Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 17 April, 2001, 18:36 GMT 19:36 UK
Watford 3-2 Wolves
Heidar Helguson
Helguson has kept Watford's slight play-off hopes alive
Icelandic international Heidar Helguson kept Watford's First Division play-off hopes alive with a last-gasp winner against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Graham Taylor's men took control of the game with two goals in the first 13 minutes.

And when Wolves were reduced to 10 men after 32 minutes it seemed only a matter of playing out time for the Hornets.

However Sean Connelly's dismissal was the catalyst to an inspired Wolves comeback and but for Helguson's late intervention they would have taken a share of the spoils from Vicarage Road.

I felt we deserved to win the game - although when you score with the last attack people are bound to say you are lucky
  Graham Taylor,
Watford manager
Watford had taken the lead when a Gifton Noel-Williams header had sent Tommy Smith away down the right after seven minutes and his cross was slid home by Tommy Mooney - his 22nd goal of the season.

And after 13 minutes Smith attacked the heart of the Wolves' defence to beat keeper Michael Oakes with a low left-foot shot.

Then when Smith broke clear again after 32 minutes, Connelly pulled him back by the shirt and the referee duly issued the red card.

Two minutes from the interval Wolves' Michael Branch broke into the box and fell under the untidy challenge from Paul Robinson.

George Ndah stepped up to drive the ball to the keeper's right from the penalty spot and give the visitors hope.

Watford almost made the game safe early in the second half but Allan Nielsen hit the post with one shot and Andy Oakes tipped the ball over from a Noel-Williams header.

Eleven minutes from time Wolves found the equaliser.

I was proud of my players
  Dave Jones,
Wolves manager
Keith Andrews sent over a corner for Ndah to head goalwards and Adam Proudlock turned to hook the ball in from close range.

However as time ticked by Taylor's men had one last throw of the dice against one of his former clubs.

With almost the final attack of the game, Smith broke into the Wanderers penalty area and drove the ball across for Helguson to walk in the deciding goal at the far post.

Watford: Chamberlain, Cox, Page, Palmer, Robinson, Vernazza, Nielsen, Kennedy, Smith, Noel-Williams, Mooney.
Subs: Hyde, Day, Helguson, Panayi, Cook.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Oakes, Connelly, Pollet, Lescott, Camara, Branch, Emblen, Andrews, Robinson, Roussel, Ndah.
Subs: Naylor, Ketsbaia, Sinton, Stowell, Proudlock.

Referee: M Jones (Chester).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top