Reading 3-1 Leicester
Page last updated at 17:08 GMT, Saturday, 16 April 2011 18:08 UK
Reading 3 - 1 Leicester
Reading continued their relentless promotion charge by easing past play-off chasing Leicester to record an eighth consecutive Championship win.
Two goals in three first-half minutes put the hosts in control and Leicester rarely looked like fighting back.
Jimmy Kebe swept the Royals ahead on 19 minutes from Shane Long's cross and Jobi McAnuff's low shot made it 2-0.
Noel Hunt steered in a third after the break and although Andy King fired home, the result was never in doubt.
Reading, who were in the bottom half of the table in February, are now just three points adrift of second-placed Cardiff.
Leicester, meanwhile, are five points shy of the top six with four games left after an untimely run of two wins in 10 games.
Diomansy Kamara, Kyle Naughton and Yakubu all tried their luck from long range in the opening 15 minutes but failed to worry home goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
The Royals took the lead when Long held off two challenges before crossing from the left side of the area for Kebe to finish from close range.
Kebe turned provider for the second goal two minutes later, setting up McAnuff, who twisted and turned on the edge of the box before beating keeper Chris Weale with a low shot into the bottom right corner.
City then had their best spell and King forced McCarthy to save with his feet before Yakubu headed over the crossbar.
McCarthy also tipped another header from Sol Bamba round a post following a Richie Wellens corner.
But the hosts got on top after the interval and Kebe went close with a couple of efforts from the edge of the box before Reading went 3-0 up in the 67th minute when, after more work by Kebe, Hunt shot home from 12 yards.
Yakubu somehow headed over from six yards out before King's late strike from the Nigerian's pass completed the scoring.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 16 April 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 41 McCarthy
- 02 Griffin
- 05 Mills
- 15 Khizanishvili
- 23 Harte
- 04 Karacan
- 08 Leigertwood
- 11 McAnuff
- 14 Kebe (Robson-Kanu 83)
- 09 Long
- 45 Manset (Hunt 54)
- 01 Federici,
- 26 Pearce,
- 07 Tabb,
- 17 Antonio,
- 19 Robson-Kanu,
- 10 Hunt,
- 18 Church
- 01 Weale
- 04 Van Aanholt
- 12 Bruma yellow card
- 16 Naughton
- 34 Bamba (Miguel Vitor 56)
- 08 Oakley yellow card
- 10 King
- 19 Wellens
- 24 Yakubu
- 37 Vassell (Gallagher 66)
- 39 Kamara (Howard 71)
- 35 Ricardo,
- 05 Miguel Vitor,
- 15 Berner,
- 11 Dyer,
- 22 Abe,
- 07 Gallagher,
- 09 Howard
- Reading 43%
- Leicester 57%
Attempts on target
- Reading 4
- Leicester 6
Attempts off target
- Reading 5
- Leicester 6
- Reading 2
- Leicester 5
- Reading 11
- Leicester 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:21 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+2:39 Andy Griffin challenges Richie Wellens unfairly and gives away a free kick. Chris Weale takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+1:35 Corner taken short by Jobi McAnuff.
- 90:00+1:03 Noel Hunt concedes a free kick for a foul on Matt Oakley. Chris Weale takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:29 Booking Jeffrey Bruma is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 89:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jeffrey Bruma on Shane Long. Andy Griffin restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Richie Wellens by Mikele Leigertwood. Matt Oakley takes the free kick.
- 88:44 Paul Gallagher crosses the ball, save by Alex McCarthy.
- 85:40 Shane Long produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 85:12 Paul Gallagher produces a cross.
- 83:59 Paul Gallagher crosses the ball, Andy Griffin manages to make a clearance.
- 82:37 Substitution Jimmy Kebe goes off and Hal Robson-Kanu comes on.
- 80:01 Shot from outside the box by Matt Oakley misses to the left of the goal.
- 78:04 Ayegbeni Yakubu provided the assist for the goal.
- 78:04 GOAL - Andy King:Reading 3 - 1 Leicester Andy King scores a goal from long range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Reading 3-1 Leicester.
- 77:47 Jimmy Kebe crosses the ball, Angelo Miguel Vitor makes a clearance.
- 74:36 Ayegbeni Yakubu produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 74:03 Mikele Leigertwood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steve Howard. Paul Gallagher restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:20 Ayegbeni Yakubu takes a shot. Alex McCarthy makes a save.
- 71:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Patrick Van Aanholt on Jimmy Kebe. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Ian Harte from right wing, save by Chris Weale.
- 70:16 Substitution Steve Howard joins the action as a substitute, replacing Diomansy Kamara.
- 69:21 The referee blows for offside. Chris Weale takes the free kick.
- 68:55 Ayegbeni Yakubu takes a shot. Save by Alex McCarthy.
- 68:25 Paul Gallagher fouled by Mikele Leigertwood, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Paul Gallagher.
