Swansea 4-0 Sheffield Utd
Page last updated at 13:39 GMT, Saturday, 7 May 2011 14:39 UK
Stephen Dobbie struck twice as Swansea hammered relegated Sheffield United to clinch third place and book a play-off meeting with Nottingham Forest.
Dobbie opened with a sweetly-struck free-kick from an acute angle after Matthew Lowton fouled Scott Sinclair.
Sinclair doubled the lead from the spot after Shane Lowry saw red for handling the striker's shot on the line.
Dobbie struck again from the edge of the box, while Leon Britton grabbed a late fourth.
Swansea's play-off fate was only confirmed an hour before kick-off when a regulatory commission found champions Queens Park Rangers guilty of two FA charges over the signing of midfielder Alejandro Faurlin.
The ruling that no points would be deducted put an end to hopes of Swansea going up automatically.
Had QPR lost points, the victory of Sheffield United would have sent the Swans up and the club is considering a response to the ruling.
So they were left to battle it out with rivals Cardiff City for third place and the Swans' win, coupled with Cardiff drawing at Burnley, meant they claimed that spot to set up a meeting with sixth-placed Forest in the play-off semi-finals.
Victory rarely looked in doubt and the Swans were almost ahead in a little over a minute when Dobbie picked up on a deflected pass and drilled straight at George Long, but the 17-year-old debutant saved well.
The home side dominated but already-relegated Sheffield United had no intention of going down with a whimper.
And on 13 minutes, Michael Doyle fizzled a shot just wide of the right-hand post. Soon after though, it was the Swans who were again on the attack.
First, Dobbie put in a low cross from which Sinclair saw two attempts blocked before Nathan Dyer fired over.
Then Fabio Borini squared from the right to player-of-the-year Dyer whose six-yard effort was saved superbly at point-blank range by Long.
United gave the Swans another scare midway through the first-half when Stephen Quinn ran at the home defence before finding Williamson free in space to shoot but Dorus de Vries got a hand to it.
The breakthrough came on the half-hour when Lowton hacked down Sinclair just outside the box, which Dobbie rifled the resulting free-kick from an acute angle.
Sinclair almost doubled the lead moments later with a silky run into the box and it was only the legs of Long that kept him at bay,
But Long could do nothing 10 minutes after the restart to keep out Sinclair who converted from the spot after Lowry saw red for handling the Swans' top scorer's original effort on the line.
Sinclair stepped up to calmly put the ball beyond Long for his 24th goal of the season.
It was harsh on youngster Long who found himself picking the ball out of the net again moments later as Dobbie blasted his ninth goal of the season.
And to rub salt into United's wounds, Britton who signed for the Blades in the summer before returning to south Wales seven months later, claimed his first goal of the season in the final minute.
Swansea 4 - 0 Sheffield Utd
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 May 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 De Vries
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor
- 05 Tate (Monk 63)
- 22 Rangel
- 12 Dyer (Lucas 67)
- 21 Sinclair
- 24 Allen (Gower 63)
- 37 Britton
- 14 Dobbie
- 15 Borini
- 25 Ma-Kalambay,
- 16 Monk,
- 08 Pratley,
- 10 Orlandi,
- 27 Gower,
- 31 Lucas,
- 19 Moore
- 25 Long
- 20 Mattock (Kennedy 56)
- 21 Lowry red card
- 22 Kozluk yellow card
- 34 Lowton
- 40 Maguire
- 04 Montgomery yellow card (Harriott 72)
- 08 Doyle
- 14 Williamson yellow card
- 28 Quinn
- 35 Slew (Philliskirk 61)
- 13 Aksalu,
- 41 Kennedy,
- 42 Warren,
- 19 Tonne,
- 27 Philliskirk,
- 36 Harriott,
- 43 Lukberg
- Swansea 61%
- Sheffield Utd 39%
Attempts on target
- Swansea 10
- Sheffield Utd 1
Attempts off target
- Swansea 8
- Sheffield Utd 2
- Swansea 5
- Sheffield Utd 1
- Swansea 7
- Sheffield Utd 10
- Final Result
- 93:00 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- Full Time
- 89:11 The assist for the goal came from Fabio Borini.
- 89:11 GOAL - Leon Britton:Swansea 4 - 0 Sheffield Utd Leon Britton finds the net with a goal from just outside the area low into the middle of the goal. Swansea 4-0 Sheff Utd.
- 86:39 Effort on goal by Stephen Dobbie from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 84:56 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Blocked by Harry Maguire.
- 82:54 The referee blows for offside against Lee Lucas. George Long takes the indirect free kick.
- 78:58 Mark Gower takes a shot. George Long makes a save.
