BBC Sport, Cape Town
South Africa's ruling African National Congress is no doubt pleased that the widely expected resignation of Stuart Baxter as Bafana Bafana coach is hogging the headlines.
Baxter says his work was hampered by incompetent officials
Baxter's decision to throw in the towel on Tuesday has, for the time being at least, replaced the feud between President Thabo Mbeki and his former deputy Jacob Zuma as the nation's main talking point.
Most newspapers on Wednesday carried Baxter's resignation, with the Cape Argus saying: "Oops, we've done it again - there goes another Bafana coach."
Johannesburg's Star newspaper led with "Safa's Baxter the wall again" while the mass circulation Sowetan's front page gloated, "Bye Bye Baxter - good riddance as failed Bafana coach calls it quits."
On talk radio stations throughout the country, the majority of listeners expressed their relief at Baxter's departure, blaming him for Bafana Bafana's failure to qualify for next year's World Cup finals.
Others were more sympathetic and pointed the finger instead at Safa and accused South Africa's football chiefs of failing to provide the Englishman with the back-up staff and support he needed.
Baxter himself has made no secret of his unhappiness with the Safa administration for failing to implement his talent identification and development programmes as well as their decision to impose their own support staff on him.
Baxter told a radio station that his job had been hampered by the incompetent people surrounding him.
He said: "It's like having weeds which strangle flowers attempting to blossom."
Despite his failure to make it to Germany 2006, the 52-year old coach qualified Bafana Bafana for the African Cup of Nations in Egypt.
But that was clearly never going to be enough for a country preparing to host the World Cup finals in 2010.
Pitso Mosimane, a former national player who last season guided his Premier League side Supersport United to two Cup titles, is being touted as a possible successor to Baxter.
Baxter himself has recommended his former assistant Steve Komphela, the man in charge of the under-23 team.