- 66:44 Shane Long provided the assist for the goal.
- 66:44 GOAL - Noel Hunt:Reading 3 - 0 Leicester A goal is scored by Noel Hunt from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. Reading 3-0 Leicester.
- 66:00 Substitution Paul Gallagher comes on in place of Darius Vassell.
- 64:56 The official flags Noel Hunt offside. Chris Weale restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 64:04 Diomansy Kamara decides to take a short corner.
- 64:04 Corner taken by Diomansy Kamara.
- 61:09 The official flags Ayegbeni Yakubu offside. Alex McCarthy takes the free kick.
- 60:22 Unfair challenge on Matt Oakley by Noel Hunt results in a free kick. Angelo Miguel Vitor takes the direct free kick.
- 58:55 Foul by Patrick Van Aanholt on Andy Griffin, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed by Ian Harte, Jeffrey Bruma makes a clearance.
- 56:54 Ayegbeni Yakubu concedes a free kick for a foul on Jem Karacan. Direct free kick taken by Andy Griffin.
- 55:37 Indirect free kick taken by Chris Weale.
- 55:37 Substitution Angelo Miguel Vitor is brought on as a substitute for Souleymane Bamba.
- 55:37 The official flags Noel Hunt offside.
- 55:18 Jem Karacan takes a shot. Save by Chris Weale.
- 53:18 Substitution Noel Hunt comes on in place of Mathieu Manset.
- 52:37 Jimmy Kebe produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 50:48 Close range shot by Jimmy Kebe clears the bar.
- 47:43 Shot on goal by Darius Vassell from inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 45:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jobi McAnuff by Richie Wellens. Ian Harte restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:06 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:31 Souleymane Bamba takes a shot. Save by Alex McCarthy. Corner taken short by Richie Wellens.
- 45:00+1:13 Corner taken by Diomansy Kamara from the left by-line, clearance made by Matt Mills.
- 45:00+0:45 Jimmy Kebe is penalised for a handball. Free kick crossed by Diomansy Kamara, clearance made by Mikele Leigertwood.
- 45:00+0:05 Corner taken by Diomansy Kamara played to the near post, Matt Mills makes a clearance.
- 44:29 Shot from inside the area by Jimmy Kebe clears the bar.
- 41:41 Corner taken left-footed by Patrick Van Aanholt from the right by-line, clearance made by Andy Griffin.
- 40:38 The assistant referee signals for offside against Diomansy Kamara. Alex McCarthy restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:08 Header from deep inside the area by Ayegbeni Yakubu goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 32:06 Souleymane Bamba gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shane Long. Ian Harte fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 30:51 Jem Karacan challenges Darius Vassell unfairly and gives away a free kick. Richie Wellens takes the free kick.
- 26:39 The ball is sent over by Darius Vassell.
- 25:32 Andy King takes a shot. Alex McCarthy makes a save.
- 24:37 Unfair challenge on Matt Mills by Ayegbeni Yakubu results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Alex McCarthy.
- 23:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Souleymane Bamba by Mathieu Manset. Patrick Van Aanholt takes the free kick.
- 20:21 Andy Griffin provided the assist for the goal.
- 20:21 GOAL - Jobi McAnuff:Reading 2 - 0 Leicester Jobi McAnuff finds the net with a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Reading 2-0 Leicester.
- 18:50 Shane Long provided the assist for the goal.
- 18:50 GOAL - Jimmy Kebe:Reading 1 - 0 Leicester Jimmy Kebe finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the top left corner of the goal. Reading 1-0 Leicester.
- 18:12 Free kick taken by Ian Harte.
- 18:12 Booking The referee shows Matt Oakley a yellow card.
- 17:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matt Oakley on Jimmy Kebe.
- 15:39 The ball is delivered by Kyle Naughton.
- 14:17 Shot from just outside the box by Ayegbeni Yakubu goes over the bar.
- 13:15 Unfair challenge on Mathieu Manset by Souleymane Bamba results in a free kick. Free kick crossed left-footed by Ian Harte from right channel, Jeffrey Bruma manages to make a clearance.
- 12:32 Shane Long concedes a free kick for a foul on Richie Wellens. Free kick taken by Souleymane Bamba.
- 10:54 Andy Griffin challenges Diomansy Kamara unfairly and gives away a free kick. Richie Wellens crosses the ball in from the free kick, save made by Alex McCarthy.
- 7:24 Foul by Mikele Leigertwood on Andy King, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Matt Oakley.
- 6:02 The referee blows for offside against Diomansy Kamara. Indirect free kick taken by Ian Harte.
- 5:19 Kyle Naughton takes a shot. Alex McCarthy makes a save.
- 1:56 Diomansy Kamara takes a shot from deep inside the box clearing the bar.
- 0:50 Corner from the right by-line taken by Ian Harte, Chris Weale makes a save.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower Championship results
Npower Championship table snapshot