75:51 GOAL - Carlton Cole:West Ham 4 - 2 Portsmouth Carlton Cole finds the net with a headed goal from close range. West Ham 4-2 Portsmouth.
- 73:34 Carlton Cole has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 71:46 GOAL - Mark Noble:West Ham 3 - 2 Portsmouth Penalty taken right-footed by Mark Noble and scored. West Ham 3-2 Portsmouth.
- 69:47 The referee penalises Jason Pearce for handball.
- 66:51 Shot comes in from Matthew Taylor from the free kick.
- 66:51 Sent off Liam Lawrence sent off.
- 66:39 Liam Lawrence concedes a free kick for a foul on David Bentley.
- 63:31 Shot on goal by Hayden Mullins from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 62:50 Substitution David Bentley joins the action as a substitute, replacing Julien Faubert.
- 59:16 Assist on the goal came from Erik Huseklepp.
- 59:16 GOAL - David Norris:West Ham 2 - 2 Portsmouth David Norris grabs a headed goal from close in. West Ham 2-2 Portsmouth.
- 58:43 Benjani Mwaruwari challenges Winston Reid unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Tomkins.
- 56:56 Robert Green takes the direct free kick.
- 56:56 Booking Hayden Mullins is booked.
- 56:51 Foul by Hayden Mullins on Julien Faubert, free kick awarded.
- 56:28 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Liam Lawrence from the right by-line, clearance made by James Tomkins.
- 56:08 Luke Varney takes a shot. Save by Robert Green.
- 54:55 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 54:06 The official flags Benjani Mwaruwari offside. Indirect free kick taken by Robert Green.
- 52:10 GOAL - Henri Lansbury:West Ham 2 - 1 Portsmouth Goal scored by Henri Lansbury from inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. West Ham 2-1 Portsmouth.
- 47:40 Jason Pearce restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:40 Booking Kevin Nolan goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 47:03 Luke Varney fouled by Kevin Nolan, the ref awards a free kick.
- 45:51 Corner taken by Matthew Taylor.
- 45:22 Corner taken left-footed by Matthew Taylor from the left by-line to the near post, clearance made by Jason Pearce.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:09 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+2:07 Jason Pearce challenges Robert Green unfairly and gives away a free kick. Robert Green takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+1:37 Foul by Winston Reid on Erik Huseklepp, free kick awarded. Greg Halford takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:26 Benjani Mwaruwari takes a shot. Blocked by James Tomkins. Effort on goal by Luke Varney from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 44:41 Julien Faubert is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 44:22 The official flags Carlton Cole offside. Indirect free kick taken by Jamie Ashdown.
- 43:11 Erik Huseklepp takes a shot. Save by Robert Green.
- 42:39 Kevin Nolan takes a shot. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 41:55 Liam Lawrence takes a shot from 35 yards and went wide right of the target.
- 40:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by David Norris on Mark Noble. Shot comes in from Matthew Taylor from the free kick.
- 39:33 Robert Green takes the direct free kick.
- 39:33 Booking Booking for Luke Varney for unsporting behaviour.
- 39:17 Benjani Mwaruwari challenges James Tomkins unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 37:57 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Liam Lawrence, Jason Pearce takes a shot. Robert Green makes a save.
- 36:04 Effort from just outside the area by David Norris goes over the target.
- 33:09 Foul by Carlton Cole on Aaron Mokoena, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Greg Halford.
- 26:40 Booking Caution for Liam Lawrence.
- 23:46 Corner from left by-line taken by Matthew Taylor.
- 20:43 Luke Varney challenges Mark Noble unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by James Tomkins.
- 19:19 Booking Caution for Aaron Mokoena.
- 18:34 Carlton Cole takes a shot. Save by Jamie Ashdown.
- 13:58 Free kick taken by Jason Pearce.
- 13:58 Booking Joey O'Brien booked.
- 13:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tal Ben-Haim by Joey O'Brien.
- 8:55 GOAL - Matthew Taylor:West Ham 1 - 1 Portsmouth Matthew Taylor scores a goal direct from the free kick from outside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Ham 1-1 Portsmouth.
- 8:45 Unfair challenge on Carlton Cole by Jason Pearce results in a free kick.
- 7:40 Assist by Liam Lawrence.
- 7:40 GOAL - Luke Varney:West Ham 0 - 1 Portsmouth Luke Varney scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Ham 0-1 Portsmouth.
- 6:52 Luke Varney takes a shot. Blocked by James Tomkins. Corner taken by Liam Lawrence,
- 5:46 Corner from the left by-line taken by Liam Lawrence, Kevin Nolan manages to make a clearance.
- 3:59 Unfair challenge on Julien Faubert by David Norris results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Mark Noble.
- 3:37 Henri Lansbury gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tal Ben-Haim. Tal Ben-Haim takes the free kick.
- 2:34 Foul by Carlton Cole on Hayden Mullins, free kick awarded. Jason Pearce restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:38 Henri Lansbury challenges Liam Lawrence unfairly and gives away a free kick. Jamie Ashdown takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Championship table snapshot