Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Charlie Lambert
"Wonderful scenes of celebration greeted a wonderful achievement"
 real 14k

Fulham defender Kit Symons
"We got off to such a good start and once the belief was there we maintained that"
 real 14k

Saturday, 14 April, 2001, 16:45 GMT 17:45 UK
Fulham go up with win at Terriers
Fulham players celebrate
Tigana's Fulham will grace the Premiership next season
Huddersfield 1-2 Fulham

Fulham won promotion to the Premiership with a win at Huddersfield.

The First Division leaders, whose rise from the lower reaches of the Nationwide League has been financed by multi-millionaire Mohamed al-Fayed, will take their place in the top flight next season for the first time since 1968.

Top scorer Louis Saha hit his 29th goal of the season from the penalty spot at the McAlpine Stadium only for Delroy Facey to give struggling Huddersfield a lifeline with the equaliser.

But Luis Boa Morte struck the winner with five minutes remaining to crown a wonderful first season in charge for manager Jean Tigana.

Fulham now need another point to clinch the title following Blackburn's 0-0 draw at Stockport.

After seven minutes Boa Morte, who had earlier been unlucky not to get on the end of a Saha flick-on, got clear in the box, but blazed well wide from 12 yards out.


Then five minutes later, a clever through-ball by Stolcers saw Clark get in behind the defence, but again his left-foot shot from 12 yards out was high over the bar.

The visitors came closest to breaking the deadlock as half-time approached.

Clark hit a low drive from 30 yards which was safely gathered by home keeper Vaesen and then Boa Morte's pace again took him into the box but his shot was blocked for a corner.

There was a nasty looking incident on 23 minutes when Chris Lucketti and Saha both went down heavily after an accidental collision just outside the Huddersfield box.

But fortunately, after lengthy treatment both the Huddersfield captain and Saha were able to continue.


Three minutes later Saha showed he was suffering from no ill effects as he met Goldbaek's corner with a firm header which grazed the bar from 12 yards out.

The corner had been won by Boa Morte, who showed blistering pace to race into the box before being denied by a last-ditch tackle from Dyson.

Fulham did not have the game all their own way and Huddersfield's pressure led to a corner on 28 minutes, and visiting keeper Taylor tipped over an Armstrong in-swinger.

The same two players were prominent after half an hour - Armstrong found space 25 yards out and his fierce left-foot drive was tipped at full stretch round the post by Taylor.

Clark missed an easy chance to seal the game for Fulham after 68 minutes when he somehow slipped the ball wide from only six yards out and it was against the run of play when Huddersfield equalised 10 minutes later.

Facey, who was operating as a lone striker ran at the visiting defence took the ball past Symons and crisply finished with a shot from 12 yards out.

This gave the whole team fresh heart and Facey again went close with a shot from the edge of the area.

Fulham were sufficiently rattled for Tigana made a double substitution, bringing on Sean Davis and Karlheinz Riedle.

This paid off on 84 minutes when Boa Morte scored the decisive second goal, toe-poking Finnan's pass into the net from the edge of the area as Vaesen rashly raced off his line.

There were joyous scenes at the final whistle as thousands of Fulham fans celebrated their team's return to the top flight.

The Fulham players and Tigana raced to the end where the visiting supporters were congregated for a prolonged bout of applause.

Huddersfield Town: Vaesen, Heary, Lucketti, Dyson, Jenkins, Thornley, Armstrong, Holland, Gorre, Facey, Baldry.
Subs: Margetson, Moses, Brennan, Irons, Gallen.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Melville, Symons, Brevett, Sahnoun, Clark, Stolcers, Goldbaek, Saha, Boa Morte.
Subs: Hahnemann, Moller, Riedle, Neilson, Davis.

Referee: K Hill (Royston).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top