Doncaster 1-3 Cardiff
Page last updated at 15:56 GMT, Saturday, 9 April 2011 16:56 UK
Doncaster 1 - 3 Cardiff
Super substitute Jason Koumas fired two late goals to earn Cardiff City a vital win in their Premier League promotion push at Doncaster Rovers.
Koumas had been on the pitch three minutes when he rescued Cardiff with with a stunning 25-yard free-kick.
Koumas then added his second of the game, and second this season after Craig Bellamy's delicate pass.
Chris Burke had slid Cardiff into an early lead before James Coppinger thought he had saved Doncaster a point.
But the Koumas late, late show and a little magic from the mercurial former Welsh international won the three points for Cardiff with two superb goals as the third-placed Cardiff enhanced their Championship promotion bid to move just a point behind second-placed Norwich City.
Koumas replaced Burke, the opening goal-scorer in the first-half, in the 86th minute and with virtually his first touch of the game he whipped a free-kick over the wall and past helpless Doncaster keeper Gary Woods to snatch victory in the final minute of normal time.
The on-loan Wigan Athletic midfielder had been beset by illness and injury since arriving at the Cardiff City Stadium but showed his undoubted technical ability with a free-kick of the highest quality.
Koumas then sealed the victory four minutes into added time when the 31-year-old completed a slick Cardiff move following Bellamy's incisive pass.
Coppinger went close for struggling Doncaster early on before Franck Moussa forced a good reaction save from Cardiff keeper Tom Heaton before Burke nudged the visitors ahead with their first attack.
Jay Bothroyd ran at the Rovers defence before back-heeling the ball into the path of Scottish winger and the in-form Burke kept his composure to hit a low shot under the body of Woods for his third goal in as many starts.
Simon Gillett was presented with a great opportunity to level when clean through but was denied by Heaton while Moussa enjoyed another couple of half chances but Doncaster's lack of cutting edge proved their downfall despite a promising first-half.
Woods produced a great save to stop Cardiff winger Peter Whittingham before Heaton was again called upon to deny Coppinger.
But Coppinger was not to be denied as the Rovers midfielder was alert to convert a rebound off Heaton after George Friend's initial shot was saved.
Doncaster's deserved leveller was their first goal for almost six hours of football and Sean O'Driscoll's side were eyeing their first win since 1 February.
But Rovers were left to rue missed chances and their defensive frailties late in games as Koumas' late double was the 12th and 13th goals Doncaster have conceded in the final five minutes of fixtures this season.
And The Bluebirds earned their unparalleled ninth Championship away win of the season with the match-winning quality when not at their best that makes Cardiff such a threat.
It was a cometh the hour moment for Cardiff fans favourite Koumas, who scored 13 goals in a player-of-the-year season in a first loan spell at Cardiff in the 2005/06 season, in the final minute at The Keepmoat Stadium with a sensational free-kick after Matthew Kilgallon fouled Bothroyd.
Then after scoring his first goal since the opening game of last season, Koumas added another inside four minutes to earn Cardiff their first victory at Doncaster since 1992 to leave O'Driscoll's men seven points from the Championship drop-zone.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 9 April 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 33 Woods
- 03 Friend
- 04 Martis
- 20 Mills (Kilgallon 21)
- 24 Dumbuya
- 08 Stock
- 14 Moussa
- 16 Oster (Euell 71)
- 18 Gillett (Wilson 83)
- 26 Coppinger
- 12 Hayter
- 01 Sullivan,
- 05 Thomas,
- 27 Kilgallon,
- 15 Wilson,
- 17 Mason,
- 22 Shiels,
- 19 Euell
- 22 Heaton
- 02 McNaughton
- 12 Keinan
- 14 Quinn
- 21 Samuel (Naylor 84)
- 07 Whittingham
- 10 McPhail
- 11 Burke (Koumas 87)
- 20 Olofinjana
- 09 Bothroyd
- 39 Bellamy
- 13 Brown,
- 03 Naylor,
- 06 Gyepes,
- 04 Rae,
- 19 Koumas,
- 23 Blake,
- 27 Matthews
- Doncaster 60%
- Cardiff 40%
Attempts on target
- Doncaster 7
- Cardiff 5
Attempts off target
- Doncaster 9
- Cardiff 2
- Doncaster 6
- Cardiff 2
- Doncaster 9
- Cardiff 9
- Final Result
- 94:55 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:09 Craig Bellamy provided the assist for the goal.
- 90:00+4:09 GOAL - Jason Koumas:Doncaster 1 - 3 Cardiff A goal is scored by Jason Koumas from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Doncaster 1-3 Cardiff.
- 90:00+1:15 Unfair challenge on Matthew Kilgallon by Kevin McNaughton results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Gary Woods.
- 89:29 Matthew Kilgallon challenges Jay Bothroyd unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 89:29 GOAL - Jason Koumas:Doncaster 1 - 2 Cardiff Goal scored by Jason Koumas from outside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Doncaster 1-2 Cardiff.
- 86:40 Substitution Chris Burke leaves the field to be replaced by Jason Koumas.
