Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Saturday, 17 March, 2001, 17:40 GMT
Huddersfield 2-1 Sheff Utd
Martin Smith
On target: Martin Smith
Delroy Facey's sixth goal of the season earned lowly Huddersfield three vital survival points and sent Sheffield United tumbling to a third successive defeat.

Facey headed home Craig Armstrong's 79th-minute corner to raise hopes that Huddersfield can beat the drop to division two.

The visitors had been looking for a victory to re-ignite their dwindling play-off chances but, after a bright opening from the Blades, it was Town who stole the lead.

On-loan striker Lee Morris flighted a cross from deep on the left for fellow former Blade Martin Smith to head goalwards.

Smith's header looped over goalkeeper Simon Tracey but was kept out by the inside of the post. As the ball trundled along the goalline Smith was quick to recover and bundled the ball in for his first goal in five games.

Gained reward

The lead was barely deserved and Sheffield could have been three up inside the opening 18 minutes if Peter Ndlovu and Paul Devlin could have found the target.

Town winger Simon Baldry almost doubled the lead after 26 minutes but Tracey was on hand to pull off a fine save diving to his right.

United finally got their reward after 35 minutes when Carl Asaba grabbed his first goal for the club since his move from Gillingham two weeks ago.

The goal was an absolute gift from the home defence when Adi Moses failed to deal with skipper Chris Lucketti's mishit header and merely succeeded in pushing the ball into Asaba's path.

Asaba had little trouble in firing past a helpless Nico Vaesen from 10 yards out.

Devlin forced a fingertip save from Vaesen after 40 minutes and from the resulting corner Ndlovu fired wide.

Moses, who was enduring a torrid afternoon, almost gift-wrapped another goal for United two minutes after the re-start.

He passed straight to Michael Brown after cutting out Tracey's long punt. But the midfielder's curling effort was again palmed away by Vaesen.

The game appeared to be heading for a stalemate when Facey popped up with the winner. Huddersfield kept their nerve and clung on to increase their survival chances.

Huddersfield: Vaesen, Jenkins, Moses, Dyson, Lucketti, Gorre, Armstrong, Baldry, Smith, Facey, Morris. Subs: Margetson, Gray, Irons, Gallen, Heary.

Sheff Utd: Tracey, Ullathorne, Kozluk, Curle, Murphy, Montgomery, Brown, Devlin, Ford, Ndlovu, Asaba. Subs: D'Jaffo, Peschisolido, Suffo, Jagielka, Woodward.

Referee: W Jordan (Tring).

Referee: W Jordan (Tring)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top