Swansea 3-1 Nott'm Forest (3-1)
Page last updated at 20:44 GMT, Monday, 16 May 2011 21:44 UK
Swansea moved a step closer to ending their 28-year top-flight exile after beating Nottingham Forest for a place in the Championship play-off final.
Forest's David McGoldrick hit the bar before the hosts responded when Fabio Borini struck the woodwork.
Leon Britton curled the Swans into the lead with a 25-yard shot before Stephen Dobbie added a second with a low drive.
Forest substitute Rob Earnshaw netted late on but Darren Pratley's long range injury-time strike sealed the win.
Swansea will face the winners of the semi-final between Cardiff and Reading, who play on Tuesday, at Wembley on 30 May for a place in the Premier League, said to be worth about £90m.
Forest, who also had two penalty appeals turned down, continued their play-off hoodoo and have now failed to grace a final in four attempts.
Swansea had earned plaudits since their 10 men held a dominant Forest to a goalless draw in the play-off first-leg at the City Ground after Neil Taylor's first-minute dismissal.
Dobbie, Borini and Nathan Dyer had early sights of goal in this second-leg but Forest gave the Swans, who had the Championship's best home record, a warning that this tie was not the foregone conclusion some had predicted.
The recalled Nathan Tyson broke on a swift counter from a Swansea corner to set up McGoldrick whose shot cracked Dorus de Vries' crossbar.
Wes Morgan and McGoldrick then tested Swans goalkeeper de Vries with free headers as the visitors - managed by Billy Davies - threatened to spoil the Liberty Stadium party.
Angel Rangel, however, should have broken the deadlock when the Swansea right-back ran on to Dobbie's cute pass into the box but the Spaniard's chip over onrushing keeper Lee Camp trickled wide.
While Swansea dominated possession, the visitors enjoyed the better goal chances early on and McGoldrick had a penalty appeal rejected by referee Andre Mariner when Alan Tate seemingly tugged the Forest midfielder's shirt.
But Borini, who passed a pre-match fitness test on a hamstring injury, gave Camp a taste of what was to come when the Italy under-21 striker hit the bar after his 20-yard strike was deflected by Morgan.
And Britton's 25-yard stunner was a fitting way to score the first goal of the 2011 Championship play-offs.
The Swans midfielder stole a yard from Marcus Tudgay just before the half-hour mark to curl a beautiful left-footed strike into Camp's far corner from the right-hand edge of the Forest box.
Britton, who was at Swansea when the club survived relegation from the Football League at the end of the 2001-02 season, had not scored in the league since October 2006 before netting against Sheffield United on the final day of the regular campaign.
But his second goal in three games was the catalyst for the Liberty Stadium's most memorable night.
Davies' shellshocked side conceded a second within five minutes as Dobbie, whose goal helped Blackpool beat Forest in last season's play-off semi-final, fired in the home side's second.
The Scot played a one-two with Dyer on the right before sprinting inside, skipping past Guy Moussie and Lee Chambers and firing home his 10th of the season with a sweet low, left-foot shot past Camp from 20 yards.
PAUL FLETCHER BLOGContinue reading the main story
Read more of Paul's thoughts
This was the type of game that reminded me why I fell in love with football in the first place
The visiting keeper, though, had to be at his alert best when Borini's low, angled close-range drive was arrowing into the net but Camp made a superb reaction save at his near post.
And Forest squandered chances to drag themselves back into this tie as Tudgay blasted over after Tyson's incisive low cutback found his strike partner in space inside the Swans box.
McGugan then rattled the Swansea crossbar with a fierce 20-yard free-kick after Garry Monk was penalised for a push on Tudgay on the edge of the area.
But Pratley should have settled the tie moments after coming on as a substitute halfway through the second half but his free header from Scott Sinclair's inswinging left-wing cross went wide.
Borini also had chances but Forest's Wales international Earnshaw ensured a tense final 12 minutes by drilling home a defence-splitting Radoslaw Majewski pass by the near post just two minutes after coming on as a substitute.
The former Cardiff striker then struck de Vries' far post with a low, angled drive before he had a penalty appeal waved away by Marriner when his shot looked to hit the arm of Ashley Williams.
And Camp went up for an injury-time corner as Davies's men pressed for a leveller but Swansea broke to score the clinching goal to send the home faithful into ecstasy.
Pratley raced clear to shoot into an empty Forest net from just inside his own half to secure the Swans their third Wembley visit and first under Brendan Rodgers in his first full season in the Liberty hotseat.
