Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Eng Div 1  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 20 February, 2001, 22:37 GMT
Burnley 2-1 Fulham
Gareth Taylor
Taylor enjoyed a successful debut for Burnley
Two excellent goals in the final quarter gave Burnley a deserved victory over high-flying Fulham in a terrific all-action match at Turf Moor.

After a goalless first half dominated by the Clarets, Fulham dominated the second half and scored within minutes of the restart.

On 49 minutes, Fulham full-back Steve Finnan dribbled neatly into the box and crossed to the far post and Barry Hayles headed home to grab the lead against the run of play.

Burnley then raised their game to match everything that had been thrown at them.

On 73 minutes a cross from Glen Little was met at the far post by on-loan signing Gareth Taylor.

He headed back across goal for Ian Moore to head past the helpless Maik Taylor.

Constant Burnley pressure, egged on by a frenzied crowd, paid off in the dying minutes when Moore turned provider.

The record signing raced through the Fulham defence and passed to Little and the agile winger worked space on the left before rifling home to grab a deserved winner.

It was only Fulham's fourth League defeat of the season - but it was no more than Burnley deserved.

In the first half Burnley were on top throughout with Gareth Taylor and Moore causing constant problems for the normally resolute Fulham defence.

On three occasions debutant Taylor forced his namesake in the Fulham goal to make brave saves.

Fulham had few chances, the best falling to Lee Clark who brought a diving save from Nik Michopoulos and the goal from Hayles on 49 minutes only served to inspire Burnley, who played as if their lives depended on it.

Gareth Taylor was constantly in the thick of the action and his new strike partnership with Moore augers well for the challenges to come.

Fulham had their chances, notably when Finnan hit the post and Clark should have scored but he waited too long and was robbed by a fine tackle from Steve Davis.

In the end Burnley ran out worthy winners to end a poor run of results to leave Fulham facing a long journey back to the capital, pondering why they have failed to win on this ground since 1951.

Burnley: Michopoulos, Thomas, Cox, Davis, Weller, Branch, Cook, Little, Armstrong, Taylor, Moore. Subs: Crichton, Payton, Johnrose, Mullin, Mellon.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Symons, Melville, Brevett, Clark, John Collins, Goldbaek, Davis, Boa Morte, Hayles. Subs: Hahnemann, Moller, Riedle, Neilson, Fernandes.

Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Eng Div 1 stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Eng Div 1 stories

^^ Back to top