Luton 2-0 Newport
Page last updated at 17:14 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Luton Town kept up their Blue Square Bet Premier play-off push with a comfortable fourth successive win over struggling 10-man Newport County.
Newport debutant Ryan Charles was given a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on Daniel Gleeson and within two minutes, Luton went in front,
Striker Aaron O'Connor headed in his third of the season from Jake Howells' corner before Danny Crow sealed it.
Crow finished a Luton counter-attack as he converted Greg Taylor's cross.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Luton Town manager Gary Brabin told BBC Three Counties Radio:
"It's hard to say on the sending off. If you live by the sword you die by the sword. It was quite a physical encounter.
"We knew it was going to be difficult. They're down there and they've got a good manager.
"They've got some good players too. At the beginning of the season they were one of the favourites to get promoted."
Newport County manager Justin Edinburgh told BBC Radio Wales:
"I've only seen [the sending off] once and I thought leading up to that for about 10 minutes the referee had lost control of the game.
"I thought it was a harsh card for the challenge; if he had pulled out a yellow I wouldn't have been surprised, it would have been justified.
"But to show a straight red... I didn't think it was a high challenge, I thought the foot was on the floor and certainly I can say that honestly Ryan says he took the ball first."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 30 Pilkington
- 02 Gleeson (Dance 41)
- 03 Taylor
- 06 Pilkington (Willmott 80)
- 15 Howells
- 34 Kovacs
- 04 Keane
- 07 Lawless
- 28 Watkins
- 10 Crow (Fleetwood 74)
- 14 O'Connor
- 01 Tyler,
- 11 Willmott,
- 19 Dance,
- 20 Kissock,
- 13 Fleetwood
- 18 Thompson
- 05 Warren yellow card
- 06 Yakubu (Baker 87)
- 16 Hughes
- 25 Rodgers
- 19 Pipe
- 10 Foley
- 15 Jarvis (Harris 73)
- 20 Charles red card
- 26 Buchanan (Matthews 58)
- 28 Sandell yellow card
- 01 Potter,
- 03 Baker,
- 23 Harris,
- 11 Knights,
- 21 Matthews
- Luton 55%
- Newport 45%
Attempts on target
- Luton 5
- Newport 1
Attempts off target
- Luton 9
- Newport 5
- Luton 2
- Newport 1
- Luton 4
- Newport 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:22 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+2:11 Aaron O'Connor crosses the ball, Greg Taylor takes a shot. Glyn Thompson makes a comfortable save.
- 90:00+0:48 Centre by James Dance, comfortable save by Glyn Thompson.
- 90:00+0:13 Shot by Stuart Fleetwood from a long way out goes over the net.
- 89:46 Robbie Matthews challenges Alex Lawless unfairly and gives away a free kick. Alex Lawless takes the direct free kick.
- 88:58 Sam Foley has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 87:01 The referee blows for offside against Stuart Fleetwood. Glyn Thompson takes the free kick.
- 86:01 Substitution Lee Baker joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ismail Yakubu.
- 85:04 Greg Taylor sends in a cross, Ismail Yakubu makes a clearance.
- 84:04 Shot from just outside the box by Robbie Willmott misses to the left of the goal.
- 83:44 Stuart Fleetwood delivers the ball, Gary Warren makes a clearance.
- 83:01 Jake Harris is flagged offside by the assistant referee. James Dance restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:41 Alex Lawless is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Free kick taken by Glyn Thompson.
- 81:59 Aaron O'Connor delivers the ball, Ismail Yakubu gets a block in.
- Correction - 79:01 Substitution (Luton) makes a substitution, with Robbie Willmott coming on for George Pilkington.
- 79:01 Substitution Darryl Knights comes on in place of Ismail Yakubu.
- 77:52 Andy Sandell gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Aaron O'Connor. Direct free kick taken by Kevin Pilkington.
- 73:42 Substitution Stuart Fleetwood is brought on as a substitute for Danny Crow.
- 72:05 Substitution Jake Harris is brought on as a substitute for Nathaniel Jarvis.
- 70:58 Kevin Pilkington takes the free kick.
- 70:58 Booking Andy Sandell booked.
- 70:52 Andy Sandell challenges Aaron O'Connor unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 68:52 Adam Watkins takes a shot. Comfortable save by Glyn Thompson.
- 67:31 Alex Lawless has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 65:51 Assist by Greg Taylor.
- 65:51 GOAL - Danny Crow:Luton 2 - 0 Newport County A goal is scored by Danny Crow from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Luton 2-0 Newport County.
- 65:22 The ball is swung over by Nathaniel Jarvis, Alex Lawless makes a clearance.
- 63:28 Free kick awarded for a foul by Greg Taylor on Robbie Matthews. Glyn Thompson takes the free kick.
- 61:13 Nathaniel Jarvis concedes a free kick for a foul on Janos Kovacs. James Dance restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:37 Effort from the edge of the box by Greg Taylor goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 59:45 Adam Watkins produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 58:59 Unfair challenge on Alex Lawless by Nathaniel Jarvis results in a free kick. Janos Kovacs restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:12 David Pipe crosses the ball, George Pilkington gets a block in.
- 57:15 Substitution Robbie Matthews is brought on as a substitute for Elliott Buchanan.
- 56:38 David Pipe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on George Pilkington. Free kick taken by George Pilkington.
- 55:49 A cross is delivered by James Dance, save by Glyn Thompson.
- 54:34 Direct free kick taken by Alex Lawless.
- 54:34 Booking The referee cautions Gary Warren for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gary Warren on Aaron O'Connor.
- 51:45 A cross is delivered by Andrew Hughes, Alex Lawless makes a clearance.
- 49:39 Effort on goal by James Dance from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 46:38 The ball is crossed by Andy Sandell, clearance made by Keith Keane.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:00 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+1:54 Centre by Jake Howells. The ball is sent over by James Dance.
- 45:00+1:07 Jake Howells has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide left of the target.
- 41:42 A cross is delivered by Paul Rodgers.
- 39:44 Substitution (Luton) makes a substitution, with James Dance coming on for Daniel Gleeson.
- 39:44 Sam Foley has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 37:02 Unfair challenge on Keith Keane by Andy Sandell results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Alex Lawless.
- 36:01 The referee blows for offside against Danny Crow. Glyn Thompson restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:19 Assist on the goal came from Jake Howells.
- 34:19 GOAL - Aaron O'Connor:Luton 1 - 0 Newport County Aaron O'Connor finds the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Luton 1-0 Newport County.
- 33:57 Jake Howells takes the inswinging corner,
- 32:18 Free kick taken by Janos Kovacs.
- 32:18 Sent off The referee shows Ryan Charles a red card for professional foul.
- 32:13 Unfair challenge on Daniel Gleeson by Ryan Charles results in a free kick.
- 30:50 Jake Howells fouled by Ismail Yakubu, the ref awards a free kick. Jake Howells produces a cross, Close range headed effort by Janos Kovacs goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 29:52 Danny Crow gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrew Hughes. Free kick taken by Andrew Hughes.
- 29:14 Ryan Charles takes a shot. Save by Kevin Pilkington.
- 27:39 Aaron O'Connor challenges Gary Warren unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Glyn Thompson.
- 26:45 Adam Watkins takes a shot. Save by Glyn Thompson.
- 26:08 Nathaniel Jarvis challenges Daniel Gleeson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Daniel Gleeson takes the free kick.
- 24:57 Corner from the left by-line taken by Nathaniel Jarvis, Gary Warren has a header from close in and clears the crossbar.
- 24:14 Sam Foley produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes wide left of the goal.
- 22:36 Handball decision goes against Nathaniel Jarvis. Kevin Pilkington restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:07 Aaron O'Connor is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Free kick taken by Andrew Hughes.
- 18:33 Nathaniel Jarvis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Janos Kovacs. Free kick taken by Alex Lawless.
- 13:07 Ryan Charles sends in a cross, George Pilkington makes a clearance.
- 11:59 Alex Lawless has an effort at goal from just outside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 11:27 Jake Howells produces a cross, Paul Rodgers gets a block in.
- 9:32 The ball is delivered by Daniel Gleeson.
- 7:57 Effort from the edge of the area by Elliott Buchanan goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 5:33 Handball decision goes against David Pipe. George Pilkington restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:09 Greg Taylor sends in a cross, save by Glyn Thompson.
- 4:07 Centre by Greg Taylor, Ismail Yakubu manages to make a clearance. Short corner worked by Adam Watkins, Jake Howells produces a cross.
- 1:19 Keith Keane concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Rodgers. Direct free kick taken by Ismail Yakubu.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Conference Premier results
Conference Premier table snapshot
|23||Hayes & Yeading||27||-21||21|
30 January 12Football