- 77:11 The official flags Scott Sinclair offside. Free kick taken by George Long.
- 76:33 Fabio Borini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Williamson. George Long takes the direct free kick.
- 70:22 Substitution Nick Montgomery leaves the field to be replaced by Matty Harriott.
- 70:22 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Mark Gower from the right by-line, Effort from inside the area by Stephen Dobbie misses to the left of the goal.
- 68:22 Shot from just outside the area by Scott Sinclair misses to the left of the target.
- 66:01 Substitution Lee Lucas comes on in place of Nathan Dyer.
- 66:01 Ashley Williams takes a shot and went wide left of the target.
- 64:50 Daniel Philliskirk gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Gower. Neil Taylor takes the free kick.
- 63:35 Nathan Dyer fouled by Michael Doyle, the ref awards a free kick. Mark Gower restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:59 Free kick taken by Stephen Dobbie.
- 61:59 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Mark Gower coming on for Joe Allen.
- 61:59 Substitution Alan Tate goes off and Garry Monk comes on.
- 61:59 Booking Rob Kozluk shown a yellow card.
- 61:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer by Rob Kozluk.
- 60:34 Substitution Jordan Slew leaves the field to be replaced by Daniel Philliskirk.
- 60:15 Booking Nick Montgomery is shown a yellow card for dissent.
- 59:29 Assist on the goal came from Fabio Borini.
- 59:29 GOAL - Stephen Dobbie:Swansea 3 - 0 Sheffield Utd Stephen Dobbie gets on the score sheet with a goal from just inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Swansea 3-0 Sheff Utd.
- 57:12 Nick Montgomery gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fabio Borini. Ashley Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 55:50 Substitution Terry Kennedy on for Joe Mattock.
- 54:29 GOAL - Scott Sinclair:Swansea 2 - 0 Sheffield Utd Penalty taken right-footed by Scott Sinclair and scored. Swansea 2-0 Sheff Utd.
- 53:40 Sent off The referee sends off Shane Lowry for deliberate handball.
- 53:34 Handball decision goes against Shane Lowry.
- 53:15 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Blocked by Shane Lowry.
- 51:37 Shot comes in from Stephen Dobbie from the free kick.
- 51:37 Booking Lee Williamson shown a yellow card.
- 51:20 Lee Williamson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair.
- 50:34 Michael Doyle challenges Nathan Dyer unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 47:21 Corner taken right-footed by Stephen Dobbie.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:17 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+0:39 Fabio Borini challenges Nick Montgomery unfairly and gives away a free kick. Rob Kozluk restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:37 Shot by Scott Sinclair from outside the area goes high over the crossbar.
- 41:26 Corner taken right-footed by Stephen Dobbie from the right by-line, Nick Montgomery makes a clearance.
- 39:36 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Stephen Dobbie goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 38:58 Michael Doyle produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 37:28 Unfair challenge on Jordan Slew by Alan Tate results in a free kick. Joe Mattock takes the direct free kick.
- 35:11 Corner taken short by Stephen Dobbie.
- 35:00 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Save made by George Long.
- 33:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jordan Slew by Alan Tate. Free kick taken by Joe Mattock.
- 29:08 GOAL - Stephen Dobbie:Swansea 1 - 0 Sheffield Utd Stephen Dobbie grabs a goal direct from the free kick from just outside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Swansea 1-0 Sheff Utd.
- 28:23 Rob Kozluk gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair.
- 27:13 Unfair challenge on Joe Allen by Rob Kozluk results in a free kick. Alan Tate restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:08 Corner taken left-footed by Stephen Quinn from the right by-line, save made by Dorus De Vries.
- 23:46 Lee Williamson takes a shot. Save by Dorus De Vries.
- 22:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jordan Slew on Alan Tate. Direct free kick taken by Dorus De Vries.
- 21:32 Shot from 6 yards from Nathan Dyer. George Long makes a save.
- 20:36 Foul by Michael Doyle on Leon Britton, free kick awarded. Joe Allen takes the free kick.
- 15:29 Shot on goal by Leon Britton from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 15:19 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Blocked by Shane Lowry.
- 15:04 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Shane Lowry gets a block in.
- 13:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Joe Allen on Lee Williamson. Rob Kozluk restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:01 Shot from outside the box by Michael Doyle misses to the left of the target.
- 11:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Fabio Borini on Michael Doyle. Free kick taken by Nick Montgomery.
- 9:46 The assistant referee signals for offside against Fabio Borini. Indirect free kick taken by Harry Maguire.
- 1:40 Joe Allen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen Quinn. George Long takes the free kick.
- 1:23 Short corner worked by Joe Allen.
- 1:10 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Save by George Long.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower Championship results
Npower Championship table snapshot