Live text and stats
Monday, 16 May 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 2-0)(agg 3-1)|
- 01 De Vries
- 02 Williams
- 05 Tate
- 16 Monk
- 22 Rangel
- 12 Dyer
- 21 Sinclair (Serran 88)
- 24 Allen (Moore 84)
- 37 Britton
- 14 Dobbie (Pratley 59 yellow card)
- 15 Borini
- 25 Ma-Kalambay,
- 17 Serran,
- 08 Pratley,
- 10 Orlandi,
- 27 Gower,
- 09 Beattie,
- 19 Moore
- 01 Camp
- 04 Chambers
- 05 Morgan
- 16 Gunter yellow card
- 27 Moloney
- 08 McGugan
- 15 Cohen
- 19 Moussi
- 11 Tyson (Majewski 62)
- 17 McGoldrick (Earnshaw 78)
- 20 Tudgay (Boyd 68)
- 21 Smith,
- 33 Lynch,
- 07 Anderson,
- 18 McKenna,
- 28 Majewski,
- 10 Earnshaw,
- 22 Boyd
- Swansea 59%
- Nott'm Forest 41%
Attempts on target
- Swansea 9
- Nott'm Forest 5
Attempts off target
- Swansea 4
- Nott'm Forest 6
- Swansea 7
- Nott'm Forest 6
- Swansea 9
- Nott'm Forest 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:16 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:58 Luke Moore fouled by Guy Moussi, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Fabio Borini.
- 90:00+4:17 Booking Darren Pratley goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+2:09 The assist for the goal came from Dorus De Vries.
- 90:00+2:09 GOAL - Darren Pratley:Swansea 3 - 1 Nott'm Forest Darren Pratley grabs a goal from long range low into the middle of the goal. Swansea 3 (3)-(1) 1 Nottm Forest.
- 90:00+2:01 Inswinging corner taken by Chris Cohen from the right by-line, save by Dorus De Vries.
- 90:00+1:38 Chris Cohen crosses the ball, Robert Earnshaw takes a shot. Blocked by Ashley Williams. Save by Dorus De Vries.
- 90:00+0:44 Robert Earnshaw sends in a cross, clearance by Angel Rangel. Inswinging corner taken by Lewis McGugan, Dorus De Vries makes a save.
- 90:00+0:10 Shot by Robert Earnshaw from inside the box bounces off the post.
- 87:47 Substitution Albert Serran replaces Scott Sinclair.
- 87:16 Fabio Borini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Chris Cohen. Chris Cohen restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:15 Foul by Nathan Dyer on Chris Gunter, free kick awarded. Radoslaw Majewski restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:33 Radoslaw Majewski has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 84:44 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Garry Monk by Kris Boyd. Dorus De Vries takes the free kick.
- 83:05 Substitution Joe Allen leaves the field to be replaced by Luke Moore.
- 82:44 The ball is delivered by Chris Gunter.
- 82:05 Darren Pratley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Robert Earnshaw. Direct free kick taken by Luke Chambers.
- 80:41 Corner taken by Joe Allen from the right by-line, clearance made by Chris Gunter.
- 80:34 The ball is delivered by Nathan Dyer, clearance made by Wes Morgan.
- 79:18 Assist by Radoslaw Majewski.
- 79:18 GOAL - Robert Earnshaw:Swansea 2 - 1 Nott'm Forest Robert Earnshaw finds the net with a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Swansea 2 (2)-(1) 1 Nottm Forest.
- 78:56 The ball is delivered by Radoslaw Majewski, save by Dorus De Vries.
- 77:10 Substitution David McGoldrick leaves the field to be replaced by Robert Earnshaw.
- 76:56 Fabio Borini has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 76:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fabio Borini by Chris Gunter. Free kick crossed by Joe Allen.
- 75:24 Short corner taken by Joe Allen.
- 74:42 The ball is swung over by Chris Gunter.
- 73:44 Scott Sinclair has an effort at goal from 12 yards. Lee Camp makes a save.
- 73:00 Effort from 20 yards by Scott Sinclair. Lee Camp makes a save.
- 71:19 David McGoldrick sends in a cross.
- 70:48 Radoslaw Majewski takes a shot. Ashley Williams gets a block in.
- 70:14 The assistant referee signals for offside against Scott Sinclair. Free kick taken by Luke Chambers.
- 69:55 Centre by Brendan Moloney, save by Dorus De Vries.
- 68:58 Lewis McGugan is penalised for a handball. Dorus De Vries restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:30 Substitution (Nottm Forest) makes a substitution, with Kris Boyd coming on for Marcus Tudgay.
- 66:14 Joe Allen takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Chris Gunter manages to make a clearance.
- 65:19 Chris Gunter fouled by Nathan Dyer, the ref awards a free kick. Luke Chambers takes the free kick.
- 62:35 Unfair challenge on David McGoldrick by Garry Monk results in a free kick. Lewis McGugan takes the direct free kick.
- 61:24 Substitution (Nottm Forest) makes a substitution, with Radoslaw Majewski coming on for Nathan Tyson.
- 61:24 The ball is delivered by Scott Sinclair, Header from close in by Darren Pratley misses to the left of the target.