- 85:52 Unfair challenge on George Friend by Jay Bothroyd results in a free kick. George Friend restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:12 Outswinging corner taken by Peter Whittingham from the left by-line, Craig Bellamy challenges Shelton Martis unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gary Woods restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 82:41 Substitution Jlloyd Samuel goes off and Lee Naylor comes on.
- Correction - 82:41 Substitution (Doncaster) makes a substitution, with Mark Wilson coming on for Simon Gillett.
- 82:41 Substitution Lee Naylor joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jlloyd Samuel.
- 82:41 Substitution Mark Wilson comes on in place of Simon Gillett.
- 81:22 Seyi Olofinjana challenges James Coppinger unfairly and gives away a free kick. Centre by James Coppinger, Franck Moussa has a headed effort at goal, save by Tom Heaton.
- 79:55 Brian Stock gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Seyi Olofinjana. Tom Heaton takes the direct free kick.
- 78:35 Unfair challenge on Matthew Kilgallon by Craig Bellamy results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Gary Woods.
- 77:13 Assist on the goal came from James Hayter.
- 77:13 GOAL - James Coppinger:Doncaster 1 - 1 Cardiff A goal is scored by James Coppinger from the edge of the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Doncaster 1-1 Cardiff.
- 75:35 Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Franck Moussa goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 74:43 James Coppinger takes a shot. Save made by Tom Heaton.
- 72:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jason Euell on Tom Heaton. Tom Heaton restarts play with the free kick.
- 70:26 The offside flag is raised against Simon Gillett. Tom Heaton takes the indirect free kick.
- 70:26 Substitution Jason Euell comes on in place of John Oster.
- 69:08 Peter Whittingham takes a shot from 6 yards. Save by Gary Woods.
- 66:21 Shot from outside the area by James Coppinger misses to the left of the target.
- 65:18 Effort from outside the penalty area by James Coppinger goes wide left of the target.
- 59:50 The ball is delivered by James Coppinger.
- 56:56 Shot by Franck Moussa. Save made by Tom Heaton.
- 53:33 Unfair challenge on Stephen McPhail by Simon Gillett results in a free kick. Kevin McNaughton takes the direct free kick.
- 50:34 Shot by Seyi Olofinjana. Gary Woods makes a save.
- 49:08 Jlloyd Samuel fouled by Brian Stock, the ref awards a free kick. Peter Whittingham takes the free kick.
- 47:22 Effort from the edge of the area by James Coppinger goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:03 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:28 John Oster gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Stephen McPhail. Direct free kick taken by Peter Whittingham.
- 39:10 Effort on goal by Franck Moussa from 20 yards. Tom Heaton makes a save.
- 37:11 Unfair challenge on George Friend by Jay Bothroyd results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by George Friend.
- 34:51 Corner from the right by-line taken by John Oster, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Shelton Martis misses to the right of the target.
- 33:18 Unfair challenge on Chris Burke by George Friend results in a free kick. The ball is swung over by Peter Whittingham, Close range header by Dekel Keinan misses to the right of the goal.
- 26:53 Effort on goal by Simon Gillett from 12 yards. Save by Tom Heaton. Outswinging corner taken by James Coppinger, Jay Bothroyd manages to make a clearance.
- 26:12 Craig Bellamy is adjudged to have handled the ball. Free kick taken by Shelton Martis.
- 25:17 Jay Bothroyd fouled by Brian Stock, the ref awards a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Peter Whittingham.
- 21:42 Short corner worked by James Coppinger.
- 20:13 Foul by Jlloyd Samuel on James Hayter, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Shelton Martis.
- 20:13 Substitution Matthew Kilgallon comes on in place of Joseph Mills.
- 19:06 Peter Whittingham takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Shelton Martis.
- 14:31 Assist by Jay Bothroyd.
- 14:31 GOAL - Chris Burke:Doncaster 0 - 1 Cardiff Chris Burke scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Doncaster 0-1 Cardiff.
- 13:45 Unfair challenge on George Friend by Jay Bothroyd results in a free kick. George Friend takes the free kick.
- 12:20 The ball is swung over by John Oster, Headed effort from inside the area by James Hayter misses to the left of the goal.
- 10:18 Inswinging corner taken by James Coppinger, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Shelton Martis goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 9:49 James Coppinger takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Seyi Olofinjana.
- 9:27 Shot by Franck Moussa from 18 yards. Save by Tom Heaton.
- 6:39 John Oster sends in a cross.
- 5:53 Craig Bellamy is ruled offside. Shelton Martis restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:38 Corner taken by James Coppinger from the left by-line, clearance by Seyi Olofinjana. James Coppinger produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 3:09 Brian Stock fouled by Jay Bothroyd, the ref awards a free kick. George Friend takes the direct free kick.
- 2:33 Shot from 35 yards by Brian Stock went over the net.
- 1:08 Mustapha Dumbuya gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jay Bothroyd. Free kick taken by Jlloyd Samuel.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Npower Championship results
Npower Championship table snapshot