Peterborough 7-1 Ipswich
Page last updated at 18:44 GMT, Saturday, 20 August 2011 19:44 UK
Peterborough 7 - 1 Ipswich
Lee Tomlin scored a hat-trick as Peterborough thrashed nine-man Ipswich 7-1 at London Road.
Keith Andrews gave the visitors the lead, but Posh hit back thanks to Tomlin's first two goals and two more from Paul Taylor before half-time.
Lee Martin saw red just before the break, and Tommy Smith was then sent off for a foul which led to Grant McCann making it 5-1 from the spot.
McCann added his second before Tomlin completed the rout late on.
Ipswich led in the 23rd minute when Andrews collected possession and hit a stunning volley into the top corner. But the lead last just seven minutes as Taylor connected with Mark Little's cross and hit a superb 25-yard strike into the top corner.
Ipswich struggled thereafter and found themselves 2-1 down in the 38th minute when Tomlin showed delightful skill before drilling home his first from 12 yards.
And the hosts struck again two minutes later when Taylor swept a right-footed shot into the net - and it soon got worse for Ipswich, and
Peterborough went 4-1 up in the 42nd minute when McCann found Tomlin with a fine pass and the attacking midfielder broke clear to drill a right-foot shot into the net.
The visitors were on the ropes and their frustrations boiled over on the stroke of half-time when Martin caught Little with a late tackle and was promptly shown a red card.
Shortly after the restart, Ipswich substitute Smith fouled Tomlin on the edge of the 18-yard box as he threatened to burst clear.
Referee Graham Scott showed Smith a red card and pointed to the penalty spot, with McCann stepping up to fire home left-footed with a fine spot kick which gave David Stockdale no chance.
Posh claimed number six in the 56th minute when McCann hit a low shot from 12 yards which deflected into the net. There was more misery for Ipswich late on, though, when Tomlin completed his treble with a neat right-footed finish from close range.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 20 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 28 Jones
- 02 Little (Gordon 57)
- 04 Bennett
- 06 Wootton
- 27 Alcock
- 11 McCann
- 14 Rowe
- 23 Frecklington yellow card (Tunnicliffe 62)
- 08 Tomlin yellow card
- 10 Boyd
- 26 Taylor
- 13 Day,
- 18 Gordon,
- 20 Thompson,
- 16 Tunnicliffe,
- 09 Ball
- 13 Stockdale
- 03 Cresswell
- 05 Delaney yellow card
- 22 Carson (Smith 46 red card)
- 29 Ainsley
- 06 Leadbitter yellow card
- 07 Edwards
- 09 Emmanuel-Thomas (Kennedy 54)
- 11 Martin red card
- 15 Andrews
- 10 Chopra (Ellington 71)
- 12 Lee-Barrett,
- 20 Smith,
- 39 Kennedy,
- 14 Scotland,
- 18 Ellington
- Peterborough 90%
- Ipswich 10%
Attempts on target
- Peterborough 14
- Ipswich 3
Attempts off target
- Peterborough 10
- Ipswich 1
- Peterborough 11
- Ipswich 1
- Peterborough 2
- Ipswich 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:52 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+2:33 GOAL - Lee Tomlin:Peterborough 7 - 1 Ipswich Lee Tomlin gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Peterborough 7-1 Ipswich.
- 90:00+0:40 Corner taken by Grant McCann, Lee Tomlin produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 89:04 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Ryan Tunnicliffe misses to the right of the target.
- 88:10 Grant Leadbitter takes a shot. Ryan Bennett gets a block in.
- 79:31 Ryan Tunnicliffe produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 77:21 Grant McCann is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Indirect free kick taken by David Stockdale.
- 76:20 Keith Andrews has a lobbed shot. Save by Paul Jones.
- 74:50 George Boyd is caught offside. David Stockdale takes the direct free kick.
- 73:41 Ryan Tunnicliffe takes a shot.
- 70:16 Substitution Nathan Ellington on for Michael Chopra.
- 68:46 Corner from right by-line taken by Grant Leadbitter.
- 66:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Keith Andrews on George Boyd. Grant McCann has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, save by David Stockdale.
- 65:05 Craig Alcock takes a shot. David Stockdale makes a save.
- 64:41 Corner taken by Grant McCann from the left by-line, Aaron Cresswell manages to make a clearance.
- 63:59 Corner from left by-line taken by Grant McCann.
- 63:37 George Boyd takes a shot. David Stockdale makes a save.
- 61:56 Inswinging corner taken by Grant McCann from the right by-line, George Boyd has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 61:16 Substitution Lee Frecklington leaves the field to be replaced by Ryan Tunnicliffe.
- 61:02 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Grant McCann, Jack Ainsley makes a clearance.
- 60:38 Scott Wootton takes a shot. Save made by David Stockdale.
- 59:56 George Boyd takes a shot.