- 60:34 A cross is delivered by Angel Rangel, clearance by Wes Morgan.
- 58:35 Substitution Darren Pratley is brought on as a substitute for Stephen Dobbie.
- 58:25 Marcus Tudgay crosses the ball.
- 57:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Garry Monk on Nathan Tyson. Lewis McGugan shoots direct from the free kick,
- 52:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by David McGoldrick on Stephen Dobbie. Direct free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 49:12 Nathan Tyson crosses the ball, Shot from deep inside the area by Marcus Tudgay goes over the bar.
- 47:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marcus Tudgay on Leon Britton. Ashley Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 45:54 Unfair challenge on Joe Allen by David McGoldrick results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:05 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+1:43 Chris Cohen challenges Leon Britton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Garry Monk restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:26 Fabio Borini has an effort at goal. Lee Camp makes a save. Outswinging corner taken by Stephen Dobbie, save by Lee Camp.
- 38:31 The official flags Scott Sinclair offside. Indirect free kick taken by Lee Camp.
- 36:43 Marcus Tudgay concedes a free kick for a foul on Alan Tate. Free kick taken by Alan Tate.
- 34:29 The ball is delivered by Fabio Borini.
- 33:37 A cross is delivered by Lewis McGugan.
- 32:28 Assist on the goal came from Nathan Dyer.
- 32:28 GOAL - Stephen Dobbie:Swansea 2 - 0 Nott'm Forest Stephen Dobbie finds the back of the net with a goal from just inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Swansea 2 (2)-(0) 0 Nottm Forest.
- 31:16 Scott Sinclair fouled by Guy Moussi, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Stephen Dobbie from left wing, clearance made by David McGoldrick.
- 30:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by David McGoldrick on Leon Britton. Leon Britton takes the direct free kick.
- 29:19 Corner from the right by-line taken by Chris Cohen, save by Dorus De Vries.
- 29:03 Chris Cohen takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by Angel Rangel.
- 27:54 Stephen Dobbie provided the assist for the goal.
- 27:54 GOAL - Leon Britton:Swansea 1 - 0 Nott'm Forest Leon Britton finds the net with a goal from just outside the penalty box to the top left corner of the goal. Swansea 1 (1)-(0) 0 Nottm Forest.
- 27:12 Corner taken short by Stephen Dobbie.
- 26:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alan Tate by Nathan Tyson. Ashley Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 25:59 Angel Rangel sends in a cross.
- 24:59 Angel Rangel restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:59 Booking Chris Gunter is given a yellow card.
- 24:52 Chris Gunter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton.
- 23:31 Unfair challenge on Leon Britton by Marcus Tudgay results in a free kick. Dorus De Vries takes the direct free kick.
- 21:59 Alan Tate concedes a free kick for a foul on Brendan Moloney. Chris Cohen delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, Dorus De Vries makes a save.
- 21:33 The ball is sent over by Brendan Moloney, Garry Monk makes a clearance.
- 20:07 Shot by Lewis McGugan. Dorus De Vries makes a save.
- 18:14 Chris Gunter fouled by Fabio Borini, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Lee Camp.
- 17:53 Fabio Borini takes a shot.
- 16:16 The ball is delivered by Scott Sinclair, save made by Lee Camp.
- 15:40 Angel Rangel takes a shot.
- 15:07 Marcus Tudgay challenges Alan Tate unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stephen Dobbie takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 14:07 Angel Rangel challenges Marcus Tudgay unfairly and gives away a free kick. Lewis McGugan sends in a cross, David McGoldrick takes a shot. Save made by Dorus De Vries.
- 14:07 Marcus Tudgay fouled by Angel Rangel, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Lewis McGugan, David McGoldrick takes a shot. Save by Dorus De Vries.
- 12:27 The ball is delivered by Scott Sinclair.
- 11:33 Corner taken right-footed by Lewis McGugan from the left by-line to the near post, Alan Tate manages to make a clearance.
- 8:06 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Chris Cohen from the right by-line, Wes Morgan has a headed effort from close in and clears the bar.
- 7:32 The ball is swung over by Scott Sinclair, Lee Camp makes a save.
- 4:42 David McGoldrick takes a shot.
- 3:53 Nathan Dyer takes a shot. Wes Morgan gets a block in. Corner taken right-footed by Stephen Dobbie, clearance by Brendan Moloney.
- 2:53 Fabio Borini takes a shot. Luke Chambers gets a block in.
- 2:35 Nathan Dyer takes a shot. Wes Morgan gets a block in.
- 0:57 Centre by Lewis McGugan.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Swansea 3 - 1 Nott'm Forest (agg 3 - 1)
Npower Championship results
- Swansea3-1Nott'm ForestFT (agg 3-1)
Npower Championship table snapshot