South African striker Benny McCarthy says he is 'extremely disappointed' at missing out on a move to Everton from FC Porto.
South Africa's Benni McCarthy is staying at FC Porto
He says that the Portuguese side pulled the plug on the deal just hours before the transfer deadline.
"The deal was done, everything had been agreed with Everton and then they pulled the plug. I don't know why," McCarthy said.
McCarthy said he has long held out dreams of playing in the Premiership and proposed moves to Aston Villa and Middlesborough in the past had both fallen through.
"This was my chance to go," said the 26-year-old.
McCarthy says he now has to knuckle down and consolidate his position at the Uefa Champions League winners but that his job is not made any easier by the signing of Brazilian international Luis Fabiano.
"I don't understand why they did not let me go.
"I've played my heart out for Porto over the last year and they told me that if I could find another club I could move because they had Derlei back and were signing Luis Fabiano."
McCarthy was the top goalscorer in the Portuguese league last season but lost out on a starting place in the Uefa Champions League final when Derlei returned from injury.
Porto had also set up a separate deal with a club in France but Everton offered a better package to Porto, according to McCarthy.
McCarthy says he is finding it difficult to put the disappointment of the botched move behind him as he prepares for South Africa's World Cup Group Two clash in Kinshasa on Sunday.
He will return to Porto on Tuesday after the World Cup commitment, his 54th appearance for his country.