BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 10:29 GMT, Monday, 15 September 2008 11:29 UK

Al Ahly top group after Cairo derby draw

Mohamed Aboutrika
Mohamed Aboutrika squared the tie 20 minutes from time for Al Ahly

Egypt's Al Ahly sealed top place in Group A of the African Champions League, after coming from behind to draw 2-2 with bitter rivals Zamalek in an eventful Cairo derby.

Ahly took the lead after just eight minutes when the Angolan duo Gilberto and Flavio combined, but Gamal Hamza equalised before the halfway mark for Zamalek.

Ghanaian Junior Agogo, recently signed from English club Nottingham Forest, struck six minutes after the break to put Zamalek ahead.

Egyptian international Mohamed Aboutrika then levelled the tie at 2-2 with a strike in the 70th minute.

The draw puts Ahly on 11 points, six points clear of Zimbabwe's Dynamos at the top of Group A and guarantees them home advantage in the second leg of next month's semi-final.

Zamalek now have to beat Dynamos to finish second in the group.

Dynamos snatched a shock 2-1 victory over Asec Mimosas of Ivory Coast in Abidjan on Saturday, snatching the winner six minutes into stoppage time.

A blunder by central defender Moussa Ouattara in the Group A game allowed Philip Marufu time and space and he gave goalkeeper Daniel Yeboah no chance as the visitors completed a double over the former champions.

After soaking up first half pressure in perfect conditions at the compact Robert Champroux Stadium, Dynamos silenced the home crowd on 53 minutes when Marufu struck off a rebound.

Another rebound allowed Asec to equalise 20 minutes later as a looping Antoine N'Gossan header came back off the crossbar and Cyriac Gohi Bi stabbed the ball over the line.

The result lifted the Harare side from bottom place to second and a home victory over five-time title holders Zamalek next Sunday will take them into the semi-finals of the competition.

For all their possession the youthful Ivorians struggled to penetrate a defence backed by goalkeeper Willard Manyatera, who gave a near faultless performance.

Marufu, who had not scored in 10 previous Champions League outings this year, broke the deadlock by firing home from close range after Yeboah had parried his first effort.

Asec pressed forward once teenage substitute Gohi levelled only to be caught out seconds before the Tunisian referee blew for full-time and left the Mimosas with little hope as their final fixture is in Cairo against Ahly.

see also
Champions League statistics
31 Aug 08 |  African
Clubs eye semi-final spots
12 Sep 08 |  African

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites