BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:49 GMT, Sunday, 26 April 2009 17:49 UK

Wrexham 2-0 Weymouth

Wrexham ended their season on a high by ending a run of four straight defeats against already-relegated Weymouth.

Michael Proctor broke the deadlock after 30 minutes when he collected the ball from Jamie McCluskey and smashed it home from close range.

Ryan Flynn doubled the lead three minutes later, receiving Sam Aiston's pass and tucking the ball under Weymouth goalkeeper Adam Legzdins.

Stephen Cooke had a chance for Weymouth late on but Chris Maxwell saved well.

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders:

"I wanted the three points for the supporters first of all and for my own sanity as well throughout the summer.

"It was also for the players because I don't think it's lack of effort that we never got there [promotion].

"We've taken a few punches on the chin. At least we can go away for the summer with some positive vibes."

Wrexham: Maxwell, Curtis (Edwards 58), Westwood, Kempson, Williamson, McCluskey, Kearney, Fleming (Fairhurst 81), Aiston, Proctor (Brown 90), Flynn.
Subs Not Used: Taylor, Anoruo.

Booked: Aiston.

Goals: Proctor 30, Flynn 33.

Weymouth: Legzdins, Frampton, Hoyte, Gwinnett, Gill (Agera 66), Merella, Browning, Coutts, Cutler, Akurang, Onibuje (Joseph-Dubois 46), Joseph-Dubois (Cooke 55).
Subs Not Used: Reiffer, Richardson.

Booked: Browning.

Att: 2,756

Ref: P Curry (England).

Print Sponsor

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.