- 58:00 Grant McCann takes a shot. David Stockdale makes a save.
- 57:17 Grant McCann takes a outswinging corner.
- 56:58 George Boyd takes a shot. Brilliant save by David Stockdale.
- 56:14 Substitution (Peterborough) makes a substitution, with Ben Gordon coming on for Mark Little.
- 55:12 GOAL - Grant McCann:Peterborough 6 - 1 Ipswich Goal scored by Grant McCann from inside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Peterborough 6-1 Ipswich.
- 53:38 Substitution Mark Kennedy is brought on as a substitute for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
- 53:09 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Paul Taylor from the right by-line, Grant McCann has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 52:16 Free kick taken by Grant Leadbitter.
- 52:16 Booking The referee shows Damien Delaney a yellow card.
- 51:56 Booking Lee Frecklington is shown a yellow card.
- 51:16 Unfair challenge on Damien Delaney by Lee Frecklington results in a free kick.
- 49:13 Corner taken by Grant McCann.
- 47:52 Assist on the goal came from Lee Tomlin.
- 47:45 GOAL - Grant McCann:Peterborough 5 - 1 Ipswich Grant McCann scores a power penalty. Peterborough 5-1 Ipswich.
- 46:12 Sent off Tommy Smith shown a red card for professional foul.
- 45:39 Mark Little takes a shot. Save by David Stockdale.
- 45:16 Unfair challenge on Lee Tomlin by Tommy Smith results in a Penalty.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- 45:01 Substitution Josh Carson leaves the field to be replaced by Tommy Smith.
- Half Time
- 45:00+4:07 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+2:29 The referee blows for offside against Tommy Rowe. David Stockdale takes the free kick.
- 45:00+1:49 Corner taken right-footed by Grant McCann.
- 45:00+1:11 The offside flag is raised against Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. Paul Jones takes the free kick.
- 45:00+0:56 The assistant referee flags for offside against Tommy Rowe. David Stockdale takes the indirect free kick.
- 44:24 Grant McCann restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:24 Sent off Lee Martin sent from the field by the ref for violent conduct.
- 43:51 Lee Martin concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Little.
- 42:56 Booking Lee Tomlin is booked.
- 41:01 Assist on the goal came from Grant McCann.
- 41:01 GOAL - Lee Tomlin:Peterborough 4 - 1 Ipswich Lee Tomlin finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Peterborough 4-1 Ipswich.
- 39:25 GOAL - Paul Taylor:Peterborough 3 - 1 Ipswich Paul Taylor grabs a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Peterborough 3-1 Ipswich.
- 38:49 The assistant referee signals for offside against Paul Taylor. Aaron Cresswell takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:19 GOAL - Lee Tomlin:Peterborough 2 - 1 Ipswich Lee Tomlin grabs a goal from inside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Peterborough 2-1 Ipswich.
- 34:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on George Boyd by Michael Chopra. Scott Wootton takes the free kick.
- 32:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Alcock by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. Lee Frecklington restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:29 The assistant referee flags for offside against Lee Tomlin. David Stockdale restarts play with the free kick.
- 29:35 Assist on the goal came from Mark Little.
- 29:35 GOAL - Paul Taylor:Peterborough 1 - 1 Ipswich Paul Taylor grabs a goal from outside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Peterborough 1-1 Ipswich.
- 27:58 The official flags Mark Little offside. David Stockdale takes the free kick.
- 25:55 Paul Taylor has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 23:36 Unfair challenge on George Boyd by Grant Leadbitter results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Scott Wootton.
- 22:32 GOAL - Keith Andrews:Peterborough 0 - 1 Ipswich Keith Andrews finds the net with a goal from long distance to the top left corner of the goal. Peterborough 0-1 Ipswich.
- 17:59 Corner from right by-line taken by Grant McCann.
- 17:03 Lee Martin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on George Boyd. Free kick taken by George Boyd.
- 16:50 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas challenges Craig Alcock unfairly and gives away a free kick. Craig Alcock takes the direct free kick.
- 15:16 Effort from the edge of the box by Grant McCann goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 11:34 George Boyd challenges Keith Andrews unfairly and gives away a free kick. Grant Leadbitter restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:31 Effort from inside the area by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas misses to the right of the goal.
- 7:28 Grant McCann takes the free kick.
- 7:28 Booking Grant Leadbitter goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 6:59 Lee Frecklington fouled by Grant Leadbitter, the ref awards a free kick.
- 5:46 The referee blows for offside against Lee Tomlin. David Stockdale takes the free kick.
- 5:01 Grant McCann takes the inswinging corner, Scott Wootton takes a shot. Save made by David Stockdale.
- 4:48 Effort on goal by Grant McCann from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 3:40 Carlos Edwards challenges Lee Tomlin unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Grant McCann.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower Championship results
Npower Championship table snapshot