BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 19 February 2006, 14:52 GMT
Champions League results
Champions League logo
AS Port Louis are through to the Champions League second round

Mauritian club AS Port Louis 2000 are the first team to qualify for the second round of the Champions League after beating debutants Coin Nord Mitsamiouli of the Comoros Islands 1-0 on Sunday.

The match was decided by just the one tie because Coin Nord's ground in the Comoran capital Moroni is not suitable for international competition.

Coin Nord were beaten 1-0 but the islanders took the game to extra-time and were undone by Mauritian international Giovanni Jeannot's goal two minutes from time in Curepipe.

AS Port Louis 2000 will now meet the winner of Sunday's match between Swaziland's Mbabane Swallows and South African side Orlando Pirates.

Also on Sunday, two-time champions Enyimba of Nigeria suffered a 1-0 defeat away to Gabon's Mangasport while their compatriots Enugu Rangers secured a 2-2 away to Botswana's Police XI, in the first round of their first leg ties.

Former champions Kumasi Asante Kotoko of Ghana got a crucial 1-1 draw away to Cameroon's Aigle Royal Menoua.

The visitors took the lead in the first half through Mike Adu Amofa, before the home side equalised later on.

Another former champions ASEC of Ivory Coast thrashed East End Lions of Sierra Leone 4-0 in Freetown while Zimbabwe's CAPS United staged a remarkable comeback in Bujumbura as they drew 3-3 with Burundi's Inter Stars.

The visitors were 3-0 down with 12 minutes remaining but they rallied and equalised.

CS Sfaxien of Tunisia secured a 3-1 away victory over Niger's AS FNIS while Equatorial Guinea's Renaicemento were held to a goalless draw by Ivorian side Africa Sport.

Meanwhile, Kenya champions Tusker FC look set to make it to the second round of Champions League, with a 3-1 win over Eritrea's Red Sea in Kasarani on Saturday.

Tusker dominated the early exchanges and opened the scoring in the 9th minute through George Midenyo.

The Kenyans then doubled their lead two minutes later thanks to a strike by Nicholas Ochieng.

The Eritreans rallied and got a goal after Binam Fasehaye managed to get the ball past the crowded Kenyan defence at the stroke of half-time.

With only five minutes remaining, Ochieng took advantage of a Red Sea defensive blunder to score the third goal for the home side.

In Saturday's other matches, Young Africans of Tanzania beat Zambia's ZANACO 2-1 while DR Congo club St. Eloi Lupopo beat visiting AS Police of Congo 2-0.

Egyptian club ENPPI travelled to Ethiopia to hold the St. George to a goalless draw.

Police of Uganda also played out to a goalless draw in their home tie against Sudan's Al Hilal.

The first round, second leg matches are scheduled for the weekend of 3-5 March.

2006 Champs League
24 Dec 05 |  